Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unknown Wenger

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Unknown Wenger
on: November 10, 2011, 02:41:21 AM
I recently picked up this 11 blade Wenger. It's similar to the Monarch (US)/Adventurer (UK) Wengers, but has a corkscrew rather than a phillips screwdriver. Anyone know the correct name for it? Failing that I guess it's a Monarch variant.

Karl
IMG_1129.JPG
* IMG_1129.JPG (Filesize: 91.02 KB)

us Offline MirrorEdge

Re: Unknown Wenger
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:07 AM
I can't help much because most of my knowledge is in victorinox SAKs
But I think it's maybe a wenger tool chest or champ  :think:
And I hope other folks will help you

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:52 AM
Champ

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:17:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. However the Tool Chest is a 12-blade knife that includes a pliers and wrench; the Champ is a 13-blade knife that includes a wrench and a phillips screwdriver on the top.

Karl

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:09 PM
I see yours doesn't have the wrench.

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:15:00 AM
How many layers it have  ???
If folks here couldn't help you try to look it in SAK wiki Or send a email to wenger to ask

BTW try to open ALL the tools in it then post another pic of it here ... Just in case you have forgotten to open them all

england Offline macabee

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:46:43 PM
Looks like the Wenger Champ to me :pok:
Wenger_Champ.jpg
* Wenger_Champ.jpg (Filesize: 51.63 KB)
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 05:05:21 PM
ColoSwiss, has already replied above on why he does not feel it is a Champ, and it applies to the image you posted as well.  While this is not to say it could not be an earlier one I guess, there are no formal examples presented yet.

ColoSwiss is new to MTO, but he is very knowledgeable about SAKs including most Wenger models.

england Offline macabee

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:56:12 PM
ColoSwiss, has already replied above on why he does not feel it is a Champ, and it applies to the image you posted as well.  While this is not to say it could not be an earlier one I guess, there are no formal examples presented yet.

ColoSwiss is new to MTO, but he is very knowledgeable about SAKs including most Wenger models.

As I stated previously it most certainly looks like my Wenger champ, even the wenger carton says 'Champ' the only difference is the absence of a key chain. BTW there is a wrench but it is a bit hidden behind the fish scaler, the Phillips is opposite the wrench
IMG_1781.jpg
* IMG_1781.jpg (Filesize: 63.27 KB)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:58:17 PM by macabee »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:51 PM
Are you awere you the people you are arguing with are the biggest SAK collectors around this parts? They know their SAKs. ICanFixThat runs the SAKWIKI you are refering too and ColoSwiss although new on the forum has a collection to start his own SAK museum. :) So if they say it's not a Champ, I believe them. :tu:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:21:11 PM
As I stated previously it most certainly looks like my Wenger champ, even the wenger carton says 'Champ' the only difference is the absence of a key chain. BTW there is a wrench but it is a bit hidden behind the fish scaler, the Phillips is opposite the wrench

While I don't think we are arguing, I just think that there is some mis-understanding.  The images you posted are of the Champ, BUT the image in the first message (by ColoSwiss) is thought not to be one precisely because it DOES NOT contain the Wrench and the Phillips. He has precisely defined the configuration as the Monarch with a corkscrew rather than a Phillips.

By the way if you made a photo of your Champ (keep the box in the picture as well) clearly showing the Wrench and the Phillips, it would be very welcome on SAKwiki since it does not have a good photo of the Wenger Champ, and I think it even needs a detail page.  Your photo would get this started.  Thanks.

ps... I don't run SAKwiki, that's Grant, but I've posted most of the content that I've collected from various sources, but not much of the Wenger content which StressMaster5000 was the most recent member to post a lot of Wenger Material.  I'm not an expert in Wenger knives, but I'm collecting information to improve that section of SAKWiki and reorganize it.  I would encourage anyone with verified information to add it to SAKwiki.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:41:28 PM
Sorry if I was missunderstood but english isn't my first language (it's more like fifth :) ). I know Grant owns sakwiki, sosak, edcsource and this place. By runs I ment posts the most descriptions, pictures, edits, ... Most of entries on sakwiki are eighter yours or Stressmasters and for that I am very greatfull.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 12:45:33 AM
To clarify: The photo I posted shows all of the tools, though the screwdriver/bottle opener is a bit obscured. That knife does not have the universal wrench and top-mounted phillips. I do appreciate the leads however, particularly  the Champ, as the only name I previously had for that model was Classic 28 (I have a black-handled one). I also have a Pointer, with the dog, which is basically a Champ with a lock. I do have a decent collection of SAKs; also four 3"-thick loose-leaf notebooks filled with SAK data. However I'm a long way from all-knowing. I occasionally threaten to do a SAK identification guide, but the fact is there are too many holes in both my collection and my knowledge (also it sounds like a lot of work and I'm getting lazy in my old age).

Karl

england Offline macabee

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 07:44:07 AM
Just to clarify, I was not attempting to argue, I just said it looked like a champ, as it does not have the wrench & phillips it obviously is not a champ.

I would like to post a picture of my wenger champ on sakwiki, however whilst I registered on the site, some time ago I am not allowed to logon?

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 10:05:39 AM
Send an email to wenger
swissamin@bluewin.ch
I think they could help you

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 02:53:22 PM
Just to clarify, I was not attempting to argue, I just said it looked like a champ, as it does not have the wrench & phillips it obviously is not a champ.

I would like to post a picture of my wenger champ on sakwiki, however whilst I registered on the site, some time ago I am not allowed to logon?
Yes, unfortunately since the new SAKwiki software has been installed the system admins have not been able to get new registrations working.  Please check if you just recieved an email to validate your registration, if you have not received an email to this affect, please send me a PM and I will use manual intervention, this is the only way right now that has been known to work.  I've been too busy to manually validate all the new registrations.   Thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%