Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The pen and pencil thread

enki_ck · 307 · 41836

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: The pen and pencil thread
Reply #240 on: September 09, 2022, 03:52:27 PM
Oooh my, I'm so in awe with this things; this is my third one in a month's time!!!
Kaweco Al Sport in Anthracite, with DLC coated "F" nib and black Sport N clip. It is cartridge fed and inked with Noodler's Baystate Blue.

Not shown are the extra nib/feed sections in "EF", "F", "M", and "B"; all chrome steel (but soon to have DLC coated ones in "EF", "F" and "M").

20220909_004122_copy_794x792.jpg
* 20220909_004122_copy_794x792.jpg (Filesize: 497.41 KB)

(These pens are becoming such a rabbit's hole!!! ...  :facepalm: :whistle: :rofl:)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #241 on: January 18, 2023, 04:53:16 PM
Something to make you go  :drool: and  :gimme:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #242 on: January 18, 2023, 05:40:49 PM
Something to make you go  :drool: and  :gimme:

Yeah, I know ... 😁
20230118_123533_copy_789x1087.jpg
* 20230118_123533_copy_789x1087.jpg (Filesize: 441.29 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #243 on: January 18, 2023, 11:04:25 PM
 :D
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #244 on: January 19, 2023, 07:54:20 AM
Always carry these in my bag.
A random notebook and a pen case with a Parker Vector Fountain Pen and a Parker Jotter.
(And my Ray-Ban Rounded Metal Reading Glasses, or else writing would be a lot more difficult )

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #245 on: January 19, 2023, 08:36:38 AM
My favorite pen is the Big Idea Design Bolt Pen.  In addition to being very comfortable to write with, it accept lots of different ink refills.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #246 on: February 14, 2023, 03:31:03 AM
Here's my newest EDC, a Kaweco Al Sport in Deep Red with an "M" nib; lovely! (Sorry, Altis ...   :whistle: :facepalm:)
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Still have my eye on a brass Sport.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #247 on: February 18, 2023, 03:40:48 PM
So after letting the Metro sit fit a week or two after not letting the water dry out before adding ink I am happy to say it sorted itself out.

Am I the only one who can’t wait to try out all the different ink types and colors? Have my blue black ink ready and waiting now.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #248 on: February 18, 2023, 04:46:23 PM
I enjoy using non standard color inks.  When in the fountain pen challenge I used purple and green.  When I'm in professional writing mode I only use blue.  I try to choose a lighter shade so its not confused with black.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #249 on: February 19, 2023, 10:07:58 PM
I enjoy using non standard color inks.  When in the fountain pen challenge I used purple and green.  When I'm in professional writing mode I only use blue.  I try to choose a lighter shade so its not confused with black.   

For most of my adult life black was the only option so am pretty dang sick of it.

Personally blue makes me happy.

• No Life Club
Reply #250 on: February 21, 2023, 10:58:27 PM
So after letting the Metro sit fit a week or two after not letting the water dry out before adding ink I am happy to say it sorted itself out.

Am I the only one who can’t wait to try out all the different ink types and colors? Have my blue black ink ready and waiting now.

(Image removed from quote.)

Glad it sorted out, and nice looking Metropolitan! :tu: What nib size is it!? I ask 'cause on your sample kind of look like a <CM> ( medium italic), and I really like it!!!

May I interest you in Noodler's Baystate Blue!?!?! A highly saturated, cobalt blue-like ink; just awesome ( and do be afraid of its "horror" stories. My Metro/MR and one of my Kaweco Liliputs are currrently inked with it and they're flawless; you do need to be mindful when refilling as it does stain anything porous and /or organic). :pok: :pok: :pok:

• No Life Club
Reply #251 on: February 21, 2023, 11:03:03 PM
And no you're not the only one who likes testing new inks; that's why I like Kaweco's mini converter and international short cartridges, as they are quick to be emptied so I can refill with other colors or other inks! :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #252 on: February 23, 2023, 02:06:37 PM
Well, a bunch of smurfing enablers made me get this:

Awlready showing some wear/patina. Maybe 'cause I've been carrying it every day and using it as a fidget toy...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #253 on: February 23, 2023, 03:57:27 PM
Excellent acquisition, not only in beauty but also in function.

