Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rediscovering Wenger

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Rediscovering Wenger
Reply #30 on: November 14, 2011, 11:06:59 PM
Sounds like you've happy. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline macabee

Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 09:59:03 AM
Just a note on quality personaly I think the early 80's wenger soldiers were much better knifes than the equivilent vic mainly down to the finish on the main blade

(Image removed from quote.)

Today I picked up a model 1908 wenger soldier and it is perfect also the use of Brass liners makes it look great (I think the fact it has spent the last 60 years or so in a case has helped it maintain its finish :) )

That is just magnificant
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 11:39:51 AM
I really prefer wenger's tweezers, scissors and main blade, and I love evogrip, but I just cannot use the can opener. Also no alox range! That's why they're 2nd best for me.

Quality-wise, I've seen differences in the past but we're talking about the difference between Victorinox's A+ and Wengers A-, it's not a serious thing, only if you compare directly with Vic. And I'm willing to believe they've addressed that now.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:18 PM
Sounds like you've happy. :tu:

Thanks Gareth, Yes I am very very happy about these Wenger knives. Anyone on this forum who does not own a Wenger Classic really should get one. There is something about the compactness of the Wenger together with that absolutely stunning logo, with an ever so slightly different shade of red (a manufacturers secret according to Wenger), and the lack of disturbing accessories on the outside make the Wenger visually much more pleasing than a Victorinox.

The relatively thin blade of the 85mm tool surprised me today. I spent some time on the Spyderco Sharpmaker at 30 degrees inclusive and then stropped the blade and the result was one of the sharpest knives I have ever experienced. I could cut hairs of my arm without touching the skin! I can easily slash and cut swirls in newsprint. The only other blade I have achieved the cutting hairs in air feat with is my Opinel. I also have or have owned Spyderco, Fallkniven, EKA and a bunch of Victorinox but this thin thin Wenger blade is sharper. It slices, sails through anything.

I'm not worried about it breaking since I never use a folding knife hard. I always carry good quality fixed blades if I am expecting serious cutting tasks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%