Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

THE HOCKEY THREAD!!!! (spoilers) 62756

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,241
Re: THE HOCKEY THREAD!!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:27 AM »
that must be the worst feeling to put the puck in your own goal! doh

I remember seeing that in the playoffs couple years ago, everyone is like in shock and disbelief and we're like OMG!

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 19,687 What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
that must be the worst feeling to put the puck in your own goal! doh

I remember seeing that in the playoffs couple years ago, everyone is like in shock and disbelief and we're like OMG!

Yup Dan Boyle had that happen to him in the playoffs either last year or the year before. He came out the next game and scored the first goal and it was pretty quick into the first period if I remember correctly.

I'm the milk man!
Hero Member Posts: 802
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »
Putting the puck in your own goal must be the worst thing for a fan to see.   

What is your favorite?

Mine is seeing my team get a short handed goal.  It's like saying "See, you can't beat us even when you have more players".

Tick Magnet
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
I luv the break-away :tu:

Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 10,526 Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
Putting the puck in your own goal must be the worst thing for a fan to see.   

What is your favorite?

Mine is seeing my team get a short handed goal.  It's like saying "See, you can't beat us even when you have more players".

+1  :tu:. watching John Madden play for years in NJ was always great, one hell of a short-handed player. Watching Brodeur in his prime rob someone with that wicked glove of his was always a favorite of mine as well.

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 19,687 What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »
Is he still on the Wild. If so the Sharks are going to play them tonight. We also get to play against our old team mates Danny Heatley and Devin Setoguchi.

I'm the milk man!
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 11:42:10 PM »
Maltby had 8 short handed goals in one season for the Red Wings.   The man was in his element in a short handed situation

Tick Magnet
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 10,526 Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 12:27:35 AM »
Is he still on the Wild. If so the Sharks are going to play them tonight. We also get to play against our old team mates Danny Heatley and Devin Setoguchi.
Honestly, I'm not sure. :think: Madden was a GREAT penalty killer and just a ton of fun to watch play for a little guy.

Maltby had 8 short handed goals in one season for the Red Wings.   The man was in his element in a short handed situation
8 short handed in a season? Damn!

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
Well, I got to see a short-handed goal last night. The only problem is that it was for the smurfing Caps! :rant:
If hit posts counted, the Devils would have whupped 'em last night. Sadly, 3-1 Washington.

Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 12,140 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
Well, I got to see a short-handed goal last night. The only problem is that it was for the smurfing Caps! :rant:
If hit posts counted, the Devils would have whupped 'em last night. Sadly, 3-1 Washington.

Sadly??  :o >:(

My kids are going to the game tonight.

BTW, my wife and I both commented on a few things:

1.  The Devils looked fantastic in the first 2 periods.  Much more on top of things than the Caps
2.  Vokoun is not the answer for the Caps.  He just can't get his paws on the biscuit.
3.  We were shocked at how few fans were at the game.  :(

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »

Sadly??  :o >:(

My kids are going to the game tonight.

BTW, my wife and I both commented on a few things:

1.  The Devils looked fantastic in the first 2 periods.  Much more on top of things than the Caps
2.  Vokoun is not the answer for the Caps.  He just can't get his paws on the biscuit.
3.  We were shocked at how few fans were at the game.  :(
Yes, sadly. Hey, I sure wasn't wearing an Ovechkin sweater last night! (It was my red white and green Daneyko one  :)) The Devils DID look great during the first two periods. Seeing Adam Larsson get his first NHL goal was pretty neat, the day before his 19th birthday no less. As to the number of people there, that's sadly rather common. The announced attendance was 15,000 or so. There sure wasn't 15,000 people there, more like 10 or so. The building holds 17,625 for hockey. With the Rangers and Flyers nearby and so long established, you find that the Devils fan base tends to be on the younger side, and can't afford to go to too many games on a lark. I save up during the summer and fall for my ticket fund  :).

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
If hit posts counted, the Devils would have whupped 'em last night.

