Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for Wenger?

be Offline dodge_911

Re: Any love for wenger?
Reply #90 on: March 14, 2012, 01:43:34 AM
It's the Matterhorn plus.

Here's more info.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Matterhorn+Plus
Thanks dude!
Along with a SwissChamp coing from Reinier, I got my two first SAK's back, albeit that the SwissChamp is a replecement. My first one got confisquated in boarding school :)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: March 19, 2012, 04:07:35 AM
New for 2012, the Wenger RangerGrip 90.

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #92 on: March 19, 2012, 05:40:04 AM

(Image removed from quote.)
I do like these Wenger's with the fold out pliers, although, as yet, not had a play with one. This 90 ticks a lots of boxes for me :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #93 on: March 19, 2012, 09:22:05 PM
I like this one, is this the special order Russian one from that thread a year or so ago? What was the price on it?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:47 PM
<image -see above>
I like this one, is this the special order Russian one from that thread a year or so ago? What was the price on it?

Nope, this is the new 2012 model we've been talking about in the other thread on the NewRanger 90.  Price was around 125, but I'm hoping felinevet will be able to do much better when he gets them in.  I was too, lazy to wait to find out.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: March 19, 2012, 11:47:49 PM
<image -see above>

Nope, this is the new 2012 model we've been talking about in the other thread on the NewRanger 90.  Price was around 125, but I'm hoping felinevet will be able to do much better when he gets them in.  I was too, lazy to wait to find out.

Ah, yes, I found the original thread, the Russian one had a longer file and no pliers.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,23026.0.html

Are there any other models that include this long metal file?

Edit: to answer my own question :D
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+RangerGrip+88+Rescue
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:52:56 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #96 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:37 PM
These 2 wengers are the best knives for me, i know the Wenger RangerGrip 90 can be buy directly from Wenger web page or ebay and probably in other stores, but there is a way or site I could buy the Russian version (the one with long file), or is no available for US?
Thanks.

Ah, yes, I found the original thread, the Russian one had a longer file and no pliers.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,23026.0.html

Are there any other models that include this long metal file?

Edit: to answer my own question :D
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+RangerGrip+88+Rescue

us Offline Grateful

Reply #97 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:27 PM
 That Ranger Grip 90 is Bad @$$ . That would make a sweet stand alone edc folder .
Jim

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: March 24, 2012, 01:50:06 AM
As far as I know Ranger-East was very limited, it would be hard to obtain.  The RangerGrip-88 though is a little more available, but not easy from North America.

I'd love to get my hands on the Ranger-East and RangerGrip 88.  If anyone can help me out please send me a PM.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #99 on: May 03, 2012, 01:40:34 PM
Current lack of funds aside  :( I'm starting to think that there's nothing in Wengers current offerings that grabs me. I still like the older 85's ... really like them ... but after a lot of thought I've come to the conclusion that their recent trends are just really not for me:

• Evo scales for me are horrible. They just don't feel ergonomic to me (and I know I'm not alone thinking that), and the raised branding is an annoyance too - which I didn't think it would be.

• The recent trend towards locking blades on 85's is a real turnoff for me. I can understand offering them as an "option", but now you can't get anything with an inline phillips with a non-locking blade. I think most people know my thoughts on locking blades by now  :P

• The 120mm range does nothing for me, with the exception of the NewRanger 90 which looks amazing ... and I DO want one of those ... but it's just so flaming expensive!!  :-\

I know I've said this elsewhere before but I REALLY like the Wenger brand, and I'm going to keep carrying and using the Wengers I have for many many years ... but I can't see me buying ANY of their newer items, save maybe the NewRanger 90 if I have another drunken midnight spending spree
:facepalm:

Sorry Wenger, it was nice while it lasted - but unless things change I think we're done  :-[

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #100 on: May 03, 2012, 02:04:41 PM
I share your thoughts on the evo scales. They looked interesting on the pictures but when I first got one, it took me one second to realise they were not for me. I don't have a problem with the locking blades but the offering of the in line phillips on more current models would be great. Did you see the new-ish wenger classic 132, it has an in line 2D phillips instaid of the nail file, classic scales and a non locking blade. I would like it better if the saw would be replaced by scissors, to make a traveler with an in line phillips, but that's an easy mod.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #101 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:36 PM
@ 50 ft trad: Are you objecting in theory or in practice?

Why don't you like the locking blade on their 85mm models? I think it's pretty brilliant. The lock release does protrude a bit, so it is not as smooth in the pocket as an 84 mm Victorinox. The lock release looks like it'd be in the way of a good grip, or like it would be tripped by accident. But that is not the case in practice.

I quite like the Evo and EvoGrip scales. They do make the knife thicker, but they feel good to me. I also like that they curve to fit into the palm of the hand.

They're made out of a softer plastic than Victorinox's Cellidor, so I think they're less likely to chip and crack. I haven't dropped one yet, so I don't know for sure. I did notice yesterday that it is possible to dent them with a hard push of a thumbnail, but again, this is a problem only for people who analyze things too much.

There are lots of 85 mm models without locking blades. Take a good look on wenger's website. The trend is toward locking blades, but there are still lots of models available without them. One of my favorites is the EvoGrip S16. But they also make an EvoGrip 16 (no 'S' = no lock) and an Evo 16. (no 'grip' = no rubber inserts.) I bet they make something equivalent in the traditional series too.

Their scissors are brilliant; much heavier duty than Victorinox's. The little slip-joint pliers too, which utilize the backspring instead of having the relatively fragile leaf spring of Victorinox.

I was considering an RangerGrip 90, but I too was turned off by the $130 price tag. I also realize that I would rarely need a pliers and a saw in the same knife, especially such a huge one. So I bought a 78 and a 73 for the same or less money.

I like that Wenger's tools and designs are generally more innovative. (Victorinox's driver layer in the CyberTools being the lone exception) For instance, automatic locking screwdrivers, the small wrench, serrated scissors for cutting heavier things.

I guess in the end, they have their pros and cons, and you just don't care for their pros, so you're more of a Victorinox guy.

Most of my collection is Victorinox too, but I acquired most of them before I gave Wenger an open-minded chance.

Now I have 4 Wengers and probably more on the horizon. Maybe a Pocket Toolchest?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #102 on: May 03, 2012, 02:50:12 PM
I've only got the one Wenger (minigrip) and I'm really impressed with some of the differences with Victorinox.

The locking screwdriver is just pure brilliance and I'm really shocked Vic haven't utilized it already.

They approach things more inventively and are willing to take risks. Maybe a good or a bad thing depending on the result?

The knife blade is thinner, but what real difference does that make if you're using the blade as a blade?

I like the woodsaw on the minigrip - not sure if this is a Wenger wide thing but the etched ruler scale is a lovely touch that I wish Vic would incorporate.

The awl is a let down, being an important tool, and I don't like the toothpick that much.

The locking blade is only an issue in places like the UK where it immediately renders an knife illegal. I wouldn't hesitate to only carry knives which lock otherwise.

All in all though, my (albeit very little) experience with Wenger makes me want to seek out more of them to try out.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:01 PM
I share your thoughts on the evo scales. They looked interesting on the pictures but when I first got one, it took me one second to realise they were not for me. I don't have a problem with the locking blades but the offering of the in line phillips on more current models would be great. Did you see the new-ish wenger classic 132, it has an in line 2D phillips instaid of the nail file, classic scales and a non locking blade. I would like it better if the saw would be replaced by scissors, to make a traveler with an in line phillips, but that's an easy mod.

The old Travellers are probably my favourite Wengers, and an inline Phillips would be great ... not too fussed about 2D though. I'll probably continue to grab the occasional "old" Wenger or two from Tim and other members here when funds permit, and maybe one day I will eventually get round to doing a SAK modification of my own.

@ 50 ft trad: Are you objecting in theory or in practice?

Why don't you like the locking blade on their 85mm models? I think it's pretty brilliant. The lock release does protrude a bit, so it is not as smooth in the pocket as an 84 mm Victorinox. The lock release looks like it'd be in the way of a good grip, or like it would be tripped by accident. But that is not the case in practice.

I quite like the Evo and EvoGrip scales. They do make the knife thicker, but they feel good to me. I also like that they curve to fit into the palm of the hand.

They're made out of a softer plastic than Victorinox's Cellidor, so I think they're less likely to chip and crack. I haven't dropped one yet, so I don't know for sure. I did notice yesterday that it is possible to dent them with a hard push of a thumbnail, but again, this is a problem only for people who analyze things too much.

There are lots of 85 mm models without locking blades. Take a good look on wenger's website. The trend is toward locking blades, but there are still lots of models available without them. One of my favorites is the EvoGrip S16. But they also make an EvoGrip 16 (no 'S' = no lock) and an Evo 16. (no 'grip' = no rubber inserts.) I bet they make something equivalent in the traditional series too.

Their scissors are brilliant; much heavier duty than Victorinox's. The little slip-joint pliers too, which utilize the backspring instead of having the relatively fragile leaf spring of Victorinox.

I was considering an RangerGrip 90, but I too was turned off by the $130 price tag. I also realize that I would rarely need a pliers and a saw in the same knife, especially such a huge one. So I bought a 78 and a 73 for the same or less money.

I like that Wenger's tools and designs are generally more innovative. (Victorinox's driver layer in the CyberTools being the lone exception) For instance, automatic locking screwdrivers, the small wrench, serrated scissors for cutting heavier things.

I guess in the end, they have their pros and cons, and you just don't care for their pros, so you're more of a Victorinox guy.

Most of my collection is Victorinox too, but I acquired most of them before I gave Wenger an open-minded chance.

Now I have 4 Wengers and probably more on the horizon. Maybe a Pocket Toolchest?

I'll try to keep this brief (wish me luck)  :rofl:

I dislike locking blades in general, and think they're LESS safe than slippies. If a slippie isn't up to a particular job then I want a fixed blade. Locks just annoy me, slow me up, and cause more nicks and cuts than they avoid. I've had far more injuries from using lockers than slippies.

I enquired a while back with the UK importer about Classic scaled Wengers with non-locking blades an inline phillips drivers, and was told that would only happen as a special run with a minimum quantity of whatever it was.

The Evo scales for me are just plain uncomfortable. I bought an Evo equivalent to the Traveller (I forget the number offhand), and I gave it away as I found it an awful knife/tool to use.

I love their Classic tools, the locking drivers, the scissors, the pliers, the can opener, the 85mm frame ... that said the Pocket Tool Chest is also one of my favourites. Mine (brushed stainless scales) is currently missing and I hope it turns up soon  :(  For me Wenger was great, and the answer to everything that was missing from the Vic 84mm line, till they added locks and Evo scales  :-\

The innovation is still there, the quality is still there, they're just .... moving away from what I personally want from them, and I'd just like to see their scales and knife blades go back to the way they were ... or at least be able to freely get hold of Classic versions of everything. Hopefully they'll start offering more classic non-locking comprehensive 85's (especially with inline 3D phillips) in the future ... but I think I might be clutching at straws there.

Many people seem to feel unsafe with a non-locking blade these days, and oddbod traditionalists like me are the minority. I just hope Victorinox doesn't go the same route.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #104 on: May 03, 2012, 03:36:59 PM
The old Travellers are probably my favourite Wengers, and an inline Phillips would be great ... not too fussed about 2D though. I'll probably continue to grab the occasional "old" Wenger or two from Tim and other members here when funds permit, and maybe one day I will eventually get round to doing a SAK modification of my own.

:pok:   :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: May 03, 2012, 03:43:56 PM
I know, I know  :twak:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:D

(I'd have to keep the opener layer though - far too useful for me to leave out)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: May 05, 2012, 12:23:04 AM
Here is an image of 3 Wenger Esquire models in Stainless steel.  The polished one is polished so well it's like a mirror and one might take it quite easily for polished Sterling.  I think for the most part these are still available.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: May 05, 2012, 04:35:04 AM
Very nice, nothing better than SS scales on any SAK, congrats!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:31 PM
Wenger S18 Juinor Special Edition for the movie "Dolphin Tale", which in Germany is titled (translated) "My Friend the Dolphin".

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: May 06, 2012, 01:59:19 AM
Posted this to another thread, but should put it here as well for the future.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: May 06, 2012, 03:22:55 AM
Wenger S18 Juinor Special Edition for the movie "Dolphin Tale", which in Germany is titled (translated) "My Friend the Dolphin".

I love the blue colour on that one, but shouldn't that be S17?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: May 06, 2012, 04:02:40 AM

I love the blue colour on that one, but shouldn't that be S17?

Ooops... your right... S17
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:20:41 AM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #112 on: May 06, 2012, 05:23:18 AM
I love my wengers

I got a zermatt in my pocket today.

I like all the odd tool combos they make.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline cannonball

Reply #113 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:30 PM
I have 17 SI's. I guess that is love.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: May 06, 2012, 08:09:47 PM
Amici,

You gotta love Wenger!

Cheers,
Serge
Wenger 1.jpg
* Wenger 1.jpg (Filesize: 19.52 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: May 06, 2012, 09:34:48 PM
I have 17 SI's. I guess that is love.

True love starts only from the 18th   ;)  So hurry up to get it....  :D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #116 on: May 07, 2012, 03:14:47 AM
Truth be told, I feel a little guilty that I was such a stubborn Victorinox fanboy for all those years before finally really opening my mind to Wenger. If there were fewer people like me, and more open-minded folks, maybe they could have stayed independent.  :(
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #117 on: May 07, 2012, 04:43:27 AM
Truth be told, I feel a little guilty that I was such a stubborn Victorinox fanboy for all those years before finally really opening my mind to Wenger. If there were fewer people like me, and more open-minded folks, maybe they could have stayed independent.  :(

I was the same way for quite a while, and not only with SAKs.  I had the opinion that Wenger and Gerber were both cheap knockoff companies, not worthy of any thought.  Boy has that changed - my standard loadout for a while now has been my MP450 and Evo 16.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: May 07, 2012, 11:55:58 AM
While I collect both Wenger and Victorinox knives, to be honest I prefer Wenger's.
I think that sometimes the tools included by Wenger (i.e. metal magnifying glass,  wrench, scissors) are worth alone the price of the full SAK....
... and not considering some funny ones, too
IMG_2071.JPG
* IMG_2071.JPG (Filesize: 267.46 KB)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:59:12 AM by basilio »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #119 on: May 07, 2012, 07:10:18 PM

I was the same way for quite a while, and not only with SAKs.  I had the opinion that Wenger and Gerber were both cheap knockoff companies, not worthy of any thought.  Boy has that changed - my standard loadout for a while now has been my MP450 and Evo 16.......
Same story here.  In my defence the first Wenger I got as an adult was second hand and was rotten; it fulfilled all the negative stereotypes people talk about.  Put me right off them for ages. :-\  Then I got a Commander from Neil and absolutely loved it and happily got a few more.

My story with Gerber is similar in that I picked up a Suspension in a store, thought it was rubbish and wrote off the whole Gerber line. ::)  Happily I decided to give them a second chance and asked for a MP600 a couple of Christmases ago.  Happily sliding pliers ever since. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%