(Enjoy your new rabbit's hole ... )

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #254 on: February 23, 2023, 04:59:31 PM
 :iagree:

Also a great conversation piece.  Years of enjoyment.  What color ink are you using?
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #255 on: February 23, 2023, 05:43:23 PM
Excellent acquisition, not only in beauty but also in function.

(Enjoy your new rabbit's hole ... )

Oh, I've been down here for some time. The hole just got bigger, now...

Show content
I'm soooo going to regret having said that...

:iagree:

Also a great conversation piece.  Years of enjoyment.  What color ink are you using?
Right now, the traditional blue that came with it. I've seen more options, for Kaweco and Parker. I might try some green, brown or purple. This unusual pen deserves an unusual ink, too.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #256 on: February 23, 2023, 06:05:14 PM
Oh, I've been down here for some time. The hole just got bigger, now...

Show content
I'm soooo going to regret having said that...

Right now, the traditional blue that came with it. I've seen more options, for Kaweco and Parker. I might try some green, brown or purple. This unusual pen deserves an unusual ink, too.

8) 8)

Naaah, no regrets... (at least that's what what I tell myself ...)

Remember that you're one syringe with blunt needle/pipette away from really unusual inks; one good rinse of that ol' cartridge and an ear bulb flush to the nib and you'll be ready for shimmering, shading, color changing inks galore!

Is your nib a BB, B, M, or itallic? I ask because these sizes allow to show better these characteristics.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #257 on: February 23, 2023, 07:14:22 PM

Naaah, no regrets... (at least that's what what I tell myself ...)

Remember that you're one syringe with blunt needle/pipette away from really unusual inks; one good rinse of that ol' cartridge and an ear bulb flush to the nib and you'll be ready for shimmering, shading, color changing inks galore!

Is your nib a BB, B, M, or itallic? I ask because these sizes allow to show better these characteristics.

It's an F. I awlready bought a syringe at a pharmacy. Not a blunt needle, but I think it'll work just fine. I have a Parker blue ink bottle, it's nearly empty. I'll be using the needle on it and see how it goes.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #258 on: February 23, 2023, 08:34:46 PM
Good on you then; I blunted mine on sandpaper for safety but yes, it worked fine before that. I prefer western <F> nibs for everyday use (although I'm being attracted by japanese/Pilot <F> nibs recently); my <M>,<B>, <BB> and <italics> are more for general around the house use, or when feeling poetic/romantic/researcher/novelist... :facepalm:

Love Parker Qwink blue but, since its washable, I no longer use it. My go to inks are Noodler's Baystate Blue and Polar Blue and, Pilot/Namiki blue.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #259 on: February 23, 2023, 10:21:03 PM
I've also got the Brass Sport, Inks I use in it are made by Diamine (don't know how available that is where you are). Predominantly Ancient Copper, Ox-Blood and Grape. I really like the grape, as it's so dark that it will almost pass for dark blue or black. But when you see it in good light, it's astonishing.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• No Life Club
Reply #260 on: February 23, 2023, 10:35:23 PM
Also a big fan of Oxblood; my next Diamine will be either Ancient Copper or Writer's Blood! Sadly, because of its "washability", its my "poetic/romantic/researcher/novelist" ink so, it will be awhile before gettin' my next Diamine bottle.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #261 on: February 24, 2023, 02:17:37 AM
Glad it sorted out, and nice looking Metropolitan! :tu: What nib size is it!? I ask 'cause on your sample kind of look like a <CM> ( medium italic), and I really like it!!!

May I interest you in Noodler's Baystate Blue!?!?! A highly saturated, cobalt blue-like ink; just awesome ( and do be afraid of its "horror" stories. My Metro/MR and one of my Kaweco Liliputs are currrently inked with it and they're flawless; you do need to be mindful when refilling as it does stain anything porous and /or organic). :pok: :pok: :pok:

It’s a regular M nib. Kind wish I went with a Fine even though I am usually a fan of thicker point pens.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #262 on: February 24, 2023, 02:19:09 AM
Well, a bunch of smurfing enablers made me get this:

Awlready showing some wear/patina. Maybe 'cause I've been carrying it every day and using it as a fidget toy...

Yeah gonna need one of these.

Do you own any Skinth Sheaths? Curious if it would fit in the side pocket.

• No Life Club
Reply #263 on: February 24, 2023, 03:50:59 AM
"( and do not be afraid of its "horror" stories. My Metro/MR and one of my Kaweco Liliputs are currrently inked with it and they're flawless; you do need to be mindful when refilling as it does stain anything porous and /or organic)".

