Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's build a Minimalist EDC! 748

Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,217
Re: Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
The pen I like is my Zebra 701.  Its a sturdy pen and is still on the Zebra .7mm cartridge.  I've carried G2s and really like how they write.  I carry a Maxpedition 3.5 note book cover for work.  I like to write notes and transfer them to my phone and later sync with my computer.  My Zebra 701 has rode in the notebook since 2012.  I have no issues or failures with that pen.  I use a cheap Wally World note book tho then pen works just was well on everything I've written on. 

Fisher pen cartridge.  I got a knock off and a real bullet pen.  My Fisher cartridge sucked.  I may have got a dud but my dud leaked and was gloppy when I wrote.  I was told to send it in but honestly I just threw it in the trash.  I replaced it with a Zebra .7mm insert and its good to go.  The knock off had some basic insert that was fine.  A simple stick ink pen insert that comes with darn near every cheap pen out.  Once it ran out I inserted a Zebra .7mm cartridge and its good to go.  I like the small form factor of the Bullets BUT I carry my Manager so I really never worry if I remember to carry a pen.  The Manager writes and when I need a pen its serves me well enough. 

I also use Zebra 301 and Pilot Precise V7 for note pads I use around the house i.e. grocery lists, to do's, random things .  Lastly, I like plus scales on my SAKs.  Having a pen on my SAK means I am rarely without something to write with.  No its not the best writing or perfect pen tho it good and I would prefer to have a pen than not have one.  Its super easy to carry and super convenient if you carry a SAK.         

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
Wallets.  I carried a simple leather wallet for years ( 10 plus ).  I cannot recall when or where I got it or how much I paid for it.  I got a new wallet one year so I switched out my things from the old one to the new one.  I carried the new wallet for years ( 10 plus ) till I wanted to try a thinner wallet.  I don't know where the old wallet is but I still have the new one.   I got a Wenger wallet used so I tried it for a bit.  Its good but I dislike is the plastic id window thing.  They seem to be the weakest link.  I don't need it since you'll always have to remove your id anyway.  The Wenger wallet is ok but IMO both the old and new wallet are better.   

All the wallets I mentioned are bifold.  All are leather.  I don't carry many cards, actually I carry 2 debit cards.  I carry cash up to about 20 bills.  Rarely large bills but I like to pay in cash when I can.  I carry a few photos of my kids.  I carry my id and insurance card.  I don't like the metal wallets nor the newer really neat options now a days.  I like leather.  I love the look of a well worn wallet.  I also carry my wallet in my front pocket every since I've carried a wallet. 

I am currently trying out a Tumi Key wallet.  I've taken out the key thingies and attached the carabiner to a chain which I suspend from my belt.  Over the years I realized I like my wallet tethered to me.  Not so much for theft prevention moreso for absent mindedness on my part.  I keep the chain short so it doesn't dangle like the trucker/biker wallets.  So far its "ok".       

Esse Quam Videri
Sr. Member Posts: 487
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »
If we're going with the Pulse as the large MT, then I move we select the Manager over the P4 as the small MT, since the tool set better complements the Pulse.

With regard to wallets, it may not be minimalist, but I've carried one of these for many years, and it's still going strong:  https://www.foxcreekleather.com/leather-credit-card-wallet/

Finally, while I don't consider a pen to be a required part of a truly minimalist EDC (especially if we already have the Manager), I have two that I like and sometimes carry:
- Fisher Bullet - I prefer this one:  https://www.spacepen.com/goldtitaniumnitridebulletpen.aspx
- Parker Jotter - also takes standard Fisher refills, and I prefer this one:  http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/shop-online/jotter-stainless-steel-retractable-ballpoint-pen-with-gold-trim-medium-point-1953182--1

I agree that an additional pen might not be needed while carrying the manager, but if someone wanted to carry the pulse only, then they would have need for an additional pen. In the end we might come up with a true minimalist EDC, without the extra pen and the manager only, and then a bit more extended minimalist EDC with some personal preferences. Will see where this goes  :tu:

Some nice pens there  :like:
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Aloha!

I have heard lot of good things about the Zebra pens whenever i looked into EDC, so i might have to try one myself  :tu:

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »
 :salute:  They might not get the attention from the "nicer" pens out there but in the years I've had mine they've been flawless.   The 701 IMO also looks great. 

Esse Quam Videri
Full Member Posts: 188
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2019, 11:17:15 PM »
The biggest issue I have with most small pens is they tend to be two pieces, I would love if they made a fisher pen about the same size as it collapsed with a push button. I

I just love the Manager, especially when i learned how to hold it properly (with the file extended).

Because I have been so satisfied with that tool I base my other tool choices around it.

I really think the Leatherman Crunch is probably the best complement to the manager. It has a true plier capable of adjusting any size nut up to 1" and it has a FULL 1/4 inch bit driver which makes it's functionality explode. The other reason I suggest the crunch is that it has a Serrated blade which makes sense when you also carry a dedicated knife.

As for wallet..I have the Anti-gear solo wallet sitting in my locked mailbox right now grr...Can't wait till wife gets home with the key. Its basically the modular wallet of my dreams lol.

Cheers,
H.G.
No Life Club Posts: 2,030 Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2019, 12:35:31 AM »
I slimmed down to a front pocket wallet some time last year, and never looked back.
I posted this pic elsewhere before, but it fits to post it here.

It fits a Swiss Card Lite perfect  :)
(And it contains an emergency minimal pen!)

I prefer a normal sized pen if I need to write. Parker pens, like a Jotter or a Vector rollerball are great basic options. I do have an Inventery M bolt action pen, and prefer it over the Parkers. But my favorites pens are old Rotring pens. I recently came in possession of this one, and it's my current favorite.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42
Full Member Posts: 188
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 01:50:39 AM »
I slimmed down to a front pocket wallet some time last year, and never looked back.
I posted this pic elsewhere before, but it fits to post it here.
(Image removed from quote.)
It fits a Swiss Card Lite perfect  :)
(And it contains an emergency minimal pen!)

I prefer a normal sized pen if I need to write. Parker pens, like a Jotter or a Vector rollerball are great basic options. I do have an Inventery M bolt action pen, and prefer it over the Parkers. But my favorites pens are old Rotring pens. I recently came in possession of this one, and it's my current favorite.
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks sweet, I tried something similar as well, but I still ended up having to carry a pen..and a flashlight separately. I eventually made myself a wallet that fit my needs but really looking forward to the wallet that I am getting tomorrow. Cant wait to show u guys, very different.
Hero Member Posts: 981
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:27 AM »
That looks sweet, I tried something similar as well, but I still ended up having to carry a pen..and a flashlight separately. I eventually made myself a wallet that fit my needs but really looking forward to the wallet that I am getting tomorrow. Cant wait to show u guys, very different.

:popcorn:
Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 30,885 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
My favourite pens to carry are either a Paper Mate Flex Grip;

or a good old Parker Jotter.

« Reply #60 on: Today at 04:40:02 AM »
Nice pens all  :tu:

I am not a big fan of push button pens though. For some reason i always click them while in my pocket and then „write“ on my pants when retrieving it from the pocket. So i normally use twist mechanism or the once with a screw–on cap.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $263.00
PayPal Fees: $16.03
Net Balance: $246.97
Below Goal: $53.03
Site Currency: USD
82%