Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Warranty???

Offline TWBryan

Victorinox Warranty???
on: January 03, 2008, 03:15:25 AM
          Hello,I'm new here,but have read many posts. I'm contemplating the purchase of a Victorinox Spirit multi-tool.
Has anyone here dealt with Victorinox warranty repair with their multi-tool? I once had a bad experience with them and am leery of buying something from them again. BTW can anyone here tell me how good the wire cutters are? Anyone here cut barbed wire with them?

Thanks

TWBryan
T

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Victorinox Warranty???
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:30:26 AM
As the owner of the world's largest independant SAK enthusiast and collector's organization, I can honestly say that the complaints about their warranty service are few and far between.

Welcome to the forum, and if there's anything I can do to help, please ask.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:38:20 AM
 Thanks Defender,I must be one of the few unfortunates. I'm not here to rag on Victorinox,just trying  to find out
what other's experiences are ,and what capabilities the Spirit has.

Thanks Again

TWBryan
T

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:39:42 AM
May I ask what the issue was?
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:41:47 AM
No problem- as an independant, I can point out problems too!  Unfortunately it means I have little to no contact with anyone directly at the company, so if you have a problem I may not be much direct help.  If you want to check out the SAK website I have it's www.sosakonline.com and many members here are also members there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:47:54 AM
Leatherman123- Being unsure of this forum's policy I'm not certain I should discuss the matter. Being new,I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Defender-Thanks, it's ancient history at this point. Just want to know how others have been treated.

Thanks

TWBryan
T

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:53:10 AM
Oh, ok.
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 04:07:33 AM
I don't know if the wire cutters on a Spirit would break barbed wire, well, not without damaging the cutters. 
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 04:30:26 AM
There's possibly an entirely legitimate reason to want to be cutting barbed wire, but there's even more suspicious reasons.

I've been wondering when SOG will release a multi entitled "The Vandal", loaded with a specified selection of blades for those up to mischief.

(Hmm, lets see. Phillips (for stealing things that are in fact attached to other things), pry bar or heavy duty spike (for general vandalising), clip point blade (Miscreants prefer the look and sharp tip over Penknife or Sheepfoot styles), cap-lifter (an excuse to get the tool out in front of mates), heavy duty cutters for getting through chain link fences and the aforementioned barbed wire. - Probably Anvil rather than bypass style.
removable bits of wire for jiggering cheap padlocks.

That could be it, as it also has to be small enough to hide in your shoe.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 04:44:24 AM
      Ran another forum search and found one account of the Spirit being able to cut barbed wire,no mention of damage to jaws. Still no response on warranty issues. Ok,where can I buy a Spirit S model then?

Thanks

TWBryan
T

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 05:27:17 AM
Ok,where can I buy a Spirit S model then?

I'm sure many of the site advertisers can supply this particular item.

as for locally - beats me.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 10:50:19 AM
      Ran another forum search and found one account of the Spirit being able to cut barbed wire,no mention of damage to jaws. Still no response on warranty issues. Ok,where can I buy a Spirit S model then?

Thanks

TWBryan
I've never had a warrentee issue but, I know a couple of people who have, and they've had absolutley no problems on that score :)

Welcome to the forum mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:50:44 AM
There's possibly an entirely legitimate reason to want to be cutting barbed wire, but there's even more suspicious reasons.

I've been wondering when SOG will release a multi entitled "The Vandal", loaded with a specified selection of blades for those up to mischief.

(Hmm, lets see. Phillips (for stealing things that are in fact attached to other things), pry bar or heavy duty spike (for general vandalising), clip point blade (Miscreants prefer the look and sharp tip over Penknife or Sheepfoot styles), cap-lifter (an excuse to get the tool out in front of mates), heavy duty cutters for getting through chain link fences and the aforementioned barbed wire. - Probably Anvil rather than bypass style.

Put me down for one of those too :D

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 10:52:19 AM

Thanks

TWBryan
Another vote for the banner advertisers ...

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_phpshop&page=shop.browse&category_id=d71e8207f18207d6e07f2a32bf5b8baa&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

Offline TWBryan

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:33:32 PM
Nomad- Sent email to felinevet,waiting for reply. EDC depot doesn't have it,neither does the handtool place.

Micky D-Thanks for the welcome,seems like a nice place. Trying to see if felinevet has one I want in stock.

Thanks

TWBryan
T

Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 01:37:50 PM
Nomad- Sent email to felinevet,waiting for reply. EDC depot doesn't have it,neither does the handtool place.

Micky D-Thanks for the welcome,seems like a nice place. Trying to see if felinevet has one I want in stock.

Thanks

TWBryan
No worries mate, felinevet usually carries them, and he's really quick on the email front, so you should know soon :)

Offline TWBryan

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 04:45:50 AM
 Just ordered a Victorinox Spirit S and half-dozen used spartans from felinevet. Hoping the multi-tool is as good as everyone here claims. If I need customer service and they screw me like last time I will go off on the poor sucker who gives me a hard time...

T

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 06:51:48 AM
 I think you'll be very well satisfied with your new Spirit,I am with mine. There was a period some years back when customer service at Vic's US operations wasn't up to the standard of Vic's Swiss operations,and some customers were less than happy,but I think those issues have been resolved.
I

Offline TWBryan

Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 12:34:37 PM
Thanks Bison56,that would explain things. Looking forward to testing out the Spirit, after a lot of consideration it seems to be the one tool that combines the quality and tool complement I've been looking for. If it works out I may try their standard swisstool down the road.. :multi:
T

Offline FredKJ

Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 02:10:29 PM

While I can understand the suspicion I could also see someone working on a farm using something like that very regulary. 

Offline TWBryan

Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 07:36:16 PM
Actually I just chose barbed wire as a standard,because I doubt I would be cutting anything tougher than that with a multi-tool. Heard on bladeforums they won't cut the stuff. It begins to look like I will be the one to supply a definitive answer when I do it myself. Holdong off on purchase of swisstool until I do...

TWBryan
T

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 07:46:34 PM
Actually I just chose barbed wire as a standard,because I doubt I would be cutting anything tougher than that with a multi-tool. Heard on bladeforums they won't cut the stuff. It begins to look like I will be the one to supply a definitive answer when I do it myself. Holdong off on purchase of swisstool until I do...

TWBryan

Actually I just happen to know where there is some barbed wire and after I've finnished my evening meal I cant see any reason not to go and get it and have a little play  :D  With pics of course .

I'll try Defs 3 Sogs on it first  :P   ( Just kidding  ;)  )

Dunc

Offline TWBryan

Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 08:00:20 PM
By all means with pics. I have no idea when the package from felinevet will arrive.

TWBryan
T

Offline FredKJ

Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 08:42:07 PM
If you're gonna be up to no good when is Vic going to have lock picks and a tension wrench?  They make jack knife lockpick sets seems like a logical evolution.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 08:55:28 PM
  I sometimes carry a lockpick,but not for illegal purposes. I'm waiting for Victorinox to com out with a survival model that houses a fold out .22 firearm.  >:D >:D >:D

TWBryan
T

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 09:28:11 PM
Ok heres the results  :o

First a Before pic

Then the Video ( sorry its a bit dark ) and yes I did butterfly the Swisstool open at the start  ;) . btw I needed to use two hands to cut the barbed wire .Just click on the image to play

And the after pic . I looked at the plier jaws through a magnifying glass and there is absolutely no damage  :D

Dunc

Offline TWBryan

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 09:46:44 PM
          Ok then,guess we're good to go. Thanks Dunc5 I truly appreciate the time you took to do this. Now I need to decide where to get a Swisstool at. 

:multi:

TWBryan
T

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 09:53:53 PM
          Ok then,guess we're good to go. Thanks Dunc5 I truly appreciate the time you took to do this. Now I need to decide where to get a Swisstool at. 

:multi:

TWBryan

Look no further then felinevet . He's one of the banner advertisers on here .The Swisstool I used was an RS model with a 2002 pliers head so I cant vouch for how say a 1998 plier head . Sorry I wasnt willing to use any of my other mint Swisstools .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 09:56:18 PM
Felinevet has just got a load in and is the cheapest guy I know.  You simply can't go wrong with him.

Damn impressive video that Dunc!  :o  And the way the cutters stood up was pretty impressive too. But I did expect no less!  :D
I'm back!!

Offline TWBryan

Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 10:10:07 PM
Benner I am still evaluating felinevet as a vendor. I can find places where I can get one cheaper,but not when you include free shipping.

TWBryan
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44