I'm sooo sorry, everyone; should've read DO NOT"!!!! :facepalm: :dunno: :facepalm: :dunno:

And thank you, Harley, for letting me know it is an <M> nib!. :hatsoff: :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #264 on: February 24, 2023, 04:27:28 AM
A Kaweco Classic Sport set in green, joins the collection:

20230223_230632_copy_1015x761.jpg
* 20230223_230632_copy_1015x761.jpg (Filesize: 500.88 KB)

20230223_230814_copy_992x746.jpg
* 20230223_230814_copy_992x746.jpg (Filesize: 495.66 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: The pen and pencil thread,
Reply #265 on: February 26, 2023, 05:55:46 AM
Ok guys I need a brainstorm, I’ll throw you what I’m after and let’s see what you come up with?
I have three pens, an Inka, a Pokka, and a fisher bullet, like all three each has its advantages but at the same time each has its disadvantages.. I need a pen or pencil for everyday carry, I will have a mini notebook on me at all times so something quick and easy, and preferably one that is small but can be made full size quickly in the three above the Pokka pretty much flips the bill, light, simple, cheap, and can refill pretty much with any bic! Now I used to have a few bullet pencils but they grew legs and walked, so an advantage with pencil is they don’t leak or clog, but they always need sharpening, normally 99% of the time I have a knife on me, but I know there’s pen holders that have sharpeners built in, this is just not a subject I’m up to date on, so any info would be greatly appreciated! Lead vs ink, keeping it short, pocket size, expandable, easy to carry as a everyday item, and most importantly, cheap, maybe I can convince the Mrs, idk, ideas :dunno: thanks
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• No Life Club
Reply #266 on: February 26, 2023, 03:00:03 PM
JR, I won't be of much help as what I would have suggested you already did (Pokka Pens and Bullet pen from Fisher). For a pencil, I would have suggested the Pilot G2 Mini but appears to be d/c'ed (I'm unable to find any other functional pocket mechanical pencil that could be used for prolonged writing).

If you don't mind rollerball pens, perhaps the Kaweco Classic or Al Sport, which allows posting the cap like the fountain pen and making it quite a standard size.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #267 on: February 27, 2023, 05:05:28 AM
Have a look at Zebra Telescopic Pen.  I've always got along with Zebra products.  Its a bit smaller than a bullet pen.  Might be worth a look.

Pilot G2 Mini.  I like the G2 pen as its always been reliable.  If you like G2 the mini maybe one too look at as well?   

I carry and use the Zebra M301.  It does use .5mm lead.  Not sure what lead size you like.

This one is cool and reminds me of the Zebra 701,  ZEBRA Mini 0.5 mm Mechanical Pencil, Silver Body (P-TS-3). 

This one is very cool, uni-ball Kuru Toga Elite Mechanical Pencil . 

Go old school and get Ticonderoga golf pencils with erasers. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #268 on: February 27, 2023, 01:49:21 PM
Still my most favorite set; Zebra M701/F701. I've carried one or both of these over the last three years and found them to be just about as bulletproof as you'd imagine solid stainless steel instruments to be. I've replaced the pen refill with a Fisher pressurized one. Working in a hospital environment the stainless comes in handy when they need to be wiped of with bleach or alcohol - no damage at all! They've earned their place  ;)

* Ek6YVnH[1].jpg (Filesize: 143.56 KB)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #269 on: February 27, 2023, 03:15:04 PM
Still my most favorite set; Zebra M701/F701. I've carried one or both of these over the last three years and found them to be just about as bulletproof as you'd imagine solid stainless steel instruments to be. I've replaced the pen refill with a Fisher pressurized one. Working in a hospital environment the stainless comes in handy when they need to be wiped of with bleach or alcohol - no damage at all! They've earned their place  ;)
Oh yeah, I remember when they first came out, they didn’t even have the pencil, I modified one to use another zebra pencil, I also switched out two other inks to for two other pens, so I had a lineup of three pens like black/blue/red, and a pencil, I even got nail color to put just that little dab on the red and blue ends so I knew what color I was reaching for, I even got a special hip sheath that held all four along with a sharpie that swung from the bottom, actually made the job much easier, cause I sooo loved the pen and the knurled grip, that was until I found a four in one with a knurled grip that had all the same colors and also included a pencil! Like oh sweet!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%