Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club

Accujohn · 946 · 131712

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
Reply #780 on: December 21, 2017, 10:37:41 PM
My very first genuine Leatherman was a PST II, so I am used to the combo blade. I like it, actually, more than any plain edge alone. So if I have a Rebar or ST, then fine. But if I can have only one blade, then for overall effectiveness I want a combo.

That PST II also had scissors. My first genuine SAK was a Super Tinker which also had scissors, so I like having those as well.

Both are available "above the fold" on the Wingman

(Though I do much prefer a saw when away from work or home such as off road, hiking, camping)

Sad to say, but now I have a hankering for a Wingman. You guys are terrible, man.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #781 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:05 PM
I posted this in another thread but thought it belonged here...

There's this maintenance guy I know swears by his Leatherman Wingman. Up til now, I have only ever given one to my youngest nephew, but in considering Christmas gifts, the Wingman surfaced once more (not for that nephew, obviously).

Along comes Lynn LeFey and the post of a nice polished PST for sale, and waxing poetic when comparing that polish to newer tools. So I sat with the Wingman in its bubble and my old PST and PST II adjacent.

It hit me how similar the tool load out of the Wingman is to that of the PST II.
Not the same, but almost. Sure, the file is tiny isn't diamond encrusted and the plyers are spring loaded, but the scissors and combo blade are there, even if they are outside open. Phillips head is there. Maybe not the same number of flatheads, but almost. One is replaced by the package opener, which maybe isn't bad, since so many have ruined blades and small drivers buy opening packages.

I don't know why it hasn't hit me before, but is this the PST III? ( Or IV, if you consider the Pulse to be PST III)

It's a good point and I'd not quite seen it like that before.  For me though it lacks the ultra slim profile that the PST has that makes it so pocketable. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #782 on: December 22, 2017, 12:17:29 AM
I posted this in another thread but thought it belonged here...

There's this maintenance guy I know swears by his Leatherman Wingman. Up til now, I have only ever given one to my youngest nephew, but in considering Christmas gifts, the Wingman surfaced once more (not for that nephew, obviously).

Along comes Lynn LeFey and the post of a nice polished PST for sale, and waxing poetic when comparing that polish to newer tools. So I sat with the Wingman in its bubble and my old PST and PST II adjacent.

It hit me how similar the tool load out of the Wingman is to that of the PST II.
Not the same, but almost. Sure, the file is tiny isn't diamond encrusted and the plyers are spring loaded, but the scissors and combo blade are there, even if they are outside open. Phillips head is there. Maybe not the same number of flatheads, but almost. One is replaced by the package opener, which maybe isn't bad, since so many have ruined blades and small drivers buy opening packages.

I don't know why it hasn't hit me before, but is this the PST III? ( Or IV, if you consider the Pulse to be PST III)

It's a good point and I'd not quite seen it like that before.  For me though it lacks the ultra slim profile that the PST has that makes it so pocketable.

And you can't whip it open like the PST

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #783 on: December 22, 2017, 12:57:58 AM
Eversince I sold my Charge, Ive been carrying my Wingman until my Rebar arrives. I like the fact that the Wingman's finish is as smooth as SwissTools, and its pliers have springs, but I really don't have the full confidence in it because of its "looseness" compared to how tight the other LMs are (Rebar and up). I feel that its good for light to light-medium duty, though  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:54:56 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #784 on: December 22, 2017, 02:28:27 AM
Gareth and SteveC,

Both true, though I mean it more or less in tool load out.

Not much in that size range is as pocketable as the PST. Perfectly functional with no frills. No locks to hook up on your pocket edge. No rolled edges that make it fatter than need be. Smoothd surfaces with only nail nicks, no slots or rivets for springs...

Still love the Rebar, though. Even with all of those modern features, it is still definitively old school in its marriage of new features with old simplicity

An0nemus, If you think the Wingman' s finish is smooth, the Rebar will captivate you

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #785 on: December 22, 2017, 02:57:26 AM

An0nemus, If you think the Wingman' s finish is smooth, the Rebar will captivate you

Oh wow  :like: :drool:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #786 on: December 22, 2017, 04:08:34 AM
No Rev lovers here?

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #787 on: December 22, 2017, 04:33:00 AM
No Rev lovers here?
I have one, but no love for it, not even to give away.  Keep it in tool box by office.  Purchased when on price reduction after holidays for around $15 I think. 

Was surprised by the more complete yet different packages the Wingman and Sidekick provide, even better when available at holiday prices. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #788 on: December 22, 2017, 05:02:47 AM
No Rev lovers here?
I have one, but no love for it, not even to give away.  Keep it in tool box by office.  Purchased when on price reduction after holidays for around $15 I think. 

Was surprised by the more complete yet different packages the Wingman and Sidekick provide, even better when available at holiday prices. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I personally like the pliers alot more than the ones on the wingman and sidekick. And I like it that there's no wiggle on the handles. Of course there are shortcomings like the blade is not OHO..etc. I married a wingman and rev.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74176.0.html
IMG_20171008_000644-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171008_000644-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 120.2 KB)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:08:24 AM by Sam Lim »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #789 on: December 22, 2017, 05:45:35 AM
Yeah, it's a shame they hobbled the Rev by moving the OHO hole in the blade.

Nice mod, though.  :tu:

I personally have been a fan of the Wingman and Sidekick for years. Just gave my last one away to a friend who works maintenance. I did The bladeswap from Sidekick to Wingman, so the Wingman has the plain edge.

All of these tools are nice, study, basic MTs. I don't want to say 'starters' because a LOT of folks will never need more than these can handle.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #790 on: December 22, 2017, 06:30:34 AM
No Rev lovers here?

Pardon my ignorance, but I have always seen the Rev as a scissors-less Wingman or saw-less Sidekick. Am I mistaken?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #791 on: December 22, 2017, 06:46:00 AM
No Rev lovers here?

Pardon my ignorance, but I have always seen the Rev as a scissors-less Wingman or saw-less Sidekick. Am I mistaken?

...plus, its pliers have no spring (not that its a big deal).

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #792 on: December 22, 2017, 06:53:00 AM
No Rev lovers here?

I see it as mainly the plier type is different. The Rev, imo have strong and excellent cross over wire cutter. The wingman and sidekick they are "pinch" cutter. Does not work well for soft copper wire, takes much more effort to cut hard wire as well.   Rev pliers are also not spring loaded but I see it as a advantage over the other 2. The sprung type are more prone to loose plier pivots. And of course, the thumb notch/nail nick for the Rev blade is strangely positioned, requires 2 hand to open safely. The handle splay is also much wider than the WM and SK.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #793 on: December 22, 2017, 07:37:27 AM
A few years back, I did a simple mod on a Wingman to decrease the handle splay, if you care...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62598.msg1166572.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #794 on: December 22, 2017, 09:07:12 AM
No Rev lovers here?

...plus, its pliers have no spring (not that its a big deal).

Actually that's a plus in my book. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #795 on: December 22, 2017, 11:39:16 AM
No Rev lovers here?

The Rev and the Leap share the same plier head :salute: Plus the frame/handles are a bit different :cheers: My nephew has a Rev and my little girl has a Leap so I had both to compare :tu:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:41:07 AM by Poncho65 »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #796 on: December 22, 2017, 04:03:21 PM
we're used to spring pliers in inexpensive, Chinese or dollar tree MTs and they're often associated with low quality stuff but I admittedly love them on my Wingman, I adore them for certain cutting tasks and I can live with the extra handle splay in return for that feature  8)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #797 on: December 22, 2017, 04:39:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but spring-return pliers are often said to be weaker because of the slot one needs to form around the pivot for housing the spring. Has that ever been a problem in owners' experience?

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #798 on: December 22, 2017, 09:35:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but spring-return pliers are often said to be weaker because of the slot one needs to form around the pivot for housing the spring. Has that ever been a problem in owners' experience?

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

not to me.
But the reasoning seems solid 
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #799 on: December 23, 2017, 04:25:05 PM
My very first genuine Leatherman was a PST II, so I am used to the combo blade. I like it, actually, more than any plain edge alone. So if I have a Rebar or ST, then fine. But if I can have only one blade, then for overall effectiveness I want a combo.

That PST II also had scissors. My first genuine SAK was a Super Tinker which also had scissors, so I like having those as well.

Both are available "above the fold" on the Wingman

(Though I do much prefer a saw when away from work or home such as off road, hiking, camping)

Sad to say, but now I have a hankering for a Wingman. You guys are terrible, man.

Thanks a lot!

While out Christmas shopping, I picked up a Rebar and an REI Signal for my best friend and nephew and a Wingman for an accuaintence.

And another Wingman, for myself.

I feel I should open a new thread with my opinions about this device, but then again, this is the Wingman club...here goes...let me know if I should move this post elsewhere

My first thought after cutting it out of the blister pack was that I appeared to be holding some chintzy manifestation of some thirteen year old's idea of what might make a "cool-looking" multi tool in 2005, and they knew they had to change the look of it to avoid trade mark infringement, and maybe draw attention to it.

The cheapness of the scales was immediately evident. Thinner gauge steel? Different type of steel? Just overly busy for no apparent reason? I don't know, but it's just off. And the "up and down" play in the handles when closed is a bit more than I'm used to. But then, I am used to PST' s, Surge, Rebar, and original Super Tool quality. That's a minus.

When opening the outside, one-handed combo blade, I notice some handle play as I finish that motion and adjust my grip on the handles. There is a little bit of crepitus there as my grip settles on the handles, and it isn't as smooth or solid as my Surge. Then again, what is? But still a minus.

But then I noticed how sharp that combo blade is, and how the bevel grind of the plain part of the blade gave way to the chisel grind of the serrated half. And it was all very sharp and preciscly so, even if the polish was lacking. Plus.

Scissors. Essentially the same as on the OG Surge, but without that stupid dollop of Zytel. Plus.

The screw drivers in and of themselves were good solid pieces, even if attached to scales that might be folded tin can. Plus.

Package opener was also very sharp. Wish I had it when I wa trying to open the package this came in. Plus.

I've seen a lot of grief in regards to the file. I myself saw it in pics and thought, as others did, that it seemed "useless." Well, that depends how we feel about the PS4 file. The useful parts are about the same length and everyone's happy with the PS4 file, so...also the ruler is just stupid but there is a small screwdiiver end on it. this breaks even.

Might I add here that I received a PS4 as an early gift, and in contrast, its build quality feels superb and substantial right out of the box!

Same good wire stripper, smurfty bottle opener, good can opener combo tool as on all the others. Breaks even.

Spring loaded plyers..a matter of preference based on task, I suppose. While not as strong, they can be used on slightly lesser tasks with easier repetition. Even.

Wire cutters not as nice but serviceable.

Pocket clip is different than I'm used to but I already see the draw. Plus.

No bit drivers with springs or bits to lose. Definite plus in my book.

Although we have the warrantee to fall back on, I'd feel less bad if I destroyed this tool than if I'd managed to destroy my Rebar, Surge,OG Super Tool or PST.

So the price isn't as scary. If I broke it, I'd send it in and wouldn't be shy about buying another Wingman to use until the first one came back.

Overall positive, I'd say, with the little use I've made of it

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:36:10 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #800 on: December 23, 2017, 05:15:29 PM
First off your welcome :D and congrats ont he purchase :like:

They really are a pretty good MT and I have never regretted buying mine :cheers: It gets little use only because I have to many other tools to choose from :facepalm: :whistle:

I would be happy to carry it if I had a limited number of MTs though and may even try to carry it in the next while just because :salute: :like:

Offline MichMan

• New User
Reply #801 on: February 26, 2018, 03:51:18 PM
Newbie, glad to have a Sidekick but miss the scissors in my other MT's, can the Wingman scissors replace the saw, and if so how do I find one?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #802 on: March 01, 2018, 06:57:16 AM
Have people seen these yet?
IMG_4347.JPG
* IMG_4347.JPG (Filesize: 182.58 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #803 on: March 01, 2018, 07:09:12 AM

:rofl: Are u in the right thread?  :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #804 on: March 01, 2018, 09:15:20 AM
Newbie, glad to have a Sidekick but miss the scissors in my other MT's, can the Wingman scissors replace the saw, and if so how do I find one?

Welcome to the boards MichMan.   :cheers:   Yes, try asking nicely in the tools needed section.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #805 on: March 01, 2018, 09:15:36 AM

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #806 on: March 02, 2018, 06:25:04 AM

Absoloutley not  :rofl:

How about now??
IMG_4346.JPG
* IMG_4346.JPG (Filesize: 181 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #807 on: March 02, 2018, 08:05:26 AM

How about now??

:D Just out of curiosity, are the handles painted or BO?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #808 on: March 02, 2018, 08:18:23 AM

How about now??

:D Just out of curiosity, are the handles painted or BO?
probably painted. Still looked "inexpensive". It for sure wasn't oxide or even cerakote?

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #809 on: July 18, 2018, 04:30:23 PM
As time goes by I get more and more curious about the Wingman, I'd like to try one, but as they go between $ 70-100 here from vendors and I can't even find one under 65-70 bucks (with shipping) on ebay, it's not easy as I'm not willing to pay that much for something I may not like and/or has some QC risks.

I remember reading here that some of you guys stocked up multiple Wingmans (Wingmen?) from sales and stuff, so I though I'll ask if anyone has a Wingman available at a reasonable price. Used ones are okay too if in decent condition.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%