Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camera Question

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Camera Question
on: October 17, 2011, 07:44:25 PM
Wondering if some of you here could help me out with camera choice & selection. Its for my wife, looking to capture the years to come of our baby girl (and Lord willing, more kids) with a nicer SLR camera. I know editing is a huge portion of getting great images, but what we have right now is just a Canon Powershot. Its been a great point n shoot so far, travels easy, etc. but she wants something more.

-Canon? Nikon? I have no idea.
-Are the $600 units worth the price, or should I be looking toward the $1000+ range?
-We are not professionals, just looking for a camera (and probably editing software) to aid our photography.

Any suggestions from those of you more involved than we are? I don't want Mr. Best Buy to have all the influence on this. Thanks!

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Re: Camera Question
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:46:52 PM
Hey check this post, any good?... http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,32052.0.html
Someone with more knowledge on cameras will probably be along in a mo :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:55 PM
I'm sure thats a great piece, thank you, but this is something I am going to have to save for, I got no$$ right now to spend on that haha.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:04:09 PM
For me the best entry level DSLR is Nikon D3100. If you can spend a little bit more get the latest DSLR from Nikon, the D5100. This model was released very recently:

Here's the side by side comparison of the  two:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=nikon_d3100&products=nikon_d5100

Review of the two cameras I suggested:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/

Good luck!

ca Offline gunga

Camera Question
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:06 PM
I just took a nikon d5100 to Italy for 3 weeks. It was a great, very capable camera.

That said, Nikon or Canon will serve you well. Just remember it's not so easy to switch systems once you have invested in lenses, flashes etc.

You can't go wrong with either.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:18:04 PM
I like Canon over Nikon. With that said, you can't go wrong with either. Go for the cheapest body, and spend a little more on the lenses. You won't regret that path. I will also put in a plug for Pentax (speaking from experience).

Also, there is more to research right now than just DSLRs. There is a new category of cameras that are called EVIL (Electronic viewfinder Interchangeable Lens). These forgo the cumbersome pentaprisam/pentamirror/optical viewfinders, and reflex mirrors for a more compact body with an EVF (electronic viewfinder). DSLRs and EVIL cameras both have advantages and disadvantages...so read up. I bought a Samsung NX10 on sale at the local Future Shop out of curiosity, and I must say, it rocks. It has the same sensor size as other DSLRs, but is quite a bit more compact. Limited lens selection, but the two lenses I have are optically excellent. So you should probably do some looking at this type of camera as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:21:29 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 12:11:39 AM
Thanks Chako! I'll definitely do some homework.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:29 PM
..and dont worry too much about Megapixel numbers.

Any recent canon/nikon DSLR with the standard zoom lens will kick the behind off even the fanciest point and shoot, especially at low light situations due to the larger sensor.
I would keep the standard lens and invest on a good flash.
try dpreview.com for comparisons between cameras.
Bear in mind that, like multitool fanatics, camera fanatics and review sites will concentrate on some minute details and differences between cameras that in reality the average user will not notice or care about.

If possible try the camera first; they could be too small or too big for you to use easily.
I use a Canon DSLR, which is, as every inteligent person knows, the best. :P  :D

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 10:00:45 PM

Any recent canon/nikon DSLR with the standard zoom lens will kick the behind off even the fanciest point and shoot, especially at low light situations due to the larger sensor.
Bear in mind that, like multitool fanatics, camera fanatics and review sites will concentrate on some minute details and differences between cameras that in reality the average user will not notice or care about.

If possible try the camera first; they could be too small or too big for you to use easily.
I use a Canon DSLR, which is, as every inteligent person knows, the best. :P  :D

In my opinion Canon has a slight advantage over Nikon since the menu is better and some of the accessories is cheaper for Canon.

And yes, Canon users are smarter, better looking and better photographers :P

What Canon do you got dks?
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 10:12:15 PM
the nikon vs canon debate will be a never ending one. Putting the price point aside go for what feels better in you hand, i ended up choosing nikon and it's served me very well. However being a large camera i don't take it out with me as often as i should so will soon be considering changing to what chako mentioned.
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:12:19 AM
My need to organize things is a bit over the top at times, hence the link to my photography gear that I update even though I don't frequent the site much.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3583080&postcount=720

Anyways, if you have any questions on any of these lenses, or camera systems, I can help.  :salute:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:08:38 AM
I'm a Nikon person myself, like all smart, good looking photographers.

:D

Seriously, if you know anyone with Nikon/Canon gear is able to lend you a lense here and there, it helps to get that system.  My family has NIkon lenses, my sister has Nikon lenses, so I started iwth Nikon and am very happy.

Try them both in the store, see what feel better.  That is more important than the reviews.  Read em, and see if one has any must-have features or lenses for you, but make sure you try it in store, both brands can feel very different.

Don't be afraid to go with the somewhat cheaper option, a $600 DSLR setup can function almost as well as a $1000 setup.  Save your money for better lenses, you can always upgrade the bodies later.

I like the cheaper options because they tend to be smaller and lighter, important for my style of (travel) photography.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:57:31 PM

In my opinion Canon has a slight advantage over Nikon since the menu is better and some of the accessories is cheaper for Canon.

My SLR is a 500D with the 430 flash and a few lenses
I also have a 350D that is supposed to be getting repaired for the past 2 years...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 06:43:59 PM
Pfft.  I shoot Olympus.  Clearly, clearly the superior system.

That is, it was until the company started ignoring the full-size dSLR market to concentrate on EVIL cameras.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:11:56 PM

My SLR is a 500D with the 430 flash and a few lenses
I also have a 350D that is supposed to be getting repaired for the past 2 years...

Nice :) My first DSLR was a 500D and exactly after having it 1 year I sold it to a drunk Swedish guy in a bar and upgraded to a 7D :P The 500D is a great camera and I really loved it, would say that it's a much better entry camera than a 1000D.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:44 AM
I once had an Olympus OM10 before I bought my Pentax SF10 during High School in the late 80s. I sadly do not have the Olympus system anymore, but I still have all my old Pentax gear.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 03:00:58 PM
Being a Nikon guy, I can recommend the D3100 with the kit lens.  I have one, and have yet to be disappointed.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 03:42:09 PM
I second the motion.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 04:22:38 PM
Don't forget about Sony as well.  Minolta A mount lenses fit and are usually a fair bit cheaper then both Nikon and Canon (at least around here).  I have an old Sony A100 that I bought almost 5 years ago before my son was born and I couldn't be happier with it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%