Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Give SOG some credit

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Give SOG some credit
on: November 05, 2006, 10:30:19 AM
You have to give SOG some credit for giving the cunsomer of their product the option of customizing their tools or at the very least tighting or loosening the tools in side the handle.  You can imagin that this might give the SOG warrenty department some headachs sometime.  I'm only thinking this because right now my LM Surge awl and small bit driver are really hard to pull out and then unlock.  I'm sure LM would adjust it for me no problem.  But that would mean having to go through the hole packaging, insuring, waiting to get back mess.  If this problem were on my PowerLock I could fix it myself in 3 secs.
"

Offline damota

Re: Give SOG some credit
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 11:31:41 AM
I just wish SOG would put the same emphasis as Leatherman into getting their tools into the shops IMO they are far superior, just not as available. I could work round the size of there handle tools. When you get a bunch of owners into a forum like this, Leathermans flaws are starting to show both in their design and their attitude to customers.  :(
Leatherman have changed the screws from their special 5 pin secure torx to the normal 6 pin secure torx that is available to the public. I got as set of security bits (including secure torx as well as others) for about £5  for 32 bits at my local market maybe not top quality but they do the job. I can understand the use of rivets to keep the cost down but I do not understand the thinking behind the use of those 5 pin torx on a tool, a X Box or Nintendo yes.
I will stick to the brand I have had no bother with, I like the rattle and the thinking behind 'all you need is 2 of their tools' and you can repair the lot. I, like <ausjulius> just wish they would outsauce and get a tool steel manafacturer drop forge their pliar heads with proper steel and proper wire cutters, I think the knife makers who make these tools would see it as loseing face to do that and make them out of anything other than the knife steel they use. :( Otherwise I wish some true tool manafacturer would start makeing them. Probebly wipe the floor if they did.

Dave

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 02:16:26 PM
I agree.  SOG makes a fine product, and has some really good ideas about what makes a tool effective.  Some I agree with, some I don;t think are too hot, but then there's no such thing as the perfect tool, and SOG does have a great following.

You don't acheive that by making crappy tools.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 11:02:17 PM
You have to give SOG some credit for giving the cunsomer of their product the option of customizing their tools........

I just copied and pasted this from another discussion I was reading. It is a list of available SOG components. I have had no problem ordering, receiving, and installing parts on my SOG, including a pair of scissors.

Double tooth saw: 7.95
3" straight blade: 6.50
3" serrated blade: 6.50
1/2 serrated blade: 6.50
File (3-sided) #6092: 6.50
Large screwdriver: 6.50
Phillips Screwdriver: 6.50
Robertson Drive: 6.50
1/4" Drive: 6.50
1/4" Socket adapter: 5.95
Awl: 6.50
Can Opener/sm S.D.: 6.50
Bottle Opener/Med S.D.:6.50
Pl. handle Covers: 2.00
V-cutter: 9.95
Pl Scissor accessory: 7.95
Serrated Line Cutter: 7.95
Wrench Kit*: 7.95
Accessory 3-pack: 19.95
CC/CG double-sided file: 5.00
Thumbstuds: 5.00
Clips: 5.00
TiNi Clips: 7.00
T-5 and T-6 torx: 5.00
Hexnut male and Female: 2.00
Plier: 12.95

*wrench kit isn't the ability to put a wrench on your powerlock instead it is two wrenches perfectly fit to remove and replace the bolts on your powerlock.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:47:31 PM
Robertson Drive: 6.50

Need to get me one of those... and also the bit driver adaptor...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 09:18:53 AM
Thanks for the list J-sews in going to call SOG tomorrow and order some parts.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 11:57:41 AM
Thanks for the list J-sews in going to call SOG tomorrow and order some parts.

Whatcha gonna get?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 12:12:27 PM
I agree... whatssss  going in your pocketsssesssss?

>:D

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 08:14:14 AM
I think I'll get a straight blade for the pocket powerpliers. And I thinking about trying the new V-cutter out.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 11:47:54 AM
Lemme know what you think of the Pocket Power Pliers.  I have one on order and i'm foaming at the mouth about it!

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 10:49:25 PM
The Pocket PowerPliers is a good multitool.  It has SOGs typical good quality. I would compaire them to a LM PST in size and tool selection. The plier are alittle different. They tapper to one side. They aren't the biggest pliers but then again it's a small tool. I took the file out of mine and put the wood saw in.
sogppp.jpg
* sogppp.jpg (Filesize: 31.4 KB)
sogppp1.jpg
* sogppp1.jpg (Filesize: 40.87 KB)
sogppp2.jpg
* sogppp2.jpg (Filesize: 37.73 KB)
sogppp3.jpg
* sogppp3.jpg (Filesize: 21.06 KB)
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 10:56:55 PM
Interesting shaped pliers...

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 12:42:56 AM
Hmm... I like the tapered pliers.  I find sometimes I really have a need for something like that.  I may have to add that SOG to the list...  hehe
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 02:05:49 AM
The PPP is my favorite SOG. I only wish it had locking blades. The PowerLock is newer, but it is also a lot bigger. Somehow the PPP fits my hands better.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 10:46:41 PM
It's good to hear that you like it better- I also have small hands and so I may like it as well...

I'll definately let everyone know what I think when it arrives... assuming I don't slip in a puddle of my own drool before then!

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 04:52:20 PM
I thought that one was discontinued?
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 02:54:23 AM
I still see it listed on SOG's website:  http://sogknives.com/store/S44.html

(Although I am sure you can find one for less than $70)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 08:35:50 AM
I got my blades that I ordered from SOG today.  I live in NC and it took 5 days.  All the blades were wrapped nicely and marked for me. When I called and ordered they polite and helpful.  Great Service from SOG. The straight blade is already on the PPP. It took less than 3 mins to do. Try that with your LM.
"

Offline colubrid

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 07:52:45 PM
I have the same experience with SOG customer care as everyone else. I am going to look into getting more SOGS now.

us Offline Splat

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 06:49:38 PM
Now, I've not owned a SOG (yet!) and this thread brings a question to mind. Do the tools you decide to use(in a SOG) have to go into certain place(s) on the tool (obviously taking into consideration the pliers' size and place when closed) or can you move them around? Thanks.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 11:54:40 PM
Longer tools like the files, scissors and blades have to be placed on one side of the handle or the other.  If you try putting them in the middle of a handle, the tool won't close because the plier head will impact it.

Other than that, I think it's open season.

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 05:35:24 PM
That's what I figured then. Thanks.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41