I luv that sound: "DING!!!"  :D

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
Hard loss for the Sharks last night.  :rant:

I'm the milk man!
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
Looks like the Redwings are back on the right track. 

Tick Magnet
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Blackhawks with 25 points now! tops in league, with a lot of games played :tu: (for now lol)

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:16 PM »
The Hockey Hall of Fame induction was yesterday. This years' class- Mark Howe, Ed Belfour, Doug Gilmour, and Joe Nieuwendyk.  I remember Howe playing for the Flyers and Red Wings (swept by my boys in '95!). Anyone remember the "cold medicine" excuse Belfour gave in the 2000 Cup finals for getting shelled in game 1? :) Seriously, Eddie the Eagle was phenomenal, and will always be a Blackhawk in my mind. Gilmour will always be a Leaf in my head, though I did get to watch him play here in Jersey. And Nieuwendyk was on that 2000 NJ team that won Cup #2. Great players all, not the showiest, but definitely guys I would have loved to have on my team, and in tow cases did for a time. Congratulations! :salute:

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 12:49:24 AM »
Uh oh, Mr. Whippy, trouble in Ovi land? ::) The Caps fired Bruce Boudreau today, and replaced him with Dale Hunter. The Hurricanes also made a coaching change, firing Paul Maurice (again!) and hiring Kirk Muller! Damn, I remember Muller as the Devils' captain back in the late 80's.

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 02:10:49 AM »
Sharks play tonight. Can't wait.  :ahhh

I'm the milk man!
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 12,140 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »
Uh oh, Mr. Whippy, trouble in Ovi land? ::) The Caps fired Bruce Boudreau today, and replaced him with Dale Hunter. The Hurricanes also made a coaching change, firing Paul Maurice (again!) and hiring Kirk Muller! Damn, I remember Muller as the Devils' captain back in the late 80's.

Yup.  When the first string gets beaten like a dog by NINE rookie players, something has to change.  Boudreau was the logical one to go.  Now, Ovi (and Semin, and to a lesser extent Backstrom and Vokoun) have no excuses and better produce.  I have tickets for the Pens game Thursday.  I'm really excited to see what the team looks like on that night.  :)

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
Holy Frijole!

The NJ Devils are heating up!  Hopefully the Caps will get back to the old form in time for a big run in April.

On another note:

Sidney Crosby is looking like a career coming near its end.  :(  As a Caps fan, I hate the guy, but he's a top competitor and clearcut team leader.  I hope he recovers and can go on, but this doesn't sound good to me.  He (and to a lesser degree, Pens fans) don't deserve this.

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »
Holy Frijole!

The NJ Devils are heating up!  Hopefully the Caps will get back to the old form in time for a big run in April.

On another note:

Sidney Crosby is looking like a career coming near its end.  :(  As a Caps fan, I hate the guy, but he's a top competitor and clearcut team leader.  I hope he recovers and can go on, but this doesn't sound good to me.  He (and to a lesser degree, Pens fans) don't deserve this.

Yeah, the Devils haven't looked bad the past few games. The offense has picked up - 5 goals last night!- and the penalty kill is the best in the league. They did give up 4 goals last night though, and shorthanded goals against are killing them! As for Cindy Crosby, it is kinda sad to see, to a point. Concussions are nasty things though, ended the careers of the Lindros brothers, amongst others. And did you read the 3 part series in the New York Times about Derek Boogaard? Dear God! Brain damage + addiction = some VERY scary stuff.
If you haven't read the article, here it is: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-boy-learns-to-brawl.html?_r=1

That's part one. It is a great piece of journalism, very sobering stuff.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:08:02 PM by jerseydevil »

No Life Club Posts: 2,549
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
Holy Frijole!

On another note:

I think he needs some time off.  Career ender?  I dunno about that.

There are a lot of concussion problems in the NHL this year, Crosby, Pronger, Skinner and now Claude Giroux.  Four stars.  I wonder if this will finally make the NHL do something about it.
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
Holy Frijole!

