Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox ECD selection

Rafal · 21 · 3058

Offline Rafal

Alox ECD selection
on: November 04, 2011, 05:58:34 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here. I have however used swiss army knives for many years. Recently I decided to pick an Alox swiss army knife as an everyday carry. I got a Wenger Standard Issue and am waiting for a Victorinox Electrician and Harvester. Hopefully one of them will work out. I like the idea of a second blade on the Electrician and Harvester (especially for trimming saxophone reeds) but don't really like giving up the small screw driver which I use a lot.
If I end up with the Electrician, I can convert the reamer to a small screwdriver.
If I end up with a Harvester, I can mod the top of the saw into a small screw driver.

Ultimately, I'd like somethnig relatively simple and light that can last me a life time.

What do you suggest? What was your approach when selecting your EDC?

Cheers,

Rafal

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Alox ECD selection
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:19:45 PM
Welcome!

Ive always had a SAK, but never a Alox,till about 3 months ago, but still haven't done anything with it. im waiting for a few others to come in so that i can have them customized into one. Cant wait! nice thing is it will be an original, it will have red scales, and with brass liners unlike the silver ones! oh i just so cant wait,, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Rafal

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:01 PM
That sounds pretty sweet. What are you planning to end up with in the end?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:26 PM

[|||RED ALOX||||]
|nailfile------knife|
|-------saw-----|
|-----scissors----|O
|carabiner--philips|
|bottle------ can|
[|||RED ALOX||||]

Now close your eyes and try to see it, lol thats what im aiming for. cant wait! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Rafal

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:21:52 PM

[|||RED ALOX||||]
|nailfile------knife|
|-------saw-----|
|-----scissors----|O
|carabiner--philips|
|bottle------ can|
[|||RED ALOX||||]

Now close your eyes and try to see it, lol thats what im aiming for. cant wait! JR

That's cool. It will make a big SAK. What is the carabiner?

Cheers,

R.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:25:27 PM
On the can opener on the SI is a flat driver that works for Phillips and small standard heads.  Do you need smaller than that?

Offline Rafal

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 09:29:49 PM
On the can opener on the SI is a flat driver that works for Phillips and small standard heads.  Do you need smaller than that?

No,

That's about the size I want, but If I go with the Electrician or Harvester, I'll loose it (and gain the small knife in it's place). I could always stay with Wenger SI but I would really like a small blade.

Cheers,

R.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:43 PM
Yea, I bet the Electrician's blade would be great for trimming reeds...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:00:05 PM

[|||RED ALOX||||]
|nailfile------knife|
|-------saw-----|
|-----scissors----|O
|carabiner--philips|
|bottle------ can|
[|||RED ALOX||||]

That's cool. It will make a big SAK. What is the carabiner?

Cheers,

R.
its called a snap shackle, but looks to me as a carabiner, does the same thing? JR

Offline Rafal

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:16:49 AM
Yea, I bet the Electrician's blade would be great for trimming reeds...

Thanks,

That's what I was thinking.

Cheers,

Rafal

be Offline dodge_911

Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:09:04 PM
its called a snap shackle, but looks to me as a carabiner, does the same thing? JR
Isn't that a Wenger exclusive?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 02:13:45 PM
Isn't that a Wenger exclusive?
Theres about 5-6 Wenger that have that set up, with the snap shackle/philips. JR

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 02:29:03 PM
My 2 cents is that Wenger SI should be your main goto Alox SAK  :tu:
SAW

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 02:33:59 PM
My 2 cents is that Wenger SI should be your main goto Alox SAK  :tu:
Well thats basically what im starting with, just adding a few parts.. JR

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 02:36:20 PM
I would advise against making a small driver out of the awl.  It seems better to have it modded by someone if it will take Vic parts.
SAW

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 02:40:58 PM
I would advise against making a small driver out of the awl.  It seems better to have it modded by someone if it will take Vic parts.
Im having someone modify it, as far as the awl, im hoping that a small nail file off of another knife fits, only time will tell,, JR

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 02:48:20 PM
Im having someone modify it, as far as the awl, im hoping that a small nail file off of another knife fits, only time will tell,, JR

Maybe you should get a Cadet as a starting point? It has the file and most of the other tools are available in 84mm as well.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 06:28:42 PM

Maybe you should get a Cadet as a starting point? It has the file and most of the other tools are available in 84mm as well.
the starting knife is a pioneer, i snatched that one up a while back, cause well its red.. but yeah now that i think of it that would have been a good idea! i hope everything works, err..  JR

Offline Rafal

Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 07:38:55 PM
Hi All,

I got a black Pioneer and an alox Harvester today. I'm trying to decide which one to keep as an EDC. I like the pocket-friendliness of the Pioneer and I think the black fininish will wear very nicely. The Harvester on the other hand has this super cool pruning blade and the thickness is actually more comfy to hold. The saw is also very nice. I was worried that I'd miss the small screwdriver, but I can modify the tip of the saw into a small flat head screw driver.  I am wondering which one I should keep but honestly I think the Harvester will be more useful (and I don't think it's too big for carrying in a pocket).

What do you think?

Cheers,

R.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 07:46:51 PM
I love that pruner blade too.  It's awesome for opening packages.  For me I need a key ring though so I'm moving the pruner blade onto a pioneer so it has the key ring, plus scissors.  Haven't started yet, but that's the plan anyhow.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 08:00:02 PM
Interesting comments.

I also think the 3 layer alox (in my case, the Farmer) is the most comfortable SAK for handling.  In my mind, I think of it as being "square".  The Pioneer/Soldier is a great knife, but a little thin for me as far as gripping the tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD
29%