Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micro EDC toolkit for engineers

de Offline thom53281

Micro EDC toolkit for engineers
on: March 25, 2023, 12:47:16 PM
Hello everyone!

A few months ago I found some videos on Youtube showing very small toolkits. I loved the idea of having such a kit, but a lot of them were more into survival or had tools that i would never ever use. Also there were often tools as doubles which was a lot of wasted space. I found a few threads here, but most of them were nearly ten years old. So I think in the year 2023 there are some new ideas for micro toolkits.

So I am starting this thread with my own thoughts and ideas and hope to collect a lot of them. :)

I wanted a toolkit to do some really basic stuff in an engineering standpoint, but as small as possible so I can just grab an carry it with me in case I suspect to need tools. So I started building my own one in addition to the tools I already have as EDC in my pocket. You may see here some items that are not that common in such kits - at least till now.  :whistle:

To understand the items I put into it, you first have to know what I always carry on a daily base. It is the multitool I presented here a while ago and a ratcheting bit screwdriver. The multitool contains a lot of functionality including the wrench. The bit screwdriver has this bits:

• Two sizes of flat
  • PZ1 (can screw a lot of Philips as well without problems)
  • T20 (can also screw T25 when not too much torque needed)
  • Socket adaptor with 10mm socket

So there is no need for a wrench, a knife and a big bit screwdriver. Also carrying a smartphone so there is no need for a dedicated flashlight. Those are items present in most of the kits I saw and they are just redundant for me wasting space. I already carry those in my pockets as EDC.

But now, the kit. It is a simple and cheap camera bag from Hama which I bought at about 2€. A lot of videos I watched have very pricy tools included. My tools are more cheap and cheerful. In case I loose the bag, I don't want to loose that much money. The size is about double a regular computer mouse. The weight is about 480g (17oz). It can fit onto my belt, into a jacket or even into the side pockets of my work pants (not worse than a big wrench).

The bag is completely stuffed with tools. Everything rests tight in its place, as long you just remove one item you need.

Now have a look at the items.

The top half is in the front pocket of the bag. From left to right:

• Zip ties
  • Hot glue with electrical tape
  • Wago 221 connectors
  • Wire 1,5mm² solid
  • Solder

Those things are mostly for just fixing something electrical that is broken. Destroyed the cable of your device? Use the Wagos and tape to quickly put it together and continue work. Also you can use the solder and the lighter to put wires back together or make stranded wires suitable for screw terminals. This is not the right way of doing it. But in case you have nothing else there, you can do it and fix it afterwards right, but continue your work. The hot glue also works in combination with the lighter.

Bottom half from left to right:

• 1 Meter tape measure with integrated level
  • UNI-T UT120B pocket multimeter
  • Bit kit including hex bits up to 6mm
  • Lighter
  • 1/4" bit extender with 1/4" adaptor for sockets and an 8mm socket
  • 1/4" socket extension with 13mm socket
  • Bit ratchet with 8mm wrench on the other side
  • 8mm allen wrench
  • Bit screwdriver for 4mm precision bits

The bits in the bit holder I put upside down to save some space. The sockets and the extensions are combined that way I wrote so there is nothing flying around in the bag. There is no complete socket set. In Germany you need for smaller nuts and bolts at 95% of the time only three sockets: 8mm, 10mm and 13mm. 10mm is missing because it is already in my EDC screwdriver and I wanted no doubles. As long something is not from US, Japan or just uses very specific bolts and nuts, you are fine with this setup. In case I need a missing size, I can try the adjustable wrench.

The ratchet is from Lux Tools, but also sold for example under the brand Bosch Promoline and other brands. The 8mm on the other side is very handy. Not only you have an 8mm boxed wrench for tight spaces. You can use an 8mm allen wrench as a cheater bar. The allen wrench also adds up the biggest size to the bits. Here is the comlete ratchet setup.

Things I am thinking about adding in the future:

• Side cutters (Pliers and scissors on the multitool work most of the time, but sometimes you need them)
  • Mini Prybar
  • USB drive

Sadly the toolbag is full already, so addings those tools is problematic. To do it, I need to go one size bigger. Only the USB can be added without problems and I will do it in near future. It will be at least 32GB containing Easy2Boot with some useful Live Linux Distributions and some other handy files and also could be used to share files.

How do your micro toolkits look like? Thinking about going one size bigger and adding a few more tools, so collecting a few more ideas would be nice.  :gimme:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Micro EDC toolkit for engineers
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 03:03:21 PM
Little kits like this are always so cool. Even better to see a non-survival one. :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 05:59:59 PM
Nice looking kit, thom53281,  I like the use of the small camera bag.  You might be able to find a little larger bag at a thrift store, for next to nothing.  I'm always finding odd bags, new or nearly new, for next to nothing.
My only venture into a "Micro" type tool kit is my assortment of 4 inch wrenches and pliers that I just sort of accumulated.  My bag is an old small leather purse that reminded me of an old tool bag.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

de Offline thom53281

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 08:13:53 PM
I know already where to buy a bigger camera bag. The store that sold me my bag has a slightly bigger version too. Mine has the dimensions 60x30x110mm, the next size bigger is 75x45x125. Will buy it the next time I get there.

They also have a hardcase version of it in size between the two, but it sadly lacks the front pocket.

de Offline thom53281

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 11:37:20 AM
The last months my kit evolved more. I first tried the next size camera bag, but was not happy with it. It was so bulky and instead to the smaller size bag, the tools had no real spot to fit. There was only chaos.

But luckily, I went into the basement of our house (for some other reason) and just found the right bag laying around, not knowing that I have it. It is more like the Maxpedition organizers, but was completely empty. So I decided to use some old jeans fabric to make some dividers. This is how it looks now.

First, the toolkit compared to the older bag:

Right now I would no longer call this a micro toolkit. It looks like double the size now. But just by feel in the hand, it is not that much bulkier. So I am happy with that.

I added more items I missed in the smaller kit. This is the items right now:

From top left to bottom right (new items are green):

• Little container with USB drive (Easy2boot, Live-Linux), Wago, solder, sanding paper, wire solid 1,5mm²
  • UNI-T UT120B pocket multimeter
  • Lighter
  • Pair of tweezers
  • 1 Meter tape measure with integrated level
  • Zip ties (only one left, I must refill)
  • Hot glue with electrical tape
  • 8mm allen wrench
  • Bit ratchet with 8mm wrench on the other side
  • 1/4" socket extension with 13mm socket
  • 1/4" bit extender with 1/4" adaptor for sockets and an 8mm socket
  • Bit kit including hex bits up to 6mm
  • Drill welded onto some old torx bit*
  • Small slotted screwdriver with magnet on the other side (to fish things out)
  • Bit screwdriver for 4mm precision bits with bits on the inside
  • Waterproof marker (missed that a lot)
  • Pair of side cutters held together with a rubber band

* Needed that for some special application. I know you can just buy something like that, but didn't have it, when I needed it. So I made one. After that I thought, this could be useful in the kit, but didn't need it yet.

Like in the first post, the tools in the kit integrate to my EDC in my pockets. Still missing is a mini prybar. But in this design, the kit is very useful and till now, it already rescued me a lot of times. For example, when I realized that my big toolbox had no T30 bit when I needed one. But my kit had one.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%