Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If you could exchange a plier head on a multi, would you?

us Offline 82brutus

I often read on here and other places topics where people prefer plier heads to be needle nose or blunt nose or a compromise between the two.  Then, there is the wire and hard wire cutting, EOD, etc. 

If there was a multitool that allowed you to quickly exchange the plier head to suit your purposes, would you use that feature or would that just become an annoyance as it would be one more thing to carry around with you or leave at home and not have with you when you needed it most?

Martin
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: If you could exchange a plier head on a multi, would you?
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:13:41 PM
I guess I would if I got a smokin deal on say, a BO ST300 with the dedicated Cap crimpers in the plier head.  I don't understand why those are even offered to civilians, we just don't need them.  I guess it would be cool to be able to replace a broken or worn plier head as well, but that has been done already by SOG. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:17:06 PM
There was a tool like that- Gerber made one with interchangeable heads.  I believe it was the MP650 Evolution, and it failed miserably.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:53:51 PM
I think it would be just another thing that could get lost and make use of a tool more complicated.  I'd rather just carry a second tool.  I sort of already do that when I think I might be in a situation where one tool won't cover me.  For me, that's typically out on a camping trip with my wife and kids.  I live by the old mountaineering adage that "Two is one, one is none".  So when I'm out biking or hiking, and particularly when camping or backpacking, I always make sure I have at least two of every tool I consider to be essential, flashlight/headlamp, pocket knife, SAK, MT, etc.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:08:26 PM
There was a tool like that- Gerber made one with interchangeable heads.  I believe it was the MP650 Evolution, and it failed miserably.

Def

the Boss man beat me too it.  Never owned one myself and I'm not sure I'd want one (unless it was a bargain).

http://www.shop4gerber.co.uk/gerber_mp650evolution.html

I think the idea sounds more appealing than the actual practice might be. :-\  I can't say I'd want to carry an extra couple of heads around myself.  Though perhaps picking one for the day ahead might work.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:19:54 PM
To me, for whatever that's worth, this flies directly in the face of what a multitool is for.  It's a versatile tool that allows you to deal with whatever comes at you.  If you know what's going to happen you could just carry the right tool.  And, I mean dedicated tools as opposed to multitools.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:02:28 PM
i wouldn't carry interchangable plier heads. I would (and do) carry more than one multitool at times, both picked to compliment the capabilities of the other. Sometimes one tool doesn't cover the spectrum of task you may face, but a well chosen companion tool can and should massively increase your abilities

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:25:05 PM
Sometimes you just need two tools, too.  Maybe you need to hold a nut and the bolt you're threading it onto, or hold the work that a screw is in to keep it from twisting around while you turn the screw, and so on.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:09:40 PM
Sometimes you just need two tools, too.  Maybe you need to hold a nut and the bolt you're threading it onto, or hold the work that a screw is in to keep it from twisting around while you turn the screw, and so on.

Exactly.  That's why I usually carry a SAK as well, and sometimes an additional multitool.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 05:51:06 AM

Def

the Boss man beat me too it.  Never owned one myself and I'm not sure I'd want one (unless it was a bargain).

http://www.shop4gerber.co.uk/gerber_mp650evolution.html

I think the idea sounds more appealing than the actual practice might be. :-\  I can't say I'd want to carry an extra couple of heads around myself.  Though perhaps picking one for the day ahead might work.

Well that's interesting!!  I thought it seemed like it would be more trouble than it's worth, depending on how it was implemented.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware someone had tried it.!
Martin
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:16:59 AM by 82brutus »
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%