Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WENGER lettering on handle

se Offline kinskibrain

WENGER lettering on handle
on: November 15, 2011, 11:45:27 PM
Angry letter sent to Wenger.

Please forward letter to whomever it might concern.

Dear Wenger,

My first pocket knife was a Wenger. I recently bought an EvoGrip 18 and a Classic 14. I am very happy with their function and quality. Except for one thing which really makes me sad.

Too much branding

I love the way the Wenger insignia offsets itself with a slightly different red. It is really striking and looks really good.

However, I was very disappointed to see, and feel, that you now have the lettering "WENGER" in relief on the handle scale. Why? It does not look good and it only subtracts from the quality. It makes the scales feel tacky and tasteless. Design should be subtle, not vulgar. The offset insignia is more than enough to differentiate Wenger from Victorinox.

It already says "Wenger" together with the famous crossbow on the blade. It is more than enough.

I would like to hear a sound argument for having the WENGER relief on the handle. I demand an explanation, an excuse. I would also like to know if and when you are planning to remove it, because you can't possibly be serious. At least remove the lettering from the classic line. Atrocious. It is horribly tasteless.

Best Regards

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Re: WENGER lettering on handle
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:20:50 AM
my (work-issued) macbook has a glowing apple logo on the back.

I get what you're saying though, I too prefer things a bit more understated.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:07:04 PM
my (work-issued) macbook has a glowing apple logo on the back.

I get what you're saying though, I too prefer things a bit more understated.

You're missing the point. Apple are extremely good at balancing product and branding, and world leading in sober design. The apple is a universal symbol that anyone in the world can understand. My first encounter with that label was, just like Jobs, on The Beatles LP's.
Most PC laptops would be a better parallell to the cheap looking Wenger lettering, as they normally have their brand both on front and back in tacky chrome, with tacky stickers telling you it's got the latest "ZOOM 3000" processor, what OS it's running, etcetera.

Otherwise, were it not for the lettering, your reference to Apple is very well in place as the little red knife is equally iconic to any Swoosh shoes or iPod. The Wenger insignia perhaps even more so than Victorinox with it's more subtle, rounded square which is easier on the eyes compared to Vic's shield. The swiss Wenger cross also echoes the cross of a first aid kit in a brilliant way, both functionally and semiotically.

All people I know who are not into knives don't say "Victorinox" or "Wenger". They say "Swiss Army Knife". "Oh, great! You've got a swiss army knife". No matter what the actual brand is. 

I think it is generally a bad idea to have latin alphabetic characters on objects. For the same reason I think it's a bad idea to use cyrillic, hebrew, logographic or arabic alphabets on stuff.

Victorinox and Wenger both make the legendary swiss army knife. They are both the real thing and they both carry the Swiss cross. They are the only ones allowed to do so, and it's that cross together with the red paint that is so iconic. Diluting it with anything else is nothing but stupid. The only rational reason I can see is if Victorinox, now Wenger's owner, wants the icon connotation for themselves, so that in 30 years time we'll be separating the two by calling them "swiss army knife or Wenger".
A very sad development in my view, as I think the red knife with the square logo really is one of the most iconic and beautiful consumer objects there is.

p.s. Some might roll their eyes, but the reason I started this thread and pasted my letter is mainly for your entertainment. It's a forum right? :)
wenger.jpg
* wenger.jpg (Filesize: 27.93 KB)

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:13:41 PM
Does anybody know what year Wenger started with the lettering on the handle?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%