Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Scissors? Opinions Needed

00 Offline 1jump2many

SOG Scissors? Opinions Needed
on: October 30, 2011, 07:23:12 PM
I was thinking of swapping out some components on one of my SOG MT's.  One component I was thinking about is the scissors.  None of my SOG's have scissors.  I was curious what others thought before I ordered them.  Thanks.
[

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: SOG Scissors? Opinions Needed
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:04:48 PM
The SOG scissors are upside down. They're outboard designed implements mounted into an inboard tool arrangement and they suffer because of it. If you look at many of the Gerber offerings, the SOG's are quite similar but instead of the moving arm being up above the tool so you can press down with your thumb, it is down towards the centreline which makes them awkward in use. I did put some scissors in my Paladin PT-510 which work rather well ... they're from a LM PST II

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:35 PM
I did put some scissors in my Paladin PT-510 which work rather well ... they're from a LM PST II
I knew I'd seen the PST scissors in a SOG somewhere here, that was yours then, good idea to :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:49:25 PM
SOG scissors just don't have any sort of foldover for the thumb so they are as comfortable as Leatherman scissors and they don't cut as well as Victorinox scissors.

Also I've noticed SOG scissors tend to have trouble locking in the open position, both the newer piano locks and older locks.  Not all of them have trouble but I've seen the trouble often enough on SOG's I've owned to believe it may be a pattern.

They are certainly better than the v-hook for cutting paper or cutting fingernails which is what i use them for mostly.
:)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:11:00 PM
I did put some scissors in my Paladin PT-510 which work rather well ... they're from a LM PST II
I knew I'd seen the PST scissors in a SOG somewhere here, that was yours then, good idea to :tu:

... and a diamond file too  :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:30:58 AM
They are no good

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:41:36 AM

... and a diamond file too  :D :D

(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks for this, will be on the list of things to try at some point :tu: On a side note, shame SOG doesn't put those gear covers on their standard PPP, still I'm liking these SOG's.

JC PT&A

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:12:41 PM
My personal experiance is that theyre no worse than those on a Wave,but not as good as Vic snips.As long as it just on light tasks they're fine.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 05:24:52 PM
Thanks for the advice.  Looking at them sort of gave me the same impression but looks can be deceiving.  That is why I decided to get some opinions from those with experience.  I have also noticed since that they are what SOG classifies as a Large Component and are only compatible with the PowerLock.  I didn't notice that at first and I was thinking of adding them to a PPP.  I'm sure some modding could be done to make them work but I wasn't interested in doing that.  Thanks again.   :cheers: :tu:
[

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 06:32:51 PM
They're too big to fit a Paratool but they are spot on for PPPs
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 06:34:45 PM
Thanks for the advice.  Looking at them sort of gave me the same impression but looks can be deceiving.  That is why I decided to get some opinions from those with experience.  I have also noticed since that they are what SOG classifies as a Large Component and are only compatible with the PowerLock.  I didn't notice that at first and I was thinking of adding them to a PPP.  I'm sure some modding could be done to make them work but I wasn't interested in doing that.  Thanks again.   :cheers: :tu:
See pic attached, another wizards works :tu: not to bad a job to do, I think the scissors need a little trimming to fit the Paratool but fit the PPP. I'm sure the creator of this mod will be along soon and explain better :salute:
SOG scissors in paratool and PPP.jpg
* SOG scissors in paratool and PPP.jpg (Filesize: 43.96 KB)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:41:30 PM by badwolf »

JC PT&A

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 09:10:21 PM
See pic attached, another wizards works :tu: not to bad a job to do, I think the scissors need a little trimming to fit the Paratool but fit the PPP. I'm sure the creator of this mod will be along soon and explain better :salute:

Nice one Jeff :salute:

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 02:17:19 PM

Thanks for the picture.  I've added a hook to my Paratool a couple years ago.  They no longer sell the hook, it's not the V-Cutter.  I should post a picture but I deleted my picture hosting account and don't feel like opening another. :ahhh   :)

I wonder why SOG only mentions it fits the PowerLock?  I really like scissors on MT's but I'm not sure about these yet.  Thanks again.
[

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:28 PM

Thanks for the picture.  I've added a hook to my Paratool a couple years ago.  They no longer sell the hook, it's not the V-Cutter.  I should post a picture but I deleted my picture hosting account and don't feel like opening another. :ahhh   :)

I wonder why SOG only mentions it fits the PowerLock?  I really like scissors on MT's but I'm not sure about these yet.  Thanks again.

You can still get the hook from one website; unless you're referring to the Paladin hook tool, in which case all you have to do is contact Palidin and request some replacement parts for your PTxxx. ;)

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 12:04:46 AM
You can still get the hook from one website; unless you're referring to the Paladin hook tool, in which case all you have to do is contact Palidin and request some replacement parts for your PTxxx. ;)

It's not the Palidin wire feeding hook.  Do you have a link for the hook you are referring to?  I'm curious to see if it is the same one.  I Googled it and didn't come up with anything.  The one I have is sort of a belt cutter or gut type hook.
[

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 12:19:26 AM

It's not the Palidin wire feeding hook.  Do you have a link for the hook you are referring to?  I'm curious to see if it is the same one.  I Googled it and didn't come up with anything.  The one I have is sort of a belt cutter or gut type hook.

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SOG31SLC/sog-paratool-serrated-line-cutter-

Also, wrenches, if you need them:  http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SOG31WK/sog-wrench-accessory-for-paratool-

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:35:41 AM
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:49:36 AM by badwolf »

JC PT&A

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 04:36:25 AM

Also, wrenches, if you need them:  http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SOG31WK/sog-wrench-accessory-for-paratool-

Thanks Sazabi, the serrated line cutter is the "hook" I have on my Paratool.  I should get one to put on my PPP instead of the scissors.  Thanks again.   :tu:
[

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 01:58:50 PM

Thanks Sazabi, the serrated line cutter is the "hook" I have on my Paratool.  I should get one to put on my PPP instead of the scissors.  Thanks again.   :tu:

:tu:

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 03:10:56 PM
Can someone give me the dimensions of those scissors? And diameter of the hole. I consider to put them into Leatherman Rebar.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:18:18 PM by IvanDrago »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 04:00:35 PM
Can someone give me the dimensions of those scissors? And diameter of the hole. I consider to put them into Leatherman Rebar.

Seems like sLaughtermed would know this :think: If you have over 5 posts you can PM him :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 04:42:36 PM

Seems like sLaughtermed would know this :think: If you have over 5 posts you can PM him :tu:
Or he could just wait 20 minutes for me to show up of my own accord :P

Im not sure of the exact length of either the SOG or PST scissors, but both have a 3/16" hole, which is the same size as the Rebars pivots. However, you will run into some compatibility issues with either on the Rebar.

Lets assume the SOG scissors are not too long to fit in the Rebars frame. Because of the length, they could only fit in a long tool slot. If you look at the Rebar's long tools, near these tools pivots, you will see a V shaped notch cut out of them. This notch leaves space for the Rebar's Locking mechanism, which would prevent these tools from closing if the v shaped notch was not present. To fit the SOG scissors, you would probably need to cut off part of the handle, and potentially have to remove the spring. The lock face would also need to be widened slightly. IMO, considering the work involved, and the low quality of the SOG scissors, this mod isn't worth it.

PST scissors are a little easier. They should fit in a Rebars inside tool slot length wise, which is good, because they wont work in a long tool slot (cutting the v shaped notch mentioned above would compromise the scissors). They would have to go in the left most inside tool slot (due to thumb pad) on either handle of the Rebar. Some reshaping of the lock face is needed for this tool to lock, but they were designed not to lock originally, and may not need any work at all. Im not totally sure that cutting a lock notch would work anyhow, since the lock face of PST parts has less material on them to work with.

The best method of putting scissors in a Rebar is New Wave scissors, since it is a proven drop in mod. These have to go in the right most inside tool slot (due to thumb pad), but with some clever Legoing you might be able to fit them in without losing any other tools (you might be able to manage that with PST scissors too, now that I think of it).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:44:33 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 05:24:44 PM

Im not sure of the exact length of either the SOG or PST scissors, but both have a 3/16" hole, which is the same size as the Rebars pivots. However, you will run into some compatibility issues with either on the Rebar.

Lets assume the SOG scissors are not too long to fit in the Rebars frame. Because of the length, they could only fit in a long tool slot. If you look at the Rebar's long tools, near these tools pivots, you will see a V shaped notch cut out of them. This notch leaves space for the Rebar's Locking mechanism, which would prevent these tools from closing if the v shaped notch was not present. To fit the SOG scissors, you would probably need to cut off part of the handle, and potentially have to remove the spring. The lock face would also need to be widened slightly. IMO, considering the work involved, and the low quality of the SOG scissors, this mod isn't worth it.

PST scissors are a little easier. They should fit in a Rebars inside tool slot length wise, which is good, because they wont work in a long tool slot (cutting the v shaped notch mentioned above would compromise the scissors). They would have to go in the left most inside tool slot (due to thumb pad) on either handle of the Rebar. Some reshaping of the lock face is needed for this tool to lock, but they were designed not to lock originally, and may not need any work at all. Im not totally sure that cutting a lock notch would work anyhow, since the lock face of PST parts has less material on them to work with.

The best method of putting scissors in a Rebar is New Wave scissors, since it is a proven drop in mod. These have to go in the right most inside tool slot (due to thumb pad), but with some clever Legoing you might be able to fit them in without losing any other tools (you might be able to manage that with PST scissors too, now that I think of it).

Nope it was a good 40 minutes :pok: :D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 07:36:22 PM

It took me 20 minutes to write that on my phone :twak:

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 07:39:49 PM

It took me 20 minutes to write that on my phone :twak:

You need a bluetooth keyboard then :whistle:

:rofl:

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 12:20:49 PM
Thx for fast reply. So the bottom line is SSS? (SOG Scissors Sucks  ;) ) I will look for sth from Leatherman or Vic stable then
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:29:48 PM by IvanDrago »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 01:40:33 PM
Thx for fast reply. So the bottom line is SSS? (SOG Scissors Sucks  ;) ) I will look for sth from Leatherman or Vic stable then
Dont forget that Gerber, bing owned by Fiskars, makes a great pair of multi tool scissors

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 03:04:21 PM
Dont forget that Gerber, bing owned by Fiskars, makes a great pair of multi tool scissors

not sure if always so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i53ENjtUZ0

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 05:51:11 PM

not sure if always so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i53ENjtUZ0
Actually, those scissors are great (when they are built correctly). I'd attribute that to Gerbers poor QC for many of it's Chinese made tools than bad scissor deisgn. The MP600 & MP400 have the same scissor design as that Bear Grylls tool, and are fantastic scissors. Even the Diesel (which is made in China) has good scissors, although not as good as it's American counterparts.

If you want to get a Gerber, stay away from the Suspension family, and anything marked Bear Grylls (except the Strata clone, that one is pretty good). Sadly, these are Gerber's best sellers, and give the rest of the self respecting tools a bad name

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:57 PM
A good alternative to the SOG scissors is their V-cutter. I know it's not scissors, but it can do a lot of the same stuff. It takes up less room in your tool, as well.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%