Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Spyderco catalog out

Splat · 13 · 4201

us Offline Splat

New Spyderco catalog out
on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:06 AM
Oh man, you guys have created a monster!  ;) :D  I'm like a total knife nut the past few weeks. I'm already looking to get another blade.   :o  Anyway, the new Spyderco catalog is available for d/l. http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/2008SpydercoCatalog.pdf Enjoy!
Splat

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New Spyderco catalog out
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:27:22 AM
17.5mb- glad I'm not on dial up! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:50:51 AM
I'm not a big Spyderco fan, but I do like the s30v Native.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 02:51:56 AM
I filled out the form on their website to receive a cataloge...but I never got one.  Maybe they were waiting for this new one ot be printed up and shipped out ???
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:54:35 AM
Could be.  I see the Cricket is back- I thought they discontinued that years ago?  I also see they are giving the Dyad new life in a Byrd model called Wings.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:55:08 AM
I'm waiting for the paper catalog before I see what new stuff they have coming out but I'm wicked excitied about the line-up for this year. They have a lot of H1 coming in 2008.  :gimme:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:04:13 AM
I REALLY like Spyderco's. I have one and am in the process of getting another. But unfortunately they're a little pricey. I was kind of hoping to collect them but my wife gave me that "I'm going to fight you every step of the way" look so I decided to not do it. I still hope to pick one up now and then.

But my problem is I look at a $75(and up) Spydie and a $75 multi-tool and realize I can do a lot more with the multi-tool. But they are sweet knives and every once in a while I break out the Navigator II and carry it. That thing will get scary sharp and stay that way for a LONG time.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:35:38 AM
The Aqua Salt appeals to me.

There's little reason for a Folder on a boat, in fact some laws require fixed blades on a vessel (it's a great excuse!).

The folders, I suppose, appeal to those wacky Kayaking folk, but I have the sneaking suspicion that they are well satisfied with Rost Frei swiss blades  ;)

Does anyone have a Byrd? How do they compare to the more premium option?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:47:08 AM by Nomad »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 07:16:42 AM
Actually I was looking at the blunt tipped fixed blade H1 doodad there- can't remember it's rightful name off the top of my head.

If it's offered at a reasonable price I may just have to look into getting one.

DEf

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:28:23 AM
The Caspian?

Whilst I do enjoy a good Webbing/Seatbelt etc cutter, and that blunt tips looks like it could stand some James Bond Impromptu Screwdriverin', I am instinctively suspicious of unconventional handles.

Does anyone have a H1 blade? (I've been pondering the Sheepsfoot folder since I first saw it)
How go they for bladey-ness?

(I've never actually had a problem with rust, I spray all my tools, knives, experimental robotic children and whatnot with various corrosion preventative substances often enough, but I'm sure there's a brag-factor to be had with these magical H1 toys)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 02:13:25 PM
Does anyone have a H1 blade? (I've been pondering the Sheepsfoot folder since I first saw it)

I've been EDCing a yellow-handled Atlantic Salt for quite some time. Short story; It's a great blade. The hollow-ground sheepsfoot blade is best sharpened to a very acute angle and tends to remain sharp much longer than advertised if dropped to a lower edge angle.

Quote from: spoonrobot;3770626
I work in a restaurant located in the middle of nowhere and as such spend most of my time in rural environments. This being the case I need a knife that can handle all kinds of crap and not confound me with rust spots. I have filled this need since August 2004 with the Spyderco Pacific Salt but as of late I have realized the need for a work knife that is not black (multiple power-outages + a dropped knife = me under the oven with a flashlight). Curious about the blade style on the Atlantic Salt I placed an order for a plain edge, yellow model and recieved the knife last week. This knife will replace my well-worn Pacific Salt and I think will be a vast improvement over the old knife.

First, some facts:

+Blade is hollow ground
+Blade length is 3 11/16"
+Handle length is 4 5/8"
+Overall length is 8 1/4"
+Yellow FRN handle
+Lock-back style lock
+2 position Left/Right hand pocket clip
+Rust-proof H1 steel

The knife is full-sized and features a thick, heavy duty blade that folds out of the handle very smoothly with even resistance and engages the lock with a solidly satisfying "clack.
(Image removed from quote.)

The name of the knife is marked on the left side of the blade. I flip-flop between thinking this looks cheap and this looks professional and neat. The blade was easily shaving sharp out of the box and shares the stereotypical cutting characteristics of hollow ground blades. Slight binding in heavy cardboard, poor at whitling, etc. But it does cut everything else very very well.

The knife missed a point in finish as there were scuff marks on the blade as one neared the pivot point. Being that this was not some 1000$ custom folder and a production knife I chalked this up as incidental and forgot about it. H1 will scratch, scuff, and wear very obviously anyway.

The texturing and jimping above the spyderhole and on the finger choil are excellent. Providing a good thumb-rest and finger-guard without any hotspots or discomfort.

The handle is excellent. It is curvy in the right places and the volcano (do they still call it that?) texturing is effective in wet or dry conditions without being harsh.

This knife effectively replaces and improves upon the Pacific Salt as my EDC work knife.

Questions/Comments?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 07:25:15 PM
The Caspian?

Whilst I do enjoy a good Webbing/Seatbelt etc cutter, and that blunt tips looks like it could stand some James Bond Impromptu Screwdriverin', I am instinctively suspicious of unconventional handles.

(I've never actually had a problem with rust, I spray all my tools, knives, experimental robotic children and whatnot with various corrosion preventative substances often enough, but I'm sure there's a brag-factor to be had with these magical H1 toys)

Yeah, the Caspian 2 Salt with the blunt tip.  I like the idea of being able to orient the knife in your hand without looking, like in the off chance my kayak upsets.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 01:18:16 PM
CRKT have a similar design in their Emergency/Rescue line.

If/When the time comes to replace one of my Marine use knives, I might consider one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%