Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to tell if scales are solid or hollow?

us Offline hsherzfeld

How to tell if scales are solid or hollow?
on: February 02, 2024, 03:12:00 PM
I just acquired a used Climber that has the crossbow mark on the ricasso, no pin slot, and scissors with a pivot screw. I normally install plus scales on my SAKs, but the features listed above (especially the lack of pin slot) make me wonder if the scales might be solid. If this is the case, I certainly don’t want to damage them by removing them. Is there a way to tell if they’re solid without removing them?
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Re: How to tell if scales are solid or hollow?
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 04:24:18 PM
If I’m not mistaken, the changeover from scissors pivot screw to rivet occurred in 1991, while the changeover from solid to hollow scales occurred in 2001.  So, assuming the scales are original to the knife, solid scales would be expected.

Some folks have also claimed that they can tell the difference between solid and hollow scales by the sound they make when tapping on them.  Personally, I’m not convinced this is a 100% accurate method, and may be dependent on how finely tuned your ears are.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 06:24:35 PM
Thanks for the dating info. It occurred to me that I might be able to tell the difference by weight. Presumably a newer Climber with hollow scales will be lighter.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 06:39:45 PM
    The blades are ground from bigger stock in the old knives, so newer Climbers are always lighter.  Same with the rest of the models.  I personally can't tell if scales are hollow or solid until I pull them.  Others say they can tell.  I have no reason to doubt them.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 09:52:54 PM
I tend to agree with Gary about the weight.

The weight difference between a solid Cellidor scale and a hollow Cellidor scale is probably quite small relative to the total weight of a Climber, and you would also have to figure out how to account for other changes and differences, such as thicker tangs on the older knives.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 12:10:56 AM
I guess I'll just leave the scales alone.

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 01:28:52 AM
If the scales are sturdy and a color you like, why change them?  Enjoy the old Climber.  Does it have the fluted corkscrew?  I have a newer Climber with one solid scale and one hollow.  They were both loose, but not cracked.  I epoxied them and clamped them to set.  One of my favorite knives.  Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:
climb2.jpg
* climb2.jpg (Filesize: 317.97 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 03:50:33 PM
   Just how much difference in weight is there between hollow and solid scales?  Let's go to the Ohaus balance and see.  With the front side scales, there is .5 grams difference with the solid being heavier of course.  The hollow scale that I used weighed 4.7 grams total.  Now there is some difference in hollow scales.  All of them don't have the same amount of bracing on the back side.  Might be a difference in thickness as well.  I only weighed cellidor, of course.  Just for the record.  Best wishes.  G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%