Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for Wenger?

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Any love for Wenger?
on: October 29, 2011, 10:32:16 PM
I see loads of stuff about Vic but not so much on the Wenger line. Any reasons for this?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:14:26 AM by Huntsman »
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Any love for wenger?
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:43:05 PM
Harder to mod.  :(

Personally, I love the Wenger S557 AND the Ranger Mike Horn.  Really good SAKs.  My Mike Horn Ranger is a regular EDC, especially if I think I'm going to be driving a lot of screws/bolts.

The 85mm size is much more pocket friendly.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:45:20 PM
For me, vics were all I owned or even knew about growing up.  I recently bought a keychain size wenger and the quality on it is pretty bad.  I don't know if that is representative of their whole line, but it turned me right off from buying any more.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
For me it generally is the price.  Why buy a Wenger Traveler for $30something when you can get a Vic Climber for $25.  Especially when most people think Vic has better fit and finish.

Wenger does have some cool models though.  I must admit I have been looking at getting a Wenger Swiss Clipper recently.

Also:  That damned Wenger can opener.  Vic models win me over most of the time because of it.  Why settle for a single function can opener when the Vic gives you a can opener, small flathead, and small philips head driver.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:49:47 PM by Tyler_ »

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:06:51 PM
I really like my Wenger Evo S18.The locking blade is nice and the evo scales make it look and feel great.It is my main pocket carry SAK.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:13:11 PM
I collect both Victorinox and Wenger. My EDC for many years has been a Wenger Traveler. The 85mm length seems to fit my pocket better than the 91mm Victorinox, and the short Vics don't currently have scissors. Conversely I prefer the greater length of the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest to the Victorinox Mini Champ. On the other hand a Victorinox Huntsman is my usual choice when outdoors, and there's an old Champion sitting in the desk drawer as I write. Believe there's a Fieldmaster in the car glovebox, and a large 111mm Vic (don't remember which one) in the survival kit in the trunk. So both brands are in regular use.

Karl

us Offline APS

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:41:11 PM
When I was growing up Vics were far more common than Wengers and less expensive.  Now that I can afford either the reason I choose Vic is:
1.  the small screw driver on the can opener
2.  Vic reamer is actually useful
3.  majority of Wengers seem to come with a nailfile instead of the small blade.
4.  I prefer the slightly longer handle of the 91mm Vic
5.  You can get plus scales for the Vic

us Offline tattoosteve99

Any love for wenger?
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 12:04:57 AM
Well since some people like them I have a freebie for you wenger fans. I received some free stickers in the mail. I will share them to the first five to ask.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 12:14:25 AM
I like Wenger. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I prefer them - the scissors are my most used item on the SAKs I have and I like the Wenger backspring scissors better than the Vic leaf-spring scissors.  Also, just got some Wenger Fingernail Clippers and they're quite good (and fun to fiddle with).

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 12:36:57 AM
The ones who know me around these parts know I'm a real and dedicated wenger fan, my favourites being the commander, traveler and formost the forester/17 models. I actually collect the forester variations. What I like the most are the scissors and the can opener, and also the fact that some of them have a locking main blade.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:44:02 AM
The very first Wenger I ever got was a second hand Forester and it was terrible, everything just felt wrong and lived up to all the bad press I'd heard about Wenger. :(  Then I got a Commander from Neil and a new 120mm Ranger and I was converted, both excellently well built SAKs.  Followed up with a Evo 17 and a SI and I couldn't be happier. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:29 AM
I love the Evo type grips.I have a J10,EvoGrip 18 in yellow(oh so pretty..),a J554,EvoWood14(?),and a pair of Evo81s(Translucent blue and Patagonia Yellow).

Things I like1)Evo type grips,very good ergonomics!
                2)Scissors!
                3)Semi locking screwdriver
                4)Nail file on a decent sized SAK

