Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club

Accujohn · 946 · 131729

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Re: Leatherman SIDEKICK / WINGMAN Owners Club
Reply #90 on: December 28, 2011, 08:05:04 PM
i just tightened mine and it was fine.

you could take the clip off and bend it inward if it was bent.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #91 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:53 PM
Been a Wingman owner for about a month and I must say I am impressed. I am use to lugging around an ST 300 and this is quite nice. Had my first build with it the other day.

It a "rattlesnake" for an envelope my wife wanted one for her friends Cmas gift.

---
I am here:

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #92 on: December 31, 2011, 04:31:02 PM
BTW TAPATALK is great!
I am actually looking for other forums
to join.

Any suggestions?
THANKS DEF it was worth the money.

---
I am here:

ca Offline misscase530

• There, it's fixed!
Reply #93 on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:16 PM
Got my wingman, then bought 3 others as gifts for people who never have had a MT before.  The wingman is incredible value for the money.  For $25 you get a Swisstool-like MT with a high polish finish, an interesting clamshell opener, a great knife/scissors outside opening combo and a slim MT that clips unobtrusively in your pocket.  I carry this as a light duty EDC when I am just hanging around and don't want a full size tool.  The only flaw to the tool is the shape, the pliers don't open wide enough and your hands slide up the to the end of the tool along the curved underside.  I have tried engraving some patterning to stop the sliding but it doesn't help much hence I classify this as middle duty.  To crank away on that rusted shower head you'll still need your ST300.  Overall it is still a 9/10 for a middle duty MT.
120101-150805.jpg
* 120101-150805.jpg (Filesize: 131.86 KB)
Duct Tape, For Your Soul

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #94 on: January 02, 2012, 11:22:12 PM
I have one of each, and I also gifted one of each. Pretty decent tools for the money.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #95 on: January 07, 2012, 08:25:57 AM
I just had a thought  ::) :D :D, The Wingman/Sidekick are just like Spyderco's Tenacious. So many people get a Tenacious & think "wow what a great knife for the $" & end up buying more Spyderco's.

A great low risk(financially)purchase that gets customers through the door so to speak. 8) 8).

Me I have a Tenacious & find myself eyeing off a Carbon Fibre Sage  :ahhh :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #96 on: January 07, 2012, 11:04:03 AM
Yes Leatherman have got their heads screwed on alright , and the tools is perfectly usable too .I'm still carrying and using mine .

Offline Rollo

Reply #97 on: February 04, 2012, 04:07:21 AM
I just got my Wingman today at sears.  Paid 30.00 out the door.  I was very excited as I had been looking for a tool with spring loaded pliers with a pocket clip and decent drivers.  While the tool has everything I want it has a TON of play in it.  If I close the and grab one handle with one hand and the other handle with the other hand and jiggle the handles there's probably a 16th of a inch of movement.  Theres also a decent amount of forward play in the blade.  Going to take it back next time I'm at the mall :(

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: February 04, 2012, 04:10:30 PM
I finally received my Sidekick.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #99 on: February 12, 2012, 11:45:33 AM
Just picked up the Wingman and I love it. The blade is razor sharp, and I was able to shave my arm with it. Surprisingly my favorite tool on it, is the package open. I don't know why but I have fun with the little thing. Here is an idea I have and please let me know if you think it will work.
I really dislike the the scissors on my wave, and the fact i have to open the tool to get to them. I edc a style cs which I believe have the best scissors of any LM product I've used. I want to edc the wingman and I want to  keep my wave in my jeep or carry when camping. Since I really dont need the scissors on the wingman due to the style, I'm thinking of swapping the file on the wave for the scissors on my wingman.  I love the idea of scissors on the exterior of the wave, and the diamond file is my favorite tool on it. I would love to edc the file on my wingman. Do you guys think this mod is possible?

GSterling

Reply #100 on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:19 AM
i am a new member to  :MTO:
i have a sidekick :multi:
can i join the club ?  :whistle:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #101 on: May 02, 2012, 02:11:10 PM
Just picked up the Wingman and I love it. The blade is razor sharp, and I was able to shave my arm with it. Surprisingly my favorite tool on it, is the package open. I don't know why but I have fun with the little thing. Here is an idea I have and please let me know if you think it will work.
I really dislike the the scissors on my wave, and the fact i have to open the tool to get to them. I edc a style cs which I believe have the best scissors of any LM product I've used. I want to edc the wingman and I want to  keep my wave in my jeep or carry when camping. Since I really dont need the scissors on the wingman due to the style, I'm thinking of swapping the file on the wave for the scissors on my wingman.  I love the idea of scissors on the exterior of the wave, and the diamond file is my favorite tool on it. I would love to edc the file on my wingman. Do you guys think this mod is possible?

I don't see a way to install the scissors in your Wave's file pocket without having to remove the thumb pad. 

i am a new member to  :MTO:
i have a sidekick :multi:
can i join the club ?  :whistle:

Welcome!!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #102 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:01 AM
I picked a Wingman up in March. I guess i never noticed this thread until it bumped up back toward the top.

