Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club

Accujohn · 946 · 132749

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
Reply #751 on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:13 AM
Big fan of both the Sidekick and Wingman.  I got a Wave very shortly after having the other tools and what I can tell you is this, its AWESOME.  I later got a Surge and well, its, AWESOMER. 

IMO being a light user of your MT doesn't negate having either the Wave or Surge.  Its more about capability.  My suggestion would be if you end up deciding on either the Wave or Surge be sure to get the bit cards and extender.
I can imagine how it feels! The Charge Tti package does come with the bitkit and pocketclip, but I can't bring myself to buy it as its also a midsize MT like my Wingman.

But I'm sure down the road I'll get a Bit Kit just so to complete the accessories.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #752 on: March 12, 2017, 01:19:12 AM
How is silicone on your OHT?

By the way, my family just received a large cash gift and I suddenly had an impulse to buy another Leatherman. I did a quick research and considered getting a Charge Tti, Surge, Wave and Rebar. I was already in the Leatherman shop and about to buy a Surge when the wife said to think about it more. So I just postponed my purchase and bought a leather pouch in the meantime.

Since I really don't use my multitools much, I couldn't find a good enough reason to upgrade...for now.

I really like the size, pocket clip, scissors and springed pliers of my Wingman!
Your wife is smart.  Avoid impulse buying.
A Wave is a baby Surge. 

Charge Tti is  an expensive Wave, IMHO.

Do right by your needs and family.  No need to impress us virtual friends, we accept you for just having interest!

Of course a Picture of leather pouch will will help calm my buying impluse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After reading various reviews, those are the same conclusions I came up with! Its either I upsize (Surge) or downsize (pockettools) relative to my Wingman.

In the meantime, to satisfy the urge, I got this for my Wingman for around $9. Its a bit big for it, though. But I like the horizontal carry feature.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #753 on: March 12, 2017, 01:23:37 AM
How is silicone on your OHT?

By the way, my family just received a large cash gift and I suddenly had an impulse to buy another Leatherman. I did a quick research and considered getting a Charge Tti, Surge, Wave and Rebar. I was already in the Leatherman shop and about to buy a Surge when the wife said to think about it more. So I just postponed my purchase and bought a leather pouch in the meantime.

Since I really don't use my multitools much, I couldn't find a good enough reason to upgrade...for now.

I really like the size, pocket clip, scissors and springed pliers of my Wingman!
Your wife is smart.  Avoid impulse buying.
A Wave is a baby Surge. 

Charge Tti is  an expensive Wave, IMHO.

Do right by your needs and family.  No need to impress us virtual friends, we accept you for just having interest!

Of course a Picture of leather pouch will will help calm my buying impluse

So far it's all good. No problems with the oht after it's silicone bath. Still early days yet though.

I agree with what LoopCutter has said. Needs over wants. And take your time to choose a multitool, no rushing needed.

If you must treat yourself then consider something like a rambler (victorinox) or i3s (olight) for your key ring, less expensive and still very useful.
I do have some non-Leatherman pockettools around, but not a true MT heavy weight. I think I'll buy that Surge anytime soon when there's a sale as its currently being sold at $160 here at full retail price with 25 year warranty.

Last night though I saw this unused Texas Tool Crafters item on sale for only $140, unfortunately I was late by a day as someone bought it already!

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my Wingman as my first LM tool!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:27:38 AM by an0nemus »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #754 on: March 12, 2017, 01:26:02 AM
Hello good Wingman/Sidekick owners. I bought a Wingman from Walmart.ca last week. It sure comes in some unusually tough packaging.

I haven't opened it yet, but notice odd rust like color between the printed letters on the handles. There's also circles of this color on the handles around the pivot screws. Below is a close up photo.

Do you think this is rust?  It also kind of looks like it could be stamped plated metal with a copper colored core and a silver color plated surface. Anyone know?

Thanks

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like rust to me, jlomein. But wait for the experts opinion here.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #755 on: March 12, 2017, 01:37:00 AM
After reading various reviews, those are the same conclusions I came up with! Its either I upsize (Surge) or downsize (pockettools) relative to my Wingman.

In the meantime, to satisfy the urge, I got this for my Wingman for around $9. Its a bit big for it, though. But I like the horizontal carry feature.(Image removed from quote.)
Thank you for the pic of the sheath, I have the same that came with a 2004 Wave.  Also, picked another to hold my bits and extension and a SAK climber.

A Surge sounds like a good fit from your description.   That Texas model was a good price, but not certain your exchange rates. You are in Phillipines?

All the best.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #756 on: March 12, 2017, 01:42:23 AM
Hello good Wingman/Sidekick owners. I bought a Wingman from Walmart.ca last week. It sure comes in some unusually tough packaging.

I haven't opened it yet, but notice odd rust like color between the printed letters on the handles. There's also circles of this color on the handles around the pivot screws. Below is a close up photo.

Do you think this is rust?  It also kind of looks like it could be stamped plated metal with a copper colored core and a silver color plated surface. Anyone know?

Thanks

I suspect it is a thin  oil coating applied to non US shipped products.

The Wingman is made of stainless steel, a very rust resistant metal.

Just remember your LM has a 25 year warranty. 

Hope yours is as good!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #757 on: March 12, 2017, 02:00:10 AM
@LoopCutter--

Yup, I'm here in the Philippines. That unused Texas Surge sold for PHP 7,000 or US$140, at the current exchange rate. A brand new, full retail, full warranty Surge here costs PHP 7,900.

There is a brand new Black Oxide Surge that costs US$130 with black leather sheath, but it has no official warranty. But I don't like black as I prefer shiny tools to look at :)

Offline jlomein

Reply #758 on: March 12, 2017, 05:13:53 AM
Looks like rust to me, jlomein. But wait for the experts opinion here.

Thank you for your input. :)

I suspect it is a thin  oil coating applied to non US shipped products.

The Wingman is made of stainless steel, a very rust resistant metal.

Just remember your LM has a 25 year warranty. 

You could be right, I do remember my Glock coming with a reddish copper like lubricant under the slide.  Thanks for the reply.

I guess I can open it now to verify. Initially I was concerned it could have been a fake that Walmart accepted as a return and put back in stock. 

I could really use the Wingman's clamshell plastic opener on this indestructible packaging...I'll need to find a used Wingman to open this one!   :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:15:05 AM by jlomein »

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #759 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:18 AM
I'm weak, i know. I finally bought one wingman.

I know i will be disappointed compared to my wave, surge st300, cs4 etc, but you know, it's MTO!

I think you might be surprised.  The spung pliers are really nice.  Over all the tool is pretty nice as well.  Congrats.

Indeed, it's quite correct. The file is totally worthless, but the rest is descent.

I'm a bit disappointed by the scissor, they aren't one hand opening on my wingman.

And sadly a wave blade can't go in.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #760 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:51 AM
Yohoo! I just bought an unused Charge TTI with bits, nylon pouch, pocket clip and lanyard ring for $100! The seller actually posted a $90 price for his unused TTI but I offered $10 more just to get it. Now my Wingman is going to my son 😁

My wife even congratulated me for my excellent find 😁

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #761 on: March 14, 2017, 05:56:05 AM
Congratulations, that is an excellent deal. 

Hope yours is as good!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #762 on: March 14, 2017, 08:16:07 AM
Congratulations, that is an excellent deal. 

Thanks, LoopCutter! Been carrying the Charge since I bought it this morning. I must admit I like the Wingman's weight and slimness better, though. It prints less conspicuously when carried vertically :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #763 on: March 14, 2017, 02:40:48 PM
Great deal on the Charge :o You will like it overall better than the Wingman because it is very similarly sized but many more functions :tu: Oh and those nice Ti scales :dd: :like:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #764 on: March 14, 2017, 02:46:19 PM
Great deal on the Charge :o You will like it overall better than the Wingman because it is very similarly sized but many more functions :tu: Oh and those nice Ti scales :dd: :like:
Thanks, Poncho65! And I extremely enjoyed reading your definitive posts about the Charge in another thread.

Being my first LM, I must admit the Wingman will hold the most sentimental value. Ironically, because of its price, its also the LM I won't mind much losing or getting stolen, compared to the Charge :D

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #765 on: March 14, 2017, 04:25:40 PM
Quote from: an0nemus link=topic=32239.msg1440042#msg1440042
Being my first LM, I must admit the Wingman will hold the most sentimental value. Ironically, because of its price, its also the LM I won't mind much losing or getting stolen, compared to the Charge :D
I do not like it all that I misplace any of my tools.  Especially a tool that I got a good deal becomes more special as it is likely that deal will never be repeated.

My best deal was a ST300 for under$39, and then the Wingman for $19.   And, my WAVE (2004) a gift from my son.

Hope yours is as good!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #766 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:52 AM
Quote from: an0nemus link=topic=32239.msg1440042#msg1440042
I do not like it all that I misplace any of my tools.  Especially a tool that I got a good deal becomes more special as it is likely that deal will never be repeated.

My best deal was a ST300 for under$39, and then the Wingman for $19.   And, my WAVE (2004) a gift from my son.

Wow, those are drool-worthy deals, LoopCutter!

You're correct, each LM is valuable in many ways

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #767 on: March 20, 2017, 03:56:58 AM
I picked up a couple of Sidekicks at Home Depot.  I paid the princely sum of $7.52 US for each of them.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #768 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:49 AM
I was in a local "tactical" store here in the Philippines yesterday and saw that it was selling a Wingman for US$89. Wow. It thinks consumers can't check sources online.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:30:21 AM by an0nemus »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #769 on: March 20, 2017, 09:21:02 AM
I picked up a couple of Sidekicks at Home Depot.  I paid the princely sum of $7.52 US for each of them.

