Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck Vangaurd question

Offline FRESHpalm

Buck Vangaurd question
on: December 31, 2007, 11:18:30 PM
Hi!

Ok I found a really awsome knife called the Buck Vangaurd.
If any of you have this knife please tell me what you think about it and if there are any other knives similar price range 50-70 bucks for an outdoor survival type knife.

Anyway which handle is more durable, Wood Grain http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/buck_vanguard_knife.html

Or rubberized http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/buck_vanguard_knife_w_rubber_handle.html

Thanks!
-Fresh

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Buck Vangaurd question
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:02:06 AM
The Mora 2000 isn't as pretty, but it's about $30 give or take and has a lot of fans.  I haven't used mine yet but it has a really solid feel. 

The only thing I don't like about that Buck is that the cutting edge doesn't go all the way to the handle...that little area of blade closest to the handle get's used a lot with me, so I'd have to have it :D
[

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 01:19:01 AM
The Mora 2000 isn't as pretty, but it's about $30 give or take and has a lot of fans.  I haven't used mine yet but it has a really solid feel. 

The only thing I don't like about that Buck is that the cutting edge doesn't go all the way to the handle...that little area of blade closest to the handle get's used a lot with me, so I'd have to have it :D
Just curious what do u use the little part clostest to the handle on most of the time?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 01:24:05 AM
Well I have a similar Buck knife tot that.. The handle is rubber and it is very strong.. I abuse that knife and it is just fine!
B

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 01:32:36 AM
Hi,

You can try the gerber gator drop point XDP, the mora 2000, the spyderco Moran Drop Point, the buck alpha Hunter 420 HC, the Ontario TAK 1095, etc.

Regards.
Carlos
(

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:38:08 AM

Just curious what do u use the little part clostest to the handle on most of the time?

I use it for whittling or stripping bark on sticks or small diameter pieces of wood...I'll hold the knife with my thumb on the back of the blade, you get a lot of control that way...it's like turning your thumb into a razor blade!

[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 01:43:10 AM
Carlos, I love the Gerber Gator's! Aren't they a fantastic knife? The grip is just unbelivable! If you are looking for a good belt knife I would reccomend this times ten! http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_516498&id=0034395517064a

The ultimate knife!
B

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:55:43 AM
Hi,

I got one of those! Just in Coyote tan handle color. Tehy are great knives and at a good price.

Carlos
(

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 02:07:51 AM
Yes, they are super tough!
B

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 02:21:05 AM
Have you seen the Gerber Prodigy? Is the same beast, just in a smaller pakage!

Carlos
(

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 02:22:14 AM
I have never seen it, maybe i'll give it a look!
B

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 02:29:03 AM
The Vanguard is a great knife.  I personally prefer the rubber handles.  If you're looking for other knives like it from Buck, I would suggest any of the Alpha Hunter or Omni Hunter knives.  The Omni Hunters are excellent outdoor knives that don't cost a lot (around $30 - $50)  

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 04:09:48 AM
A cool site for shopping for knives is http://www.osograndeknives.com/ . I've never bought from them but they have had good feedback at Bladeforums. I like how you can search/shop via knife design, purpose, etc... Good luck with whatever you get.
Splat

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 08:47:33 AM
Thanks guys!
Ya i did see an omni hunter from wal mart for like 30 bucks! But i think i really like the look of the vangaurd and it just seem so absolutely perfect for my needs.
The Gerber knife you suggested is nice except it has a combo edge. I would much prefer a plain edge to that.

Once again thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD