Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club 85997

Newbie Posts: 42
Re: Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
« Reply #751 on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:13 AM »
Big fan of both the Sidekick and Wingman.  I got a Wave very shortly after having the other tools and what I can tell you is this, its AWESOME.  I later got a Surge and well, its, AWESOMER. 

IMO being a light user of your MT doesn't negate having either the Wave or Surge.  Its more about capability.  My suggestion would be if you end up deciding on either the Wave or Surge be sure to get the bit cards and extender.
I can imagine how it feels! The Charge Tti package does come with the bitkit and pocketclip, but I can't bring myself to buy it as its also a midsize MT like my Wingman.

But I'm sure down the road I'll get a Bit Kit just so to complete the accessories.
« Reply #752 on: March 12, 2017, 01:19:12 AM »
How is silicone on your OHT?

By the way, my family just received a large cash gift and I suddenly had an impulse to buy another Leatherman. I did a quick research and considered getting a Charge Tti, Surge, Wave and Rebar. I was already in the Leatherman shop and about to buy a Surge when the wife said to think about it more. So I just postponed my purchase and bought a leather pouch in the meantime.

Since I really don't use my multitools much, I couldn't find a good enough reason to upgrade...for now.

I really like the size, pocket clip, scissors and springed pliers of my Wingman!
Your wife is smart.  Avoid impulse buying.
A Wave is a baby Surge. 

Charge Tti is  an expensive Wave, IMHO.

Do right by your needs and family.  No need to impress us virtual friends, we accept you for just having interest!

Of course a Picture of leather pouch will will help calm my buying impluse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After reading various reviews, those are the same conclusions I came up with! Its either I upsize (Surge) or downsize (pockettools) relative to my Wingman.

In the meantime, to satisfy the urge, I got this for my Wingman for around $9. Its a bit big for it, though. But I like the horizontal carry feature.
« Reply #753 on: March 12, 2017, 01:23:37 AM »
How is silicone on your OHT?

By the way, my family just received a large cash gift and I suddenly had an impulse to buy another Leatherman. I did a quick research and considered getting a Charge Tti, Surge, Wave and Rebar. I was already in the Leatherman shop and about to buy a Surge when the wife said to think about it more. So I just postponed my purchase and bought a leather pouch in the meantime.

Since I really don't use my multitools much, I couldn't find a good enough reason to upgrade...for now.

I really like the size, pocket clip, scissors and springed pliers of my Wingman!
Your wife is smart.  Avoid impulse buying.
A Wave is a baby Surge. 

Charge Tti is  an expensive Wave, IMHO.

Do right by your needs and family.  No need to impress us virtual friends, we accept you for just having interest!

Of course a Picture of leather pouch will will help calm my buying impluse

So far it's all good. No problems with the oht after it's silicone bath. Still early days yet though.

I agree with what LoopCutter has said. Needs over wants. And take your time to choose a multitool, no rushing needed.

If you must treat yourself then consider something like a rambler (victorinox) or i3s (olight) for your key ring, less expensive and still very useful.
I do have some non-Leatherman pockettools around, but not a true MT heavy weight. I think I'll buy that Surge anytime soon when there's a sale as its currently being sold at $160 here at full retail price with 25 year warranty.

Last night though I saw this unused Texas Tool Crafters item on sale for only $140, unfortunately I was late by a day as someone bought it already!

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my Wingman as my first LM tool!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:27:38 AM by an0nemus »
« Reply #754 on: March 12, 2017, 01:26:02 AM »
Hello good Wingman/Sidekick owners. I bought a Wingman from Walmart.ca last week. It sure comes in some unusually tough packaging.

I haven't opened it yet, but notice odd rust like color between the printed letters on the handles. There's also circles of this color on the handles around the pivot screws. Below is a close up photo.

Do you think this is rust?  It also kind of looks like it could be stamped plated metal with a copper colored core and a silver color plated surface. Anyone know?

Thanks

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like rust to me, jlomein. But wait for the experts opinion here.
Hero Member Posts: 739
« Reply #755 on: March 12, 2017, 01:37:00 AM »
After reading various reviews, those are the same conclusions I came up with! Its either I upsize (Surge) or downsize (pockettools) relative to my Wingman.

In the meantime, to satisfy the urge, I got this for my Wingman for around $9. Its a bit big for it, though. But I like the horizontal carry feature.(Image removed from quote.)
Thank you for the pic of the sheath, I have the same that came with a 2004 Wave.  Also, picked another to hold my bits and extension and a SAK climber.

A Surge sounds like a good fit from your description.   That Texas model was a good price, but not certain your exchange rates. You are in Phillipines?

All the best.

« Reply #756 on: March 12, 2017, 01:42:23 AM »
Hello good Wingman/Sidekick owners. I bought a Wingman from Walmart.ca last week. It sure comes in some unusually tough packaging.

I haven't opened it yet, but notice odd rust like color between the printed letters on the handles. There's also circles of this color on the handles around the pivot screws. Below is a close up photo.

Do you think this is rust?  It also kind of looks like it could be stamped plated metal with a copper colored core and a silver color plated surface. Anyone know?

Thanks

I suspect it is a thin  oil coating applied to non US shipped products.

The Wingman is made of stainless steel, a very rust resistant metal.

Just remember your LM has a 25 year warranty. 

« Reply #757 on: March 12, 2017, 02:00:10 AM »
@LoopCutter--

Yup, I'm here in the Philippines. That unused Texas Surge sold for PHP 7,000 or US$140, at the current exchange rate. A brand new, full retail, full warranty Surge here costs PHP 7,900.

There is a brand new Black Oxide Surge that costs US$130 with black leather sheath, but it has no official warranty. But I don't like black as I prefer shiny tools to look at :)
New User Posts: 2
« Reply #758 on: March 12, 2017, 05:13:53 AM »
Looks like rust to me, jlomein. But wait for the experts opinion here.

Thank you for your input. :)

I suspect it is a thin  oil coating applied to non US shipped products.

The Wingman is made of stainless steel, a very rust resistant metal.

Just remember your LM has a 25 year warranty. 

You could be right, I do remember my Glock coming with a reddish copper like lubricant under the slide.  Thanks for the reply.

I guess I can open it now to verify. Initially I was concerned it could have been a fake that Walmart accepted as a return and put back in stock. 

I could really use the Wingman's clamshell plastic opener on this indestructible packaging...I'll need to find a used Wingman to open this one!   :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:15:05 AM by jlomein »
Full Member Posts: 143
« Reply #759 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
I'm weak, i know. I finally bought one wingman.

I know i will be disappointed compared to my wave, surge st300, cs4 etc, but you know, it's MTO!

I think you might be surprised.  The spung pliers are really nice.  Over all the tool is pretty nice as well.  Congrats.

Indeed, it's quite correct. The file is totally worthless, but the rest is descent.

I'm a bit disappointed by the scissor, they aren't one hand opening on my wingman.

And sadly a wave blade can't go in.
« Reply #760 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:51 AM »
Yohoo! I just bought an unused Charge TTI with bits, nylon pouch, pocket clip and lanyard ring for $100! The seller actually posted a $90 price for his unused TTI but I offered $10 more just to get it. Now my Wingman is going to my son 😁

My wife even congratulated me for my excellent find 😁
« Reply #761 on: March 14, 2017, 05:56:05 AM »
Congratulations, that is an excellent deal. 

« Reply #762 on: March 14, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
Congratulations, that is an excellent deal. 

Thanks, LoopCutter! Been carrying the Charge since I bought it this morning. I must admit I like the Wingman's weight and slimness better, though. It prints less conspicuously when carried vertically :)
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,635
« Reply #763 on: March 14, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
Great deal on the Charge :o You will like it overall better than the Wingman because it is very similarly sized but many more functions :tu: Oh and those nice Ti scales :dd: :like:

« Reply #764 on: March 14, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
Great deal on the Charge :o You will like it overall better than the Wingman because it is very similarly sized but many more functions :tu: Oh and those nice Ti scales :dd: :like:
Thanks, Poncho65! And I extremely enjoyed reading your definitive posts about the Charge in another thread.

Being my first LM, I must admit the Wingman will hold the most sentimental value. Ironically, because of its price, its also the LM I won't mind much losing or getting stolen, compared to the Charge :D
« Reply #765 on: March 14, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
Quote from: an0nemus link=topic=32239.msg1440042#msg1440042
Being my first LM, I must admit the Wingman will hold the most sentimental value. Ironically, because of its price, its also the LM I won't mind much losing or getting stolen, compared to the Charge :D
I do not like it all that I misplace any of my tools.  Especially a tool that I got a good deal becomes more special as it is likely that deal will never be repeated.

My best deal was a ST300 for under$39, and then the Wingman for $19.   And, my WAVE (2004) a gift from my son.

« Reply #766 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »
Quote from: an0nemus link=topic=32239.msg1440042#msg1440042
I do not like it all that I misplace any of my tools.  Especially a tool that I got a good deal becomes more special as it is likely that deal will never be repeated.

My best deal was a ST300 for under$39, and then the Wingman for $19.   And, my WAVE (2004) a gift from my son.

Wow, those are drool-worthy deals, LoopCutter!

You're correct, each LM is valuable in many ways
No Life Club Posts: 1,922 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #767 on: March 20, 2017, 03:56:58 AM »
I picked up a couple of Sidekicks at Home Depot.  I paid the princely sum of $7.52 US for each of them.

2017 - The beginning of a second century for Plierench.
« Reply #768 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:49 AM »
I was in a local "tactical" store here in the Philippines yesterday and saw that it was selling a Wingman for US$89. Wow. It thinks consumers can't check sources online.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:30:21 AM by an0nemus »
Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,562 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #769 on: March 20, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
I picked up a couple of Sidekicks at Home Depot.  I paid the princely sum of $7.52 US for each of them.

That's practically free! :D

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,635
« Reply #770 on: March 20, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
I unfortunately don't have any HD close to me to check :bnghd:

:facepalm:

Great deal though :o :like:

No Life Club Posts: 1,646
« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »
I unfortunately don't have any HD close to me to check :bnghd:

I do!  I'll be on my way to check on them shortly. That's a price worthy of a little driving around. :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
No Life Club Posts: 1,646
« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2017, 01:18:24 AM »
Don't feel too bad Poncho.  I managed to hit 5 home depots today and there was not one Skele or sidekick in any of them. :rant:
No Life Club Posts: 1,922 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #773 on: March 22, 2017, 03:41:06 AM »
Don't feel too bad Poncho.  I managed to hit 5 home depots today and there was not one Skele or sidekick in any of them. :rant:

This Home Depot is perfectly located.  It has good traffic, but no close neighborhood so discretionary spending is slightly lower leaving LM products on the shelf through a few extra markdowns.  I picked up a Kick for $7 a few years back when they discontinued carrying them. 

2017 - The beginning of a second century for Plierench.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $95.00
PayPal Fees: $5.38
Net Balance: $89.62
Below Goal: $185.38
Site Currency: USD
33% 
March Donations

Community Links