Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Navy 2001 Tool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Navy 2001 Tool
on: October 21, 2011, 09:53:22 PM
Well it's here- I'd like to point out first that it does indeed seem like an Atwood copy.  I can't dance around that- the pictures Nate posted show a lot more of a similarity than could be coincidence.

That having been said, and since I have no experience with any Atwoods, I am looking at this with a slightly different slant than Nate did, and I'm going to assess it simply as a tool, not as a pale shadow of what it is pretending to be.  After all, our philosophy at Multitool.org is that names mean little and a tool should work, regardless of what's stamped on it.

I have yet to really use this for anything, but I did want to document my initial thoughts.  First off, it's about the size I was expecting.  Nate had commented that it's smaller than the Atwood, but it's very similarly sized to the other one pieces I have in my collection, like the Raker Ring Tools, Gerber Shard and Superior Titanium Shark.

Here's a direct comparison with the Shard:

One of the neat things about this tool is the texturing along all the outer edges to increase grip.  I've always appreciated the jimping on the Shard edges to increase grip during use, making it somewhat more effective by allowing you a better hold on it, and the Navy 2001 has the same thing, only different!  :D 

Instead of exaggerated jimping like the Shard, the Navy 2001 has an evenly spaced number of small slots that increase grip significantly.

I'll update this as this thing sees some more use.

BTW, in case anyone is still not clear, this is a blatant rip off of an Atwood design, and no one should consider supporting this level of evil.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Navy 2001 Tool
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:19:19 AM
Thanks for the initial thoughts, looking forward to hearing how it works for you. :salute: By the way, just curious, how much does this level of evil cost as compared with a holy Atwood original?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 02:45:56 AM
Thanks for the initial thoughts, looking forward to hearing how it works for you. :salute: By the way, just curious, how much does this level of evil cost as compared with a holy Atwood original?

Approximately 1/10 (actually about 1/9).  That means it has 9 to 10 times the evilness.*

*Assuming the theory that all inanimate objects have equivalent evilness-price cross product.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:54:00 AM
Thanks buddy- I honestly didn't remember what the going rate for evil bottle openers was...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 04:28:55 AM

Approximately 1/10 (actually about 1/9).  That means it has 9 to 10 times the evilness.*

That's a great deal.  I mean, where else are you going to find that much evil for the price?  I mean, as a consumer it really behooves you to maximize your return for evil-on-the-dollar.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 05:20:11 AM

Bob could you tell if the markings along edge are leftover from water jet or some other cutting, or was added after?

As for the evilness, I just bought a knock off (exact copy) of a well known knife that I can't afford. If the fanboys found out they'd probably crucify me then lynch me after. No I'm not telling what it is, not yet anyway.  :P

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:43 AM
Is there a post that runs down all the one-piece tools and gives updated stats and current votes and/or overviews to show which is in the lead and which to avoid?

Have picked up a PocketToolX Piranha, although haven't used it much. Got it just in case as I do not have a crescent wrench for EDC. Still looking for a 6" (or so) that opens at least to a full inch and is of a lighter weight alloy for easier EDC.

Seems PocketToolX has updated the Piranha yet haven't broken mine to get the upgraded version.  >:D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 08:46:58 AM
In my mind, the PocketTool X is the best function to price ratio out there.  My Piranha is a workhorse.  It's big for one piece tools but functions very well and has both SAE and metric wrenches.

Really well designed tool.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 02:53:20 PM
Is there a post that runs down all the one-piece tools and gives updated stats and current votes and/or overviews to show which is in the lead and which to avoid?

Tragically no- there's no way to really make such a list as one piece tools can be pretty simplistic, and just about everyone has had a shot at making them.  Other guys, like Raker make continual adjustments to the design without giving them model numbers or SKUs so there's no way to differentiate the models without a description.

Def

Offline ksho7471

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:36:58 AM

Tragically no- there's no way to really make such a list as one piece tools can be pretty simplistic, and just about everyone has had a shot at making them.  Other guys, like Raker make continual adjustments to the design without giving them model numbers or SKUs so there's no way to differentiate the models without a description.

Def

I think its a great idea! Its possible if we only use the commercially made one piece tools to compare against each other.

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 04:55:48 PM
Is the Navy 2001 available in the US?I did a Google search and located a source in the UK but none in the US.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 04:57:38 PM
I found it on US Ebay. Ships out of Hong Kong.

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 05:05:54 PM
I found it on US Ebay. Ships out of Hong Kong.
Thanks Mr. Whippy but I have used every search parameter I could think of and couldn't find it on Ebay.If you  have a link it would be helpful.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 05:37:48 PM

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 07:30:54 PM
Here you go.  ;)
Thank you.You are a gentleman and a scholar.You generosity is exceeded only by your good looks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%