Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

FrankenWingKick

ca Offline angusW

FrankenWingKick
on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:48 AM
I've had the Wingman for a few days. Picked up another yesterday and the Sidekick I ordered came in today. I thought the Wingman is a pretty good multitool but two things I didn't like about it. First was the knife. I don't like ce and I always carry a good pocket knife so I wanted to get rid of it. Second was I wanted to have the saw but also keep the scissors so I did a bit of an operation.

In order for the saw to lockup properly I took it to the belt grinder for a second. Now the lockup is excellent.

If anyone else wants to post their FrenkenWingKicks then lets see them.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
FrankenWingKick
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:02:57 AM
No blade at all?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: FrankenWingKick
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:08:02 AM
Good work.  :tu: If you already carry a EDC blade and don't need another than I think its a great idea.
I'm the milk man!

Offline shecky

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 05:34:32 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

In order for the saw to lockup properly I took it to the belt grinder for a second. Now the lockup is excellent.
(Image removed from quote.)

Looking my Wingman over, I was admiring how the blade had such perfect lockup despite the locking surface of the tang being obviously polished. Then I realized the handwork getting lockup perfect was on the top of the blade, where it stops against the handle. This spot has what appears to be the only non automated grindmarks to be found on the whole tool. Very clever, Leatherman.

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:22:08 AM
Well DONE!

I think I am going to do the same, it would make a great light duty stainless combo with a decent beater blade.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
FrankenWingKick
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:11:37 AM
The thought of no blade had crossed my mind but i always think in terms of each tool having some capacity as a stand alone. Food for thought. I did the same as he, but with the plain blade... No scissors

ca Offline angusW

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:51:57 PM
No blade at all?

No blade at all. I was thinking of putting on the small serrated blade from the Kickman in place of the can opener but decided against it as I usual have either a Spyderco Tasman Salt or Dragonfly H1 both with serrated blade on me. I also carry another Spyderco of some sort in plain edge in the pocket as well so I've got the knife angle covered. For me the saw is more usefull on a multitool than a knife.

=============
On a side note, the saw does have a slight up and down movement. Nothing major and the lockup is solid. Also the saw when folded, fits really nice. I forgot to take a pic of it. I'll try to post one later. If someone wants to try it out it's not difficult. Just a very small amount of material was removed. I didn't need to use the belt grinder. A file would have worked just fine.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%