Better than Vic?Maybe not,but they are very charismatic,and more inovative than Vic
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 01:12:19 AM
I much prefer Vic to Wenger for various reasons, BUT, I really like the Wenger Standard Issue.
SAW

au Offline Vemo

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 02:28:11 AM
I really like some of the Wenger stuff. Sure it's not quite as high quality compared to the Victorinox but they make some interesting sometimes odd tool/knife combinations. I agree the Wenger Standard Issue is a solid piece and probably their best knife. The SOSAK 2010 KOTY, a Wenger EvoWood 18, is my always EDC and the huge Mike Horn Ranger if I need something stronger.
My favourite Wenger is my Director (thanks Felinevet!) 
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Director
it has a manual telescoping pointer. I was an IT trainer back in the late 80's and the ultimate accessory was one of those pointers (I never had one). The fact that Wenger put one in a knife is just ultimate geek.
Ian

de Offline Jmora

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 02:52:51 AM
I tend to prefer Vic from what I have experienced. However, Wenger seem to be trying very hard to establish new markets, and to fix up their older problems, like weak backsprings. I have no trouble imagining what Vic knives will look like in two years - slightly improved versions of their classic models, but I'm pretty sure Wenger will surprise me in a good way with their new stuff.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Any love for wenger?
Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:20:15 AM
So no one wants free stickers? Just ask I'll send them to you. 

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 03:42:52 AM
So no one wants free stickers? Just ask I'll send them to you.

Steve,

Thanks for the offer, but I already have an inch-thick pile of Wenger stickers, flyers and brochures; not to mention a dozen catalogs. By the way I checked with the Wenger store in Boulder recently and they still don't have 2011 catalogs.

Karl

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 09:09:20 AM
When it comes to the feel of Wenger backsprings I think we can be a little unfair.  Most of the time folks are comparing Vic's 91mm springs to Wenger's 85mm ones.  Now if we compare them to Vic's 84mm line the difference becomes far less obvious, if there at all. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 10:03:31 AM
Wengers are a lot less common, at least from my experience.
Most people, unaware of the Swiss Army knife history, assume that they are just trying to copy Victorinox, so they are of a lesser quality; so they do not buy them and prefer Victorinox.

I like the Wenger scissors feel and the locking flat screwdriver.
I also like their cigar cutter for its look, though it is not that good to use.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Any love for wenger?
Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 10:05:43 AM
I prefer Victorinox because they have better built quailty, but I own some Wengers I really love. I would say Wenger makes the more innovative SAK, Vic more traditional. I like them both. An Evowood might be my next EDC.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:08:44 AM by Woz »
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

england Offline macabee

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:39 AM
I have to agree with Woz, although I have a couple of Wenger SAK's in my collection, I do carry the evo-grip 18 in my rucksack when I go hiking. But generally I prefer Vic's.

"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 10:59:28 AM
I prefer Wenger myself due to their very interesting design decisions when it comes to their tool selection.

Any company that would include a folding pointer into a folding knife is tops in my books.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 12:08:01 PM
The thing that stops me from buying a Wenger are the serrated scissors (too difficult to sharpen)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:09:59 PM by shamus »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Re: Any love for wenger?
Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:52 PM
The thing that stops me from buying a Wenger are the serrated scissors (too difficult to sharpen)

Well than you can buy as many as you can cause these are self sharpening scissors and will never go dull. I edc'd one for 12 years, have even cut tin cans and wire with them. And they're still sharp.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 01:11:39 PM
When it comes to the feel of Wenger backsprings I think we can be a little unfair.  Most of the time folks are comparing Vic's 91mm springs to Wenger's 85mm ones.  Now if we compare them to Vic's 84mm line the difference becomes far less obvious, if there at all. :)
true, I never thought of that. At the same time, they are (or were?) more vulnerable to becoming weak (someone suggested that it is through a crack at the middle rivet, which is drilled too close to the edge of the spring or something). I have a 72 SI that has a strong knife layer, but very weak opener layer.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 01:45:47 PM
Well than you can buy as many as you can cause these are self sharpening scissors and will never go dull.

But how, exactly, do they self-sharpen?

us Offline tattoosteve99

Any love for wenger?
Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 05:18:55 PM
2 sets of stickers claimed. 3 more available.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Re: Any love for wenger?
Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 05:41:29 PM
Well than you can buy as many as you can cause these are self sharpening scissors and will never go dull.

But how, exactly, do they self-sharpen?

I'm not sure, I believe it has something to do with the serrations, it's like they hone themselves every time you cut something. How ever they do it, they never get dull.

I forgot to mention the pressure locking screwdriver, anyone who had a vic or leatherman screwdriver close on their fingers should apreciate that.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 07:05:27 PM
I'm a fan of Wenger. I don't have a huge selection of their stuff, but I do have some I really like. Swissgrip - what a beast, and such an excellent tool too  :tu: Motorist - all those tools in an 85mm chassis, and locking drivers too  8) Brushed stainless pocket tool chest - excellent 65mm tool. All three of these get plenty of use

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 12:35:47 AM
i love wenger rangers  :ahhh
custom swiss army knives

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00