On another note:

There are a lot of concussion problems in the NHL this year, Crosby, Pronger, Skinner and now Claude Giroux.  Four stars.  I wonder if this will finally make the NHL do something about it.

I think they're willing to identify concussions more this year. Re: Giroux.  That was a hit from his teammate if I'm not mistaken (knee to head).

The mechanism of concussion is generally a rotational injury (like the Steckl/Crosby shot).  The only thing that would help that is some sort of helmet/jaw protection with anti-rotation straps (like racecar drivers have).

I don't know.  It's pretty scary.

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
Holy Frijole!

On another note:

I think they're willing to identify concussions more this year. Re: Giroux.  That was a hit from his teammate if I'm not mistaken (knee to head).

The mechanism of concussion is generally a rotational injury (like the Steckl/Crosby shot).  The only thing that would help that is some sort of helmet/jaw protection with anti-rotation straps (like racecar drivers have).

I don't know.  It's pretty scary.

-Giroux fell on the ice and Simmonds hit him in the back of the head with his knee trying to jump over him. 
-Skinner was hit straight on in an open-ice hit by Andy Sutton. 
-Crosby first got the shoulder to the head from Steckel, then the hit from behind by Hedman, and then an inadvertent elbow to the head from Kreijci. 
-Pronger got hit from behind in to the boards face first (I can't remember who did it). 
-Kris Letang was elbowed in the head by Max Pacioretty.
-Ryan Miller was hit by Milan Lucic.
-Ryan Wilson was hit in to the boards by Maxim Lapierre.
-Daniel Paille was hit straight on by Krystofer Barch against the boards.
-Nino Niederreiter was hit in the head by Marc Fistric

And those are just the ones I know the causes of off the top of my head.  There are a ton more concussions this year that I haven't seen or can't remember the causes of (Michalek, Gerbe, Andy McDonald, Sauer, Staal, Zidlicky).  Seems to be fairly even split between direct hits, whiplash-type hits and rotational hits.  Combination of stronger calls on obstruction, bigger/faster players and much harder equipment.
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 02:31:27 AM »
And now Milan Michalek and Joni Pitkanen are both out with concussions.  What a wonderful season.
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:42 AM »
I think that it's not so much that more concussions are happening this year, it's that they're being diagnosed and reported MUCH more. The new guidelines from the league help with that. Concussions have always been a serious problem in the NHL, but most guys would play through it. It took Crosby being out for so long to make the issue stand out. Scott Stevens, for example, played two entire seasons with post-concussion symptoms before it finally caught up to him and forced him to retire.

On a separate note,I'm going to the Devils-Stars game on Friday. The big thing that's going to happen is that Scott Niedermayer's #27 is going to be retired! It's the third number the Devils have retired (Scott Stevens' #4 and Ken Daneyko's #3 are the others). After Saturday, I'll have been to all three retirement ceremonies, neat stuff.

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 11:29:13 PM »
So last night the Devils retired Scott Niedermayer's number 27 at the Prudential Center in Newark. I had great seats for it, and the game that followed, a 6-3 drubbing of the Stars. Travis Zajac made his season debut following an ACL injury in August, so it was a great night all around. They're playing Montreal and their new head coach tonight. I'm not going to comment on the Mike Milbury situation, though I will say that the video of him going into the stands at MSG in '79 is great.

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
It's good to see NJ bouncing back.

Ovi with the last minute game winner!  Nicely done.

Crosby on injured reserve.  Not good. :(

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He who has the most nuts, wins! Posts: 56,885 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2011, 04:17:29 AM »
Canada 10, Denmark 2.  No wonder Allan isn't here!   :ahhh

Def

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 05:42:15 AM »
Simon Gagne, Shea Weber and John-Michael Liles are the last folks on the All-Concussion team in the NHL.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $559.65
PayPal Fees: $32.97
Net Balance: $526.68
Above Goal: $251.68
Site Currency: USD
192% 
June Donations

Community Links