Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what to spend £50 on??? please help

5hif7y · 20 · 2731

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:44 PM
hay all. im new here and need a little help deciding what to spend a little birthday money on???

ive got £50 and so far the things im looking at are...

spyderco ukpk semi serated.
leatherman micra
4 sevens preon 2
fenix ld 15
victorinox Explorer
maybe a victorinox solo

what do you guys fink? what would you pick if any or what you recormend???

thanks for any help

lewis
-----5hif7y-----

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: what to spend £50 on??? please help
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:03:20 PM
That would be about $80, right?

If you're thinking about the 108mm VIC Solo, which is great (I wish VIC whent back to making 108mm models), than DX seems much cheaper than most UK based stores I've checked.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/genuine-victorinox-stainless-steel-manual-release-folding-pocket-swiss-army-knife-73mm-blade-56995
$16

As for the Fenix LD15, I think you would like the 4sevens AA mini http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_355&products_id=2044
$39

or Olight i2 (newest version of the iTP A2/Maratac AA) http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=86_449&products_id=2679 better. They seem like more versatile torches IMHO.  $30

Also note that 4sevens has a 15% discount next Friday, the 11th of November and the coupon code is VETS2011.

I don't like semi serrated blades/combo edges, could never see the sense of them, and especially in a blade as short as a UKPK. I'd rather go with a full plain edge or fully serrated, depending on your needs.  There is a Byrd Tern coming if you want to go a little cheaper. Still a slipjoint, and has that leaf shaped blade.
As for the SAK and Micra, great choices :tu:

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:19:30 PM
i am a little confused.... i didnt mean all of those items i ment one lol. :oops:

over hear the ukpk is about £50, so is the preon 2.

the others where just ideas but i would never be able to get all of them. it would come to over £200
-----5hif7y-----

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:31:04 PM
i am a little confused.... i didnt mean all of those items i ment one lol. :oops:

over hear the ukpk is about £50, so is the preon 2.

the others where just ideas but i would never be able to get all of them. it would come to over £200

That's why I gave you the links to the 4Sevens website and the coupon code. They are the manufacturer of the Preon, the Quark, partners of Olight and first and main distributors of Fenix, and have free worldwide shipping. So the Preon 2 you'd buy in UK for £50 will cost you £24 with shipping if you buy it from 4sevens on friday.

$45 - 15% = $38.25 = £23.92

It's crazy expensive for us Europeans to buy locally. That's why we have the internet and each other.
If you shop around you might even buy all of the items on your list.  :D :mail:

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:37:28 PM
i seee. wow thanks, i might just have to do that. £24 would be a silly price to turn down and i could still get something else like the micra or solo.

chears dude
-----5hif7y-----

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:30 PM
Just saw your very respectable EDC setup  :tu:

I would say the only thing your missing is a dedicated folding knife so therefore I would recommend the FRN UKPK  :tu: You can pick up one up from Heinnie for £43  :D
That leaves £8 to go in the pot for your next purchase  :cheers:
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/-UK-Legal-Carry-Knives/Spyderco-UK-Legal-Knives/Spyderco-Knives-UK-Penknife-FRN-Leaf-Blade/p-92-641-658-6081/

Or depending on your needs you could get the more 'sheeple' friendly Squeak for £48  :D
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/Spyderco-Knives-Squeak/p-92-191-6782/

As far as most gear goes I wouldn't buy from ripoff UK. Post a wanted ad here or buy from US retailers; it's not as scary or as expensive as anyone thinks  :tu:

Heinnie's offers a great service and are the only local place that gets my cash  :salute:

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:47:06 PM
yeah i would realy like a ukpk. i do have folders but there not uk legal just because they lock. like the spyderco dragon fly. so the reason for the ukpk is so i can go legal.

im a responsible person i would hate to be arrested for just having a knife.

i was wondering, do you fink i would be able to trade the frn dragonfly 2 for a frn ukpk on hear???
-----5hif7y-----

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:39 PM
The UKPK's are awesome  :tu:

There was a guy selling a PE Maroon FRN UKPK on BB for £31. I assume he still is.
Not serrated but maybe worth a look  :)

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?135830-UKPK-FRN-Leaf-Blade-PE-x-3

I would have thought a straight swap would be fair if the condition is good. Get some pics and post it up
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,27.0.html

de Offline Jmora

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 10:57:16 PM
I'm on a bit of a UKPK kick at the moment, had one FRN versionearly this year, and it was great, unfortunately I lost it out of my pocket. I have just ordered a g10 replacement after months of drooling over them.
If you were going for that, there is a difference between older model FRN UKPKs and newer ones, and that is the backspring. Customers found the early backsprings a little too soft, not enough snap. So Spyderco has put stronger backsprings in the more recent editions. I found with my one that the backspring was a little soft. It made it easier to open and close, but didn't have that reassuring click that you like to hear from a slipjoint. Just something to bear in mind if you go for one of those, see if you can get a newer one.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:27:47 PM
is there any way of telling whats new and whats old???
-----5hif7y-----

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:54 AM
I'm guessing they updated the backspring when the changed the steel from GIN-1 to CTS BD1.

I had an early FRN model and there is real difference between it and the more expensive G10 one. I currently have two G10 UKPK's in Orange and Black. I would recommend getting the FRN model. Once you realise how much you use it you can justify the extra expense  :D

Maybe even get a Titanium one; only £195  :ahhh

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 01:34:16 AM
with the way things are at the moment i dont think i can justify getting something that expensive........but one day....... i hope :cry:
-----5hif7y-----

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:38 AM
If you stick around you might stumble upon real treasures. About 5 minutes ago I bought a blue frn UKPK, GIN-1, leaf blade model for $25 of another forum.  :D

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 02:28:32 PM
Felinevet has a new in box (NIB) alox classic for sale. $24.99. Good deal.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 03:31:46 PM
Amazon UK do Alox Classics for £11 delivered  :tu:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-06221L26-Classic-Alox-Silver/dp/B0014YK236/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320676044&sr=8-1

Sometimes the UK can be cheaper than the US  :o

However if you were considering Alox you'd have to begin with a Farmer  :tu:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Farmer-Knife/dp/B0024FA8ZQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320676044&sr=8-4

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:10:14 AM
ive got the electrician and the gets alot of use. i dont think i would use a farmer as much, i wouldnt have much use for a saw with the work i do.

thanks for the ideas tho. keep them coming
-----5hif7y-----

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 12:44:04 AM
sorry its taken me so long to get back. ive been really busy at work lately. i am going to try to contribute move over the next weeks.

i did spend my little amount of money in the end. i went with a LM micra, because ive wanted one of those for a long time now. i also got a Fenix e11 because i wanted a single AA light for pocket carry. not many people rate it that good but so far i really like it.

ill let you no how they are doing in a few weeks.

sorry for the crappy picture im still fiddling with the settings on my phone camera.
micra_e11.jpg
* micra_e11.jpg (Filesize: 117.75 KB)
-----5hif7y-----

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 01:41:11 AM
I don't have an E11 myself but I do think it makes for a good looking workhorse type torch. :tu:  Plus everyone should own a Micra IMO.  Looks like some money well spent to me. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 01:52:25 AM
I don't have an E11 myself but I do think it makes for a good looking workhorse type torch. :tu:  Plus everyone should own a Micra IMO.  Looks like some money well spent to me. :)

I agree with Gareth, you made some great choices.

I saw the E11 when it first came out and I didn't think much about it but when I realised it was a clicky (a forward clicky at that) and tighten OR loosen user interface, I liked it a lot. I might get one for my fathers birthday. :tu:

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:50 AM
its does feel like money well spent. and your right, everyone should have a micra. Im really happy with the fenix e11 its a nice size for putting in your pocket. ive got a fenix LD20 but that lives in my bag.

i wanted to get another AA light because i get free AA and AAA batteries at work.  :)

the only thing with the e11 is i feel it could do with a pocket clip, but for the price i cant complain. i might have a go at making my own.
-----5hif7y-----

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD