Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OHT?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
OHT?
on: January 04, 2008, 07:16:06 AM
It could just be the appalling shopkeep quality in the tourist-trap hellhole I live in, but (in addition to knowing nothing about their current stock, and relying on their supplier's sales reps to just come in and restock the rotating Vic display every so often), none of the local Knifey stores can give me any information on Vics beyond what they have on the shelf, and even that is tentative.

To the crux - What's the story when the when and how for availability of the OHT? is it available in stores at all, or is it a special order item? (I don't want to, but I suppose I can undertake the hazing and get a SOSAK tattoo if it's necessary)

Locking blades such as the Rucksack and Picnicker are available, and there are plenty of Spideys and other One-hand-openers about, so I wouldn't think it to be a legal thing.

(Another item that seems magically missing from local shelves in the Vic Spirit.)

As I said, it could just be a fault of local economy, I live in a touristy zone, so most "knife" stores are in the form of Gift Shops and rely more on the Impulse buyer to flog their Multis and Folders, and the camping/outdoors stores seem to favour a few select models (Climbers and SuperTinkers come up most frequently)

While I'm rambling incessantly, I'd like a Soldier in 111mm, in either Blue or Black.

A OH Rucksack (in black or blue) wouldn't be of harm, as I have little reason to carry superfluous Phillips drivers.

Ah yes, and the SAK Selector does verily kick arse.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:18:14 AM by Nomad »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: OHT?
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:20:15 AM
As far as I know, the OHT should be as available as just about any other SAK as it's part of their "regular menu" items.  Many retailers may just stick with the more standard 91mm sizes, as most around here do, but there should be no reason not to have OHT's on sale, unless of course there's some kind of length or OH restriction.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:46:05 PM
If you can get an OHT in britain you should be able to get it anywhere :)

Here's a link to the Aussie Vic importers...

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=18&lang=E

It might be worth you having a word with them or droping them an email, to find out what the score is :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:43:55 PM
:climber: If all else fails, I can get both the OHT and Spirit for you no problem.
T

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 08:05:51 PM
Go on send Tim an email  ;)  You know you want one  :D

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:25:06 PM
Sosak 06, how I miss thee :cry:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:58 PM
I should really get me one of those.  I don't think any collection is complete without a OHT.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 05:45:49 PM
It could just be the appalling shopkeep quality in the tourist-trap hellhole I live in, but (in addition to knowing nothing about their current stock, and relying on their supplier's sales reps to just come in and restock the rotating Vic display every so often), none of the local Knifey stores can give me any information on Vics beyond what they have on the shelf, and even that is tentative.

Gotta agree with Nomad on that score. We have outdoor stores and camping stores and hunting stores up the wazoo around my area, but not once ever have I seen a Vic Spirit or a Vic OHT on the shelf. :(

EDIT: several years ago, one shop had a lone SwissTool in the case for many months, until I finally bought it. Nothing of the like ever since.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:52:59 PM
I'm happy if I find at shop that sells just 1 SAK or multitool over here.  Shops like those are not too common this side of the pond. :(
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 07:59:33 PM
I'm not sure the OHT is a std sale item in the UK . I'm sure its not , I've never seen one or one in a UK catalouge either .
    Was a bit shocked when I saw a Spirit in a shop over Christmas . It was £99 too  :o

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 08:03:08 PM
What shop was that mate?  Are there any good shops in the UK?
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 08:09:15 PM
What shop was that mate?  Are there any good shops in the UK?

It was a shop in Norwich called Gallyons . They are an outdoor and country shop . Think more of Barber Jackets and shooting sticks then extreme sports or anything , very much a gentlemans shop .Well they have a very nice range of knives and multitools and a guy behind the counter who is very helpfull . Were not talking anything like the guys in the states have but theres a few . Shame the prices are so high . Theres another shop just round the corner from them called Thorns and they are a hardware store but carry a range of Leatherman and Victorinox . Thinking about it theres about 5 shops in Norwich I know of that sell LMs and SAKs .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 08:12:34 PM
The only one's I know of are Blacks and Millets and all they stock are the most popular SAKS and the Leatherman Wave.  And again they are soooooooooooooooooooooo expensive.  :(
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 11:13:15 PM
EDIT: several years ago, one shop had a lone SwissTool in the case for many months, until I finally bought it. Nothing of the like ever since.

You practically did a public service! Letting it mingle with other multis.

Oddly enough, around here the cheapest place to buy SAKs is Mister Minit - a chain of Key-Cuttting, Shoe-Repair shops that also flog Zippo and hip Flasks, and other popular engravable things

King of Knives (http://www.kingofknives.com/online/index.php) - who you'd think would speSmurfpillse in the sorts of thing we discuss here have meager selections.
They have Gerber, but the only multi is a 400 Sport (I think). They have Wenger, but stick to the Smaller models (The ones that might make good impulse buys or gifts - go-go-Marketing!), a reasonable selection of Leatherman (which is of no interest to me whatsoever), and they've decided to discontinue Victorinox across the board.

However, either due to their hubris, or because of the costs of running a premium Knife store, and the associated security and standing stock investments, you always leave the store with a limp and a somewhat violated feeling.
(Their recent 20% discount on Swisstools brought them down to being only $30 more than what Mr Minit is charging for one. Bargain!)

(In all fairness, about 10 years ago, KoK was actually pretty good, and carried some awesome stuff, I don't know if there was a change of management or just market evolution, but they moved to speSmurfpillsing in Kitchen stuff and their "Sporting and outdoor" section became a high priced sideline thingo, likely now being an insignificant percentage of their sales)

Offline kreskin13

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 11:51:59 PM
Go on send Tim an email  ;)  You know you want one  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Dunc

That's one of the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I think I'm going to cry. :cry:

Calvin
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44