Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club

Accujohn · 946 · 131528

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
Reply #810 on: July 19, 2018, 12:09:56 PM
I only have the one myself but I will let you know that they are nice tools but depending on what tools you already have and use the most then it may be a bit of a let down :-\ Don't get me wrong they are very capable tools but they were created as an entry level/budget model along with the Sidekick and Rev :cheers: Also there are others here that love them and some of the features they have :tu: Just not my cup of tea I guess ::)

:nanadance:           :nanadance:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #811 on: July 19, 2018, 12:20:52 PM
I only have the one myself but I will let you know that they are nice tools but depending on what tools you already have and use the most then it may be a bit of a let down :-\ Don't get me wrong they are very capable tools but they were created as an entry level/budget model along with the Sidekick and Rev :cheers: Also there are others here that love them and some of the features they have :tu: Just not my cup of tea I guess ::)

Yeah, I'm not expecting the same feel and quality I got with my Pulse, Juice XE6, Rebar and Charge, that's exactly why I don't want to spend the silly prices I mentioned, but want to try a Wingman anyway, just to see it for myself. Reading reviews and watching videos is just not the same. :) ...and by now I read and watched virtually everything, so the only thing left is to have one in hand. :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #812 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:22 PM

Yeah, I'm not expecting the same feel and quality I got with my Pulse, Juice XE6, Rebar and Charge, that's exactly why I don't want to spend the silly prices I mentioned, but want to try a Wingman anyway, just to see it for myself. Reading reviews and watching videos is just not the same. :) ...and by now I read and watched virtually everything, so the only thing left is to have one in hand. :D

With that said good luck in the search and I do hope you find one with a much more agreeable price :salute: :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #813 on: July 19, 2018, 02:03:48 PM

Are there no stores close to you that carry them? :think:
I mean, having a Rebar, Charge or Pulse I would not "downgrade" especially at those prices! :ahhh

Ebay and second hand apps for smartphones might be your friends in that, here they also go for 70EUR new in stores but I've found them for 30-35 on second hand selling apps (like Craigslist but in Spain)

Through that app I found an interested buyer, and sold my Wingman to that neighbor for 30 EUR  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #814 on: July 19, 2018, 02:09:58 PM

I mean, having a Rebar, Charge or Pulse I would not "downgrade" especially at those prices! :ahhh

Ebay and second hand apps for smartphones might be your friends in that, here they also go for 70EUR new in stores but I've found them for 30-35 on second hand selling apps (like Craigslist but in Spain)

Through that app I found an interested buyer, and sold my Wingman to that neighbor for 30 EUR  :cheers:

Well, there's a lot on ebay, but the shipping prices from the US make them almost as expensive as buying them new here, and used ones only pop up once in a blue moon on local listing/auction sites. To be honest I only remember seeing one Wingman (or Sidekick, don't remember) ever.

Offline pdolan

Reply #815 on: July 20, 2018, 01:49:00 AM

I have several LM's and I love them all. But I carry the wingman more than anything else because of its size.  I am always surprised though, about the high prices in the resale market.  I broke a Wingman blade and thought I would just by used to swap, but it ended up being just a few US dollars shy of a new one.  I guess that goes to show you there is a value to investing in these, regardless of how much they appear to cost.  If I keep it in good shape, I believe I could recoup a substantial portion of my investment.  I think it is driven by LM's warranty policy.  Even if you buy a piece of junk, it may be redeemed by Leatherman

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #816 on: August 04, 2018, 06:15:46 PM
I'm in! I found a used Wingman at an acceptable price so I pulled the trigger. It had some rusting at the base of the package opener and around the pivot area of the scissors, but after a trourough cleaning only some "scars",spots left which do not interfere with the functionality at all.

I got rid of the pocket clip, it was a nightmare to put the pivot back because of the spring tension, but for me the clips was useless, and I think its on the "wrong" side to be carried efficiently and comfortably in the right pocket. The knife blade had some side-to-side play but I remedied that by adding a brass washer to the top as well. The edge was factory sharp, and some light stropping made it scary sharp.

The play of the closed handles is an annoyance, especially when opening the knife one handed, but I can live with it.

As I read and watched dozens of reviews and comments, there weren't any real surprises about the quality, and I find this an okay tool, with some appealing qualities but with a couple of (design and production/fit&finish) flaws.

All in all, I'm satisfied with it, but I don't think I will ever call it my favorite MT. Anyway, my curiosity is satisfied now that I own one.

wingman.jpg
* wingman.jpg (Filesize: 73.73 KB)

Offline pdolan

Reply #817 on: August 05, 2018, 10:32:37 PM
I actually have two Wingmen.  The used one I bought several years ago is still my go to.  The newer one needs breaking in, but the older one as my EDC is just smooth and broken-in enough that I can't find the time to break in number two.  Used LM's have a lot of value.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #818 on: August 06, 2018, 03:16:15 AM
Congrats on the new one Exeter :like: They are great MTs in their own rite and I have both a Wingman and SideKick that gets used ever now and again :tu: :like:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #819 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:14 AM
Thanks Poncho!

Question to all of you guys: Does the knife get stuck on your Wingmen if the blade gets pushed too deep into its slot? On mine it does that, if the knife is closed as deep as shown on the pic below, it becomes virtually impossible to open it one handed, I'm just ripping my thumb off when trying. I try not to close it that far, but simply by just handling the tool it inevitably gets pushed down eventually. Any similar experiences?

wingman_blade_1.jpg
* wingman_blade_1.jpg (Filesize: 24.36 KB)
wingman_blade_2.jpg
* wingman_blade_2.jpg (Filesize: 20.83 KB)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:25:18 AM by Exeter »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #820 on: August 06, 2018, 12:06:55 PM
Not thinking mine has this problem :think: I will have to check when I get home this evening :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #821 on: August 06, 2018, 12:43:21 PM
mine didn't have that problem when i had it, at least not that I noticed  ???
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #822 on: August 06, 2018, 01:36:12 PM
Thanks Poncho!

Question to all of you guys: Does the knife get stuck on your Wingmen if the blade gets pushed too deep into its slot? On mine it does that, if the knife is closed as deep as shown on the pic below, it becomes virtually impossible to open it one handed, I'm just ripping my thumb off when trying. I try not to close it that far, but simply by just handling the tool it inevitably gets pushed down eventually. Any similar experiences?

Have u opened up the pivot on the tool side before? Or exposed it to some heat? There will be a plastic bushing/washer in between the scales and frame. It seems to be missing. Giving u lesser/tighter space for your blade.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #823 on: August 06, 2018, 01:47:15 PM
Thanks Poncho!

Have u opened up the pivot on the tool side before? Or exposed it to some heat? There will be a plastic bushing/washer in between the scales and frame. It seems to be missing. Giving u lesser/tighter space for your blade.

Thank you, thank you! You just solved this "mystery"!  :tu:

Yes, I did remove the whole panel and it must have fallen out. Strangely enough just last evening I stepped on a black plastic thingy (my carpet's black, so it was easy not to notice before), and now I know what it was. I took a look and I saw that there's one on the scissor side, so I already put it back on the knife side and now everything works perfectly!

Thanks again, superb help!  :salute:

The little smurf:
wingman_bushing.jpg
* wingman_bushing.jpg (Filesize: 27.99 KB)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:50:56 PM by Exeter »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #824 on: August 06, 2018, 02:05:43 PM
Thanks Poncho!

Thank you, thank you! You just solved this "mystery"!  :tu:

Yes, I did remove the whole panel and it must have fallen out. Strangely enough just last evening I stepped on a black plastic thingy (my carpet's black, so it was easy not to notice before), and now I know what it was. I took a look and I saw that there's one on the scissor side, so I already put it back on the knife side and now everything works perfectly!

Thanks again, superb help!  :salute:

The little smurf:

;) glad to be of help!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #825 on: August 07, 2018, 03:24:55 AM
Nice catch Sam :o :salute: :like:

I never did find mine ::) :facepalm: Glad it was figured out though :cheers:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #826 on: August 07, 2018, 10:58:18 AM
Wingman (Sidekick) pocket clip - why, just why?!  :rant:

I put the previously removed pocket clip back, but this annoys me to no end. I mean the placement/orientation of it. It's just the opposite of how it should be, sits much better in the left pocket than in the right.

(I'm a mixed-handed person, so this is absolutely not against lefties, but seriously, they/we are a minority, how could LM design this so bad?)
wingman_pocket_right.jpg
* wingman_pocket_right.jpg (Filesize: 54.21 KB)
wingman_pocket_left.jpg
* wingman_pocket_left.jpg (Filesize: 66.39 KB)

au Offline Valkie

Reply #827 on: October 21, 2018, 11:02:07 AM
Bought my first wingman 4 years ago in Canada when I was working there.
Found it a very comfortable and useful tool.

I liked it so much I bought 5 more when I came back to Australia
One for each of the brothers in law and one for my son

Later, I misplaced my tool and was lost for it
Searched everywhere, lost it good.

So I bought another and then one more to use when I'm working in marine rescue.
It's been a great tool on the boats.just have to remember to wash it regularly to get the salt off it.

Then I found the one I lost, in the wall unit where I had been using it to tighten up a screw and then put it down
Still had the screwdriver open.

I have not got a sidekick yet, perhaps later

tools is what defines us as humans

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #828 on: October 21, 2018, 07:36:01 PM
Cool stuff mate. 8)  Glad it turned up.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #829 on: October 21, 2018, 09:38:41 PM
 :iagree:     :tu:

au Offline Valkie

Reply #830 on: October 22, 2018, 03:46:33 AM
Funny story about my wingman.

Just before xmas last year, my son asked me to come around and set up his inverter on his caravan.

Id just finished running all the wires and making everything secure when the power from his house cut out and I couldnt drill into the wall to fit the socket.

Brain wave...use the inverter to power the drill, worked like a treat.

Put the drill down and grabbed the wires to trim them so I could wire up the powerpoint,

Cut into the cable and got a hit from the 240 volts from the inverter.

What happened next is difficult to describe without laughing.
My son was sitting on the bed, I was on the floor.
when I copped the hit i yelled and threw my hands away from the voltage.
the wingman flew across the floor and the point went straight into my sons big toe.
He was more concerned about me copping a charge and jumped up to see if I was ok.
He felt the knife hit his toe, but ignored it.

Only when we were trying to work out where all the blood was coming from did we discover that it had opened up his toe beautifully.
I made sure the inverter was off before I did any more work.

And why did the power from the house cut off?
His son wanted to play the play station and pulled the plug.

Life is a real laugh sometimes.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #831 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:53 PM
 :ahhh Glad everyone is OK after all that from last year :o

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #832 on: October 22, 2018, 01:56:22 PM
^ +1  Yikes    :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #833 on: October 22, 2018, 02:05:27 PM
Funny story about my wingman.

Just before xmas last year, my son asked me to come around and set up his inverter on his caravan.

Id just finished running all the wires and making everything secure when the power from his house cut out and I couldnt drill into the wall to fit the socket.

Brain wave...use the inverter to power the drill, worked like a treat.

Put the drill down and grabbed the wires to trim them so I could wire up the powerpoint,

Cut into the cable and got a hit from the 240 volts from the inverter.

What happened next is difficult to describe without laughing.
My son was sitting on the bed, I was on the floor.
when I copped the hit i yelled and threw my hands away from the voltage.
the wingman flew across the floor and the point went straight into my sons big toe.
He was more concerned about me copping a charge and jumped up to see if I was ok.
He felt the knife hit his toe, but ignored it.

Only when we were trying to work out where all the blood was coming from did we discover that it had opened up his toe beautifully.
I made sure the inverter was off before I did any more work.

And why did the power from the house cut off?
His son wanted to play the play station and pulled the plug.

Life is a real laugh sometimes.

Hard to read without chuckling a little as well. :D  I hope you don't think too poorly of me.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #834 on: October 23, 2018, 01:09:28 AM
To be honest, once we cleaned up the blood and patched up his toe, we all had a good laugh.

It could have been a lot worse, and Ill bet we don't forget to turn off an inverter before we play with the wiring again, lesson learned.

Most importantly, the tool was undamaged. :rofl:

This is the offending tool

WINGMAN.jpg
* WINGMAN.jpg (Filesize: 156.84 KB)

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #835 on: October 23, 2018, 09:27:48 PM
Leatherman Wigman black and silver. Engraved with a John Candy part quote.
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #836 on: October 23, 2018, 09:32:32 PM
 :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Offline vwb563

• New User
Reply #838 on: October 29, 2018, 01:13:55 AM
I'm in with two Wingmans and one Sidekick.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #839 on: October 29, 2018, 11:43:19 AM
Nice vw :tu: and welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30