That's practically free! :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #770 on: March 20, 2017, 01:27:53 PM
I unfortunately don't have any HD close to me to check :bnghd:

:facepalm:

Great deal though :o :like:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #771 on: March 21, 2017, 01:09:24 PM
I unfortunately don't have any HD close to me to check :bnghd:

I do!  I'll be on my way to check on them shortly. That's a price worthy of a little driving around. :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #772 on: March 22, 2017, 01:18:24 AM
Don't feel too bad Poncho.  I managed to hit 5 home depots today and there was not one Skele or sidekick in any of them. :rant:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #773 on: March 22, 2017, 03:41:06 AM
Don't feel too bad Poncho.  I managed to hit 5 home depots today and there was not one Skele or sidekick in any of them. :rant:

This Home Depot is perfectly located.  It has good traffic, but no close neighborhood so discretionary spending is slightly lower leaving LM products on the shelf through a few extra markdowns.  I picked up a Kick for $7 a few years back when they discontinued carrying them. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #774 on: June 20, 2017, 11:02:22 PM
I don't have one of these (yet)  :) but for the price they sure seem hard to beat. And ... not too terribly big or heavy for EDC.
I do think I'd take a Side kick over the Wingman, I always carry a micra for the scissors if nothing else, (Love those) and I prefer a straight blade. If I could swap out one thing, it would be the package opener from the Wingman for either the file or the smaller serrated blade.

I've probably one read a 1/4 of this thread so far but someone mentioned sharpening the package opener, for curiosity how would one do that?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #775 on: December 21, 2017, 09:14:43 AM
I posted this in another thread but thought it belonged here...

There's this maintenance guy I know swears by his Leatherman Wingman. Up til now, I have only ever given one to my youngest nephew, but in considering Christmas gifts, the Wingman surfaced once more (not for that nephew, obviously).

Along comes Lynn LeFey and the post of a nice polished PST for sale, and waxing poetic when comparing that polish to newer tools. So I sat with the Wingman in its bubble and my old PST and PST II adjacent.

It hit me how similar the tool load out of the Wingman is to that of the PST II.
Not the same, but almost. Sure, the file is tiny isn't diamond encrusted and the plyers are spring loaded, but the scissors and combo blade are there, even if they are outside open. Phillips head is there. Maybe not the same number of flatheads, but almost. One is replaced by the package opener, which maybe isn't bad, since so many have ruined blades and small drivers buy opening packages.

I don't know why it hasn't hit me before, but is this the PST III? ( Or IV, if you consider the Pulse to be PST III)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #776 on: December 21, 2017, 12:05:34 PM
This is a great place for that type of info :salute: Might help someone make the decision to buy or pass on a Wingman :tu: :like: I love when I get epiphanies like this myself so thanks for sharing yours with us :salute: :like:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #777 on: December 21, 2017, 01:08:16 PM
I keep a Wingman clipped to side pouch of my tool grip. Sees Service frequently, with scissors, combo blade, and pliers doing whatever task required.  Plus the clip keeps it in place and ready for the next task. 

I also, have one at home in the package, ready to be a gift anytime to a friend or family member. 

The Saw on the Sidekick makes it as useful for off-road adventures.

Hope yours is as good!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #778 on: December 21, 2017, 06:17:52 PM
Of all the budget LMs the Wingman is my favorite by a mile and IMO the only one worth getting if you're not ready to step up and get a real LM
But to me this is as real as you could ask.
he uses it provides (OHO Blade and a very nice set of scissors) put to shame other similar priced tools

The drivers are the two basics, 90% of the needs you might have regarding screws will be done by these 2. The flathead is a nice prybar, and the package opener is a much appropriate tool for today's urban chores, something rarely seen on other MTs.

The clip is top notch, a standing point in its design, and the 50/50 edge does also the two kind of cutting 90% of the people face, a finer type of slicing (food, paper, envelopes) and an aggressive, destructive cutting (rope, cardboard, plastics, thin steel) all in one.
The file is quite pitiful but provides a decent grit and surface, nowadays most folks only file their nails and proper work is let to proper specific files and tools

if I had to gift a tool to a non-tool person (AKA Joe Smith guy) and wasn't sure what could he use, how much to spend of what would it be of it, this one would be. He'd get the basics, easy steel to learn on, decent durability and awesome warranty to back it up  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gregpost

Reply #779 on: December 21, 2017, 08:30:28 PM
Your review is excellent and I agree with so much of it. The fact that Wingman fits perfectly in the watch-pocket of my jeans with the clip means I always carry it. Since I always carry it, I always use it. Since I always use it I have come to depend on it for first usage and as you stated most of the times it's all that's needed. If Leatherman improved a few things, it would be even better. Sometimes when cutting things with the pliers I find myself having to do the Wingman wiggle, if that doesn't work I get the ST300 or Rebar out. The scissors on mines have improved if that makes sense and cuts many things, but they could be improved to be more like Leatherman's other excellent scissors. I would ditch the can opener and see if they could do a package opener/wire stripper combo. I wonder how 4 outside tools would affect the pocket ability of the tool. It's made me appreciate combo blades where before I didn't like them. I also like spring pliers, I sometimes do repetitive tasks with the pliers and that helps prevent fatigue and make the task go faster.

My favorite Leatherman design is the Surge but I rarely carry it. I tried a Wave and it felt like a compromised Surge, maybe that is because of the order I familiarized myself with them. The Wave is also not as easy to carry even with the Wave pocket clip, so I loaned it(will probably never get it back) to my cousin and he likes it.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:56:21 PM by gregpost »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD