Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Shiny Brick (a special autotool)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
The Shiny Brick (a special autotool)
on: October 29, 2011, 05:24:05 PM

I don't have any background details on this one, other than it was obtained from sources unknown earlier this year by Dennis, Finder Of Rare Multitools. :multi:

After that it was sent to Mat in Australia, who then brought it back to America with him last month, only to have it snatched unceremoniously from his very hands by me when I met him in Portland a few weeks later. :o :D

Anywho, what we have here is a Victorinox AutoTool unlike any other I've seen before. Instead of the dull bead-blast finish that other AutoTools are given, this one has a mirror-finish just like a standard SwissTool or Spirit would have.

The polishing on the handles is everywhere, even under the blade lock release sliders, so it certainly not a "mod' that was done afterwards. It also has the VICTORINOX and AUTOTOOL logo laser etched in a different location than usual.

But other than that all the blades and plastic automobile gizmos are identical

It's curious that Victorinox would have polished up just this one tool. Perhaps it was a promotion of some sort, or a special request of some high muckity-muck in the company..? :think: We'll probably never know, but regardless, I'm pretty proud of The Shiny Brick. 8) Thanks again Mat and Dennis! :cheers: :cheers:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: The Shiny Brick (a special autotool)
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:29:27 PM
Bob were is the windscreen ice scraper tool on that shiny brick  :think: :P :D :D :D :D

Glad you like it mate  :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:45:55 PM
Bob were is the windscreen ice scraper tool on that shiny brick  :think: :P :D :D :D :D

Glad you like it mate  :tu:

Alas, the vaunted liner-locking ice scraper blade is missing entirely from the shiny brick. :(  Could it be that someone actually tried to use the ice scraper and broke it off? ???

But not to worry, negotiations are ongoing between myself and a key member of our organization who just happens to have a spare one. :tu: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:22 PM
Getting the spare scrapper may well be the easy bit Bob  :pok: :D :D.

I am keen to hear the rest of the immovable pin story/saga  :pok: :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:24:36 PM
well that one's a bit special isn't it? :drool:  I'd say, given Vic's propensity for polishing everything, why is it all the other Autotools aren't just as shiny?  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:42:10 PM
well that one's a bit special isn't it? :drool:  I'd say, given Vic's propensity for polishing everything, why is it all the other Autotools aren't just as shiny?  :D

Hopefully it was because Vic realized at some point that working on your car with a slippery, super-shiny brick of metal was going to lead to some lawsuits for damage down the road.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:54:46 PM
Nice!
I read somewhere that is was a cost issue or something... not sure ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 04:57:10 AM
If you sent it to Victorinox they would probably be able replace the ice scraper.  My very first SAK I bought in 1985 was an SAK called the Modeler.  It was banged up pretty bad and I wanted to replace the scales on it.  Instead they told me to send it to them.  I sent it to Victorinox in New Jersey.  They did a bad job refurbishing it so I found the email address for Victorinox in Switzerland and wrote them about it.  I got a call from US Victorinox and they emailed me a UPS shipping label so it could be sent to Switzerland.  About two months later I got it back and I couldn't believe the job they did refurbishing it!!  Not only did they replace tools that needed replacing but replaced them with the original tools.  All the tools were in new condition but they were the tools.  Like the old magnifying glass, old main blade, philips screw driver, etc.  It was like the day I bought it.  I would bet they could do the same for your AutoTool.  Good Luck.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD