Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Benner's collection of multi's, SAK's and knives.

Benner · 48 · 6326

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Benner's collection of multi's, SAK's and knives.
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 09:33:35 PM
She was a little surprised to see how many there were when they were all layed out.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 09:43:11 PM
you've really got a nice size (papa/mama/baby bear) collection there.
I gotta do that, like a squirt/juice size MT,... if only because it looks good!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 10:12:52 PM
Bloody hell, that Hybrid must be big if it make the Swisstool look small :o
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 10:13:48 PM
It is a bit of a big bugger.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 10:15:57 PM
Just make's it easier for the wife to find it, if she fancies doing a spot of vasectomy during the night :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 10:16:54 PM
Just make's it easier for the wife to find it, if she fancies doing a spot of vasectomy during the night :D

Would save me a few quid in the long run.  :P
I'm back!!

Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 10:18:00 PM
You'd just better hope that she's good with a needle and thread afterwards :D

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 12:14:25 AM
I think that you have a great collection and have your bases covered.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 01:47:05 AM
Very nice spread you have there sir!  :multi:

Somehow I'd forgotten you owned an original Wave. Another great classic that one is. Some folks like it better than the New Wave.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 04:05:55 PM

Somehow I'd forgotten you owned an original Wave. Another great classic that one is. Some folks like it better than the New Wave.

I do indeed, and at the risk of sounding really unpopular, I am really not that keen on it.  :-\
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 04:43:47 PM

I do indeed, and at the risk of sounding really unpopular, I am really not that keen on it.  :-\

To each his own certainly, but what about it don't you care for?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 05:08:16 PM
You've got me started now.  :D

The first thing I don't like is the number of flat headed screwdrivers.  Why have 4 ???  That just seems such a waste to me which brings me on to my second issue which is that it doesn't have an awl.  I just cant understand why Leatherman would see it a better option to have 4 flat head screwdrivers over 3 with an awl. :think:

I also really don't like how much flex there is in the handles.  As I have a few other LM's, including the PST and Supertool, this was really disappointing as one thing I always liked about LM was how strong they felt.  I could cope with it if it was just noticable when using the pliers, but it is also quite noticable when using one of the screwdrivers (one of the FOUR flatheads expect  ::)).

I don't like the liner locks either.  When I received my Wave one of the locks was broken, so it was sent off to LM to be repaired where they actually replaced both handles with new parts.  When I got it back, I tried it and noticed that the lock didn't really engage very well on one of the blades ( a common find with these and the Charge I hear) and that it failed very very easily.  This lock now engages much further but still fails very easily with just a lightish tap on the top of the blade.  This admittedly could probably be fixed by LM though.

Lastly (yes the rant is nearly over  :D) I think that my major dislike with this tool is how disappointed I am with it.  I expected so much more from it TBH as I always considered the Wave (or Charge) to be the "ultimate" multitool and I guess that by getting one and not really liking it just makes me even more sour about it.

I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 05:26:23 PM
Sounds as if you've got some valid, well-thought-out reasons there sir. I'll grant you the point about the 4 flathead screwdivers. Someone at Leatherman didn't have much imagination (or more likely was trying to save the company money) when assigning the Wave its blade selecion. Certainly an awl would have been a welcome substitution.

As regards your other two points, let me put forward a different complaint: I don't like the inconsistant quality of Leatherman construction. Of the dozen different Waves I have handled, most had secure blade locks and solid plier handles. (No flex)

Yet a couple had poor lock engagement, and another one had floppy handles. It's these sort of inconsistancies that tarnish a tool's (and a company's) reputation.  :(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 05:35:15 PM
My handles aren't floppy as in loose, but don't line up when closed and easily flex and twist which make the tool feel cheap as a result.  :(

Is this inconsistancy trend a newer thing of Leathermans?  I know the Wave is relatively old now, but my Supertool and PST feel so much more of a "quality" product.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 08:04:09 PM
Apparently I've been luckier than most in that I haven't experienced any disappointments in Leatherman quality. However there seems to be a disturbing number of folks reporting problems here on the forums. Not really a pattern to it either. More of a random thing with nagging little issues popping up on different models, different problems, etc.

Makes me think maybe Leatherman should pay closer attention to their quality control. Its better to get it right the first time than to have to fix it later under warranty. :-\

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #45 on: April 05, 2008, 11:59:50 PM
benner, nice collection. I have never had any defects in my leatherman tools. I must be lucky. you have a nice collection.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #46 on: April 06, 2008, 05:28:51 PM
You've got me started now.  :D

The first thing I don't like is the number of flat headed screwdrivers.  Why have 4 ???  That just seems such a waste to me which brings me on to my second issue which is that it doesn't have an awl.  I just cant understand why Leatherman would see it a better option to have 4 flat head screwdrivers over 3 with an awl. :think:

I also really don't like how much flex there is in the handles.  As I have a few other LM's, including the PST and Supertool, this was really disappointing as one thing I always liked about LM was how strong they felt.  I could cope with it if it was just noticable when using the pliers, but it is also quite noticable when using one of the screwdrivers (one of the FOUR flatheads expect  ::)).

I don't like the liner locks either.  When I received my Wave one of the locks was broken, so it was sent off to LM to be repaired where they actually replaced both handles with new parts.  When I got it back, I tried it and noticed that the lock didn't really engage very well on one of the blades ( a common find with these and the Charge I hear) and that it failed very very easily.  This lock now engages much further but still fails very easily with just a lightish tap on the top of the blade.  This admittedly could probably be fixed by LM though.

Lastly (yes the rant is nearly over  :D) I think that my major dislike with this tool is how disappointed I am with it.  I expected so much more from it TBH as I always considered the Wave (or Charge) to be the "ultimate" multitool and I guess that by getting one and not really liking it just makes me even more sour about it.

I have a one word answer for this problem......Victorinox!

Just teasing though,I could not help myself.On a serious note I understand the issues.I bought a Wave when they first came out and experinced sevral of the problems mentioned.After a chat with Leatherman I returned it and recieved a new one at NC and the problems I experinced were gone.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: April 06, 2008, 05:37:53 PM
Actually, that answer worked for me.  :D
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56