Overall, for the price, the Wingman is a pretty good tool. As blade and scissors are the two tools I use most often, it's selection and placement of tools is pretty nice.

Offline wproct

• New User
Reply #103 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:53 AM
My first post.  I recently purchased a Wingman, and for the money, I think it is an excellent tool.  I really like the easy access to the knife blade and scissors.

Offline jwh

Reply #104 on: May 29, 2012, 03:54:26 AM
I now have a Wingman that I acquired as a replacement for a pair of returned hiking pants. Pants no fit, Wingman looked like good value. So far it's not had any issues.

jwh

Offline dumluk

Reply #105 on: May 29, 2012, 07:35:17 PM
Just got a Wingman today, can I join the club? 

I like this inexpensive little tool so far.  However, I need to tune up the blade a bit.  There are some burrs on the back side of the serrations that need attention.  I like how you can poke the alternate tools from the backside, if your nails are not long enough to get under the little notches for deploying.

Offline jwh

Reply #106 on: May 29, 2012, 08:17:07 PM

I like how you can poke the alternate tools from the backside, if your nails are not long enough to get under the little notches for deploying.

Me as well. I tightened mine down to get rid of blade play so they are tough to open but your trick works well.

jwh

us Offline JimShockz

• The early bird get the Worm!
Reply #107 on: May 30, 2012, 04:00:31 PM

I like how you can poke the alternate tools from the backside, if your nails are not long enough to get under the little notches for deploying.

Me as well. I tightened mine down to get rid of blade play so they are tough to open but your trick works well.

jwh

yes very true,I always use locktight to keep it tighter. :whistle:

-JS

us Offline wildcatmo

Reply #108 on: June 25, 2012, 06:24:39 PM
Just picked up a WM from Home Depot last week, got it out of the packaging and think if I tried to sell it today, I would have a hard time convincing someone that it was brand new. This has the look of a refurbished tool.

us Offline Jadaba

• New User
  • Let's not go there.
Reply #109 on: June 26, 2012, 01:53:41 AM
I'm in the club, got my sidekick from Amazon about a week or so ago. Ironically my favorite part is the carabiner. Otherwise I just like the polished finish it has. The play in the blade is unsettling to me, the wire cutters don't seem to close all the way, much less overlap like on all my other Leatherman tools, and overall the tool doesn't seem very sturdy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the tool. I just don't want to like it. I'm a quality snob.
~Jadaba

us Offline Clark

Reply #110 on: July 01, 2012, 05:30:51 AM
Got the wingman like it for the price.  I stuck on  only carrying MT's with tools on the out side.  I keep my Charge on my duty belt and my Wingman in a pouch on my tac-vest.   I have not got he Sidekick yet but it's on list,  just checked eBay only $33 shipped not bad. 
Clark

us Offline MultiFool

Reply #111 on: October 23, 2012, 09:56:33 PM
Got a wingman in hand, and a Sidekick on the way. I like the spring loaded pliers, more than I thought I would.

Surprisingly, Im really liking the feel of the wingman over the wave.
The fact that the blades stick out when closed on the wave, makes it way less comfortable than the wingman. Im thinking about lego'ing the 3, into my ideal EDC MT.

I was intrigued by the 3bearnecesseties youtube video.
I am really interested in getting a bit driver in the wingman.

My question is, will I be able to fit the philips and flat head drivers from the wingman into the wave?
Id hate to have a totally useless (more expensive) tool laying around.
I sure wish LM would sell the individual pieces!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:58:34 PM by MultiFool »

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #112 on: October 23, 2012, 11:11:24 PM
Home depot
CHEERS

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #113 on: October 23, 2012, 11:58:26 PM
I have a Wingman and particularly like the package opener. However, a little bit of lubricant seems to sometimes leak out of the plier joint, which bugs me slightly.

us Offline redbaron

• I've made some things
Reply #114 on: October 24, 2012, 02:59:29 AM
sign me up :multi:

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #115 on: October 30, 2012, 01:05:28 AM
I'm in. Just got my Wingman today in the Home Depot combo pack with the Style CS.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #116 on: October 30, 2012, 01:08:53 AM
I just noticed the Leatherman name is not stamped into the plier head. Is this the case with all Wingmans?

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline MultiFool

Reply #117 on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:50 AM
^^ Yes that's normal. Sidekick too.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #118 on: October 30, 2012, 04:33:55 AM
I just noticed the Leatherman name is not stamped into the plier head. Is this the case with all Wingmans?

its to save on cost to make the wingman as cheap as it is.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Offline coastalchris

Reply #119 on: October 30, 2012, 09:28:50 PM
Picked up this comba pack today.  Liking the wingman so far, Spring action for the pliers is nice.  So is the package opener.  Its not a wave but i was not expecting it to be

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%