Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The pen and pencil thread

enki_ck · 302 · 40642

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
on: November 16, 2011, 04:49:58 AM
I've been thinking about what my most used EDC items are and came to the conclusion that that are my pens. Yes, in this modern, digital day and age I still write a lot by hand, every day. After a lot of pens I've tried I finally have a working setup that hasn't changed in years now. My most used is the Parker Vector SS rollerball. I've been using it for over 5 years now and have never had anything that writes so smoothly. It lives in my pencil case together with a Parker Classic mechanical pencil (great pencil, a bit slimmer than a Jotter and it never clogs, breaks leds), a Lamy Linea ballpoint (for writing on papers that the rollerball doesn't do so well, only downside, those M16 refills are expensive and hard to get around here), an old SS multipen (red, blue, green and black - I don't know the maker but it's a solid pen), a Staedtler permanent marker and an Uniball Signo red pen for correcting papers. That's my work pens. For regular EDC I have a Zebra telescopic pen clipped to my pocket and a Zebra T3 inside my wallet just in case.

A lot of pens, ha? (that's not counting the ones in my EDC organizer, I'll get to that later, with pics)

Well what are your most used or favorite pens? Pictures would be welcome.

Nikola
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:53:25 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:49:44 AM
Ive carried 1 pen for a few years... Its a stainless steel benchmade. I lose pens, but not this one (heavy) and it clips to my pocket as secure as a knife with clip.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Re: The pen and pencil thread
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:11:25 AM
I do a lot of writing out doors and in doors, I just carry a Pilot G-knock. Simple, cheap and gets the job done.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:08:10 AM
Nice idea... Maybe you should add notebook... Not everyone carry Moleskine or Rite In Rain... And PICS  :pok: :pok:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:23:16 PM
While not my favorite pen, it's the one I always have on me if I'm wearing a belt; I have an Inka pen attached to my Victorinox belt hanger; that, in conjunction with a homemade writing pad leaves me set for any writing and jotting needs. :tu:

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:19 PM
Pics  :pok: :pok:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:44:44 PM

My writing pad is just a single piece of printer paper folded over several times, stapled, and with the edges barely trimmed so as to get individual leafs. :P

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 02:49:01 PM
My pen EDC consists of :

1 circa 1980 Cross ballpoint (engraved)
2 circa 1987 Cross ballpoint (engraved)
3 Victorinox SAK pen

The first 2 were gifts.  For years I just kept them "for nice".  After my father died, I decided they were designed to be used, and by God I was going to enjoy using them

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:31 PM

My writing pad is just a single piece of printer paper folded over several times, stapled, and with the edges barely trimmed so as to get individual leafs. :P

Well we want to see haw did you fold and cut that paper....  :D :D :P :pok: :pok:

Are the edges aligned, did you use one,two or more staples, which size... A lot of things to see on folded paper!!  :D :D :D :P :P
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 03:06:39 PM
Big fan of Zebra, and have several of their stainless steel ones knocking around. In my mini EDC organiser I tend to keep a black Space Pen.

My "good" pen is a Waterman rollerball which was given to me as a present when I started university - I passed all my exams using it so I think it's magic :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 03:11:09 PM
Big fan of Zebra, and have several of their stainless steel ones knocking around. In my mini EDC organiser I tend to keep a black Space Pen.

My "good" pen is a Waterman rollerball which was given to me as a present when I started university - I passed all my exams using it so I think it's magic :D

Please loan that one to me...  :D :D :tu: :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:21 PM
With pens and lighters I don't tend to carry good stuff - too much maintenance and chance of loss or damage. I've normally just got a cheapo pen of sorts - whatever happens to be kicking around really. I do have others in place as back up though:

Inka Pen on Gadget Ring
Fisher Stowaway in Wallet
Rite-In-The-Rain pen in Mini EDC Organiser
Victorinox Manager on car keys
True Utility Tele-pen in Micro Tool Tin

These aren't carried all the time, but I do like to have at least one of these on hand (or close by) as a reserve option

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 03:56:47 PM
I use a black fisher bullet space pen and carry it often.  It's the best value for the $ and still writes after many years.
SAW

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 05:24:54 PM
I use a black fisher bullet space pen and carry it often.  It's the best value for the $ and still writes after many years.

My benchmade steel pen uses a space pen cartridge also. If my son didnt keep borrowing it to draw it would probably last years too.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 08:21:44 PM
This is what I have:

- zebra 701 modded w/fisher reffil
- zebra 701 modded w/pencil 0,5
- sharpie ss marker
- notebook ruled cheapo

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk
uploadfromtaptalk1321471282845.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1321471282845.jpg (Filesize: 26.25 KB)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 10:10:52 PM
Ok, here are my usual crappy pics.

and how they write from left to right

The Zebras that ride in my pocket(Telescopic-collapsed and extended) and wallet (T3), plus the Uniball for size reference.

The thing I like about the Zebras and the multipen is they all use the same refill (4-pack for $1.30 at my local pen and paper store) - The T3's opening was a bit narrow by a few microns but i fixed that with the SAK awl.

next to that I have a few pens and pencils in my EDC Organiser too.

Pilot Frixion Erasable rollerball, regular pen wrapped with thread for bindings documents, Zebra TS3 mechanical pencil, Schneider Base Ball (left)

Schneider Corry, no name backup red pen, pencil wrapped in Scotch tape, and duct tape. (right)

I wanted to get the Fisher Bullit for a long time until I discovered the Zebra telescopic pen. Never thuoght about it since. I think it tops it on a number of things. It has a solid pocketclip that won't fall of. It is very pocketable yet expands to full size in just a second, there is no cap to loose and the refills for it are a bargain and easily available. Sure, it doesn't write upside down, but that's no biggie for me  :D

As for notebooks, I use a cheap $0,20 notebook. It serves me well.

I tried the PocketMod and it's a great idea, but I haven't made a new one in a long time.
http://repocketmod.com/repm/en/

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 02:33:10 PM
I have had excellent service and luck with a Fisher Space Pen...I have been carrying one fro almost 9 years
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline CMUtuba

Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 05:34:56 PM
After reading way too much about pens, I have decided to get a fisher bullet. Now my only question is which finish is going to hold up better? I am looking at either the matte black, or the chrome finish. I honestly prefer the look of the black, but the pen is going to be in my pockets with keys and all sorts of goodies to make it look ugly in no time. Has anyone noticed one finish lasting longer than the others? Thanks!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 05:44:50 PM
I have the Chrome Finish...After 9 Years in my pocket it has seen it's better days in the Finish Dept...but still as serviceable as the day I purchased her in a Pilot Truckstop the first day I started as a Driver Trainee at Swift Transportation!
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 06:39:55 PM
I use a fisher bullet pen black and a modded zebra m-701 shorty. I love em both.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 11:32:34 PM
I have a couple of new writing implements thanks to that fat bloke in red who rides reindeers  :tu:

First up ...

... the Messograph by Cleo Skribent (not my pic - obviously)

Well this pen truly belongs here at MTO, not only can you scribble on stuff, but the clip acts a vernier caliper using the rule stamped in the barrel of the pen, a tyre depth guage using a seperate scale near the nib, and a ... errmmm ... pocket clip  :tu: There's also a reference chart on the back on the pen which gives tapping drill sizes for metric threads from M2 to M20.

The caliper seems quite useful despite the small jaws, and opens to almost 3.1/2" (88.5mm to be precise). The readout on the metric scale is to 0.1mm, but I haven't had chance to test the accuracy on this yet. The Imperial rule doen't have a vernier scale, and just reads in 1/16ths. As for the pen functions, it writes perfectly fine but the ergonomics are utterly horrible. The rhomboid cross section and high sheen finish make it quite difficult to grip and use - well for me anyway. Maybe I just haven't found a grip that works well for me yet  :think:

As a back up pen / tool for a organiser kit or glove compartment, I think this is a very novel and interesting item which would be perfectly fine for occasional use. For everyday use - find something else. Mine is definitely heading for the car kit  :tu:

Next up ...

... the Tombow Airpress (nope, not my pic either)

This is a kind of "space pen" alternative which doesn't use pressurised cartridges. Instead the action of deploying and retracting the nib actually pressurises the refi - each click apparently pressurising the pen for 150m of writing. Clever, eh? Seems to work quite well too, but in real terms I haven't got a clue what 150m of writing equates to ... never mind, if the ink flow falters, two clicks and you're back up and running again.

The grip is quite chunky on this - chunkier than I'm used to and again feels a little awkward at this stage. This pen isn't slippy though and stays in your grip quite well. The clip on this is very nice in that it lifts quite far away from the body of the pen. Sometimes you can end up straining the clip on a pen on some pockets - not with this clip though. It does sacrifice a little in the way of clip strength for this, but I think it would be secure enough for most people. There's also an eyelet for people who like their pens on lanyards. This one is destined for the EDC bag alongside the Vic Swisstool and all the other goodies that come to the rescue when "normal stuff" fails  ;)

I'm very happy with both these items. Neither of them are EDC material for me - but I'm very happy to own them, and they'll be playing a part in my overall kit for certain  :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 09:57:18 PM

At about 25p - 40p each (depending on where you get them)I've found these zebra pencils impressive. They look like wooden pencils but are actually mechanical.

Some of the designs are a bit loud (there are 2 plain ones per pack of 10 in the ones I've bought)  but at the price they're great value. I think the plain ones are sold as the Zebra Number 2 in some countries.

My local branch of Wilko sells them  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:08:26 PM by Craig »
Prone to daydreaming.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:18 PM
I have a couple of new writing implements thanks to that fat bloke in red who rides reindeers  :tu:

First up ...

(Image removed from quote.)

Well this pen truly belongs here at MTO, not only can you scribble on stuff, but the clip acts a vernier caliper using the rule stamped in the barrel of the pen, a tyre depth guage using a seperate scale near the nib, and a ... errmmm ... pocket clip  :tu: There's also a reference chart on the back on the pen which gives tapping drill sizes for metric threads from M2 to M20.

The caliper seems quite useful despite the small jaws, and opens to almost 3.1/2" (88.5mm to be precise). The readout on the metric scale is to 0.1mm, but I haven't had chance to test the accuracy on this yet. The Imperial rule doen't have a vernier scale, and just reads in 1/16ths. As for the pen functions, it writes perfectly fine but the ergonomics are utterly horrible. The rhomboid cross section and high sheen finish make it quite difficult to grip and use - well for me anyway. Maybe I just haven't found a grip that works well for me yet  :think:

As a back up pen / tool for a organiser kit or glove compartment, I think this is a very novel and interesting item which would be perfectly fine for occasional use. For everyday use - find something else. Mine is definitely heading for the car kit  :tu:

Next up ...

This is a kind of "space pen" alternative which doesn't use pressurised cartridges. Instead the action of deploying and retracting the nib actually pressurises the refi - each click apparently pressurising the pen for 150m of writing. Clever, eh? Seems to work quite well too, but in real terms I haven't got a clue what 150m of writing equates to ... never mind, if the ink flow falters, two clicks and you're back up and running again.

The grip is quite chunky on this - chunkier than I'm used to and again feels a little awkward at this stage. This pen isn't slippy though and stays in your grip quite well. The clip on this is very nice in that it lifts quite far away from the body of the pen. Sometimes you can end up straining the clip on a pen on some pockets - not with this clip though. It does sacrifice a little in the way of clip strength for this, but I think it would be secure enough for most people. There's also an eyelet for people who like their pens on lanyards. This one is destined for the EDC bag alongside the Vic Swisstool and all the other goodies that come to the rescue when "normal stuff" fails  ;)

I'm very happy with both these items. Neither of them are EDC material for me - but I'm very happy to own them, and they'll be playing a part in my overall kit for certain  :D :D

Al you will have to let us know what you think about the airpress as they seem a bargain, HH have them as i was looking this am, im not really into pens but use one a lot at work but tend to use cheapes as they get lost a lot or pinched  :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:38 PM
After reading way too much about pens, I have decided to get a fisher bullet. Now my only question is which finish is going to hold up better? I am looking at either the matte black, or the chrome finish. I honestly prefer the look of the black, but the pen is going to be in my pockets with keys and all sorts of goodies to make it look ugly in no time. Has anyone noticed one finish lasting longer than the others? Thanks!

I've had a mat black one for a good while now - not a mark on it. I prefer the matt for it's grippiness.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 04:47:06 PM

First up ...

Next up ...

I like that "multi" pen. Mmm they make it in black, and sell in the US?
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 02:24:14 PM
I have lots of Zebra pens, they are my favorites by far. F 301, G 301, F701, F301 compact, and mechanical pencils.

I even like my Kaweco Sport fountain pen, es well as amy Pilot Petit 1 fountain pens.

In my office we have Pentel EnerGel pens. Great for office work as they are good and cheap enough to lend them to clients and coworkers.

I always have a stainless steel Sharpie in my workbag for flipcharts and presentations, but it does not see much use, as I hardly ever have to do that kind of stuff.

edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline BenH

Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:23 AM

First up ...

<snip>

Next up ...

<snip>

Al you will have to let us know what you think about the airpress as they seem a bargain, HH have them as i was looking this am, im not really into pens but use one a lot at work but tend to use cheapes as they get lost a lot or pinched  :D

I've got a Messograf not six inches from my left elbow :) They're neat things, nice and weighty and pretty useful. I used the calipers to measure some parts when I was building a bike and found them pretty spot on to 0.1mm. Their usefulness is slightly limited by their short jaws, but hey - it's also a pen. I wish it had a stronger spring, or a twist action because I can't keep it in a trouser pocket because it opens itself, which is a bit annoying. I also wish Schmidt would sell their mechanical pencil internals to the public because they are designed to fit the same space as a Parker refill, and I'd prefer this as a pencil, but they only seem to sell them to penmakers.

I also firmly believe that all gadget fans who write regularly should try a Sheaffer Snorkel - I've had one for about a year now and it writes better than anything I've tried (Parker 51 level easily), and has an entirely madcap filling system with an extendy tubey bit that sucks up ink.

Diagram:

Photo:

Snorkel + Noodler's Bulletproof Black = perfection

Ben

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 09:41:04 PM
I can't believe I didn't see this thread before!

As an academic, I do a LOT of writing... particularly in red!!!   :rofl:

So, I'm awfully picky about my writing instruments. 

That said, I've found that the best solution for me is a quality disposable.  By far, I prefer Uni-Ball "Signo" pens, with the micro tip.  My handwriting is small and they're the only super-finepoint pen I've ever tried that doesn't gum up at the tip, leaving little globs of ink behind, and is fine point enough for my writing.  I've tried expensive and custom made high-end pens, but none of them so far have been as good as the Signos I've come to love.

I'm teaching at a small liberal arts college now, and have small classes, but when I was teaching at the University of California, and had much larger class sizes, I used to have to buy red pens by the box...  I would literally go through a box of a dozen red pens each school year.   Even if there was something like a high end Fisher or Parker that had the writing characteristics that work for me, I'd never be able to keep up with all the refills I'd go through.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 10:03:33 PM
For the last year or so I've been carrying a parker IM and a uniball pen. As for pencils I carry a mechanical zebra.

I have 2 fisher bullets on the way so I'm looking forward to carrying those. I got one in desert tan and one in black.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 10:59:42 PM

As an academic, I do a LOT of writing... particularly in red!!!   :rofl:

...  By far, I prefer Uni-Ball "Signo" pens, with the micro tip.  ...

:D  Different continents, similar jobs,  same tastes in RED.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:03:00 PM by enki_ck »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24