Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The pen and pencil thread

enki_ck · 302 · 40641

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: The pen and pencil thread
Reply #90 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:00 AM
I always carry one of my fountain pens with me.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Rascal

• The pen is mightier than the sword
Reply #91 on: March 27, 2014, 01:46:11 AM
Fountain pens are my favorite also duct. When I use them, I find that people are very curious about them. Whenever anybody asks about them  I always offer to let the person wright with it. Interestingly, people are often intimidated by fountain pens, but when they try it almost everyone falls in love with it. They are always surprised by how smooth fountain pens write and how much control they offer compared to the ballpoints most people are accustomed to. I think many people think that all fountain pens are calligraphy pens. Which you and I know is not the case. It's nice to meet another fountain pen enthusiast.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: March 27, 2014, 09:30:46 AM
Fountain pens are my favorite also duct. When I use them, I find that people are very curious about them. Whenever anybody asks about them  I always offer to let the person wright with it. Interestingly, people are often intimidated by fountain pens, but when they try it almost everyone falls in love with it. They are always surprised by how smooth fountain pens write and how much control they offer compared to the ballpoints most people are accustomed to. I think many people think that all fountain pens are calligraphy pens. Which you and I know is not the case. It's nice to meet another fountain pen enthusiast.
I have noticed this too. Word for word. I let them try try my pen also. A few years ago, I stopped at the gas station in town. I used my pen to sign the reciept. The girl, an OU student, said that it was cool pen. I asked her if she whated to try it. She did and loved it. A few weeks later I stopped in there and the first thing she that come out of her mouth was "lookie at what I got!"
She had gotten herself a nice Parker and uses it at school all the time. She is the only one I got hooked on fountain pens. And I was not out to try to convert people.

Fountain pens rule!
that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Rascal

Reply #93 on: March 28, 2014, 03:55:02 AM
I have noticed this too. Word for word. I let them try try my pen also. A few years ago, I stopped at the gas station in town. I used my pen to sign the reciept. The girl, an OU student, said that it was cool pen. I asked her if she whated to try it. She did and loved it. A few weeks later I stopped in there and the first thing she that come out of her mouth was "lookie at what I got!"
She had gotten herself a nice Parker and uses it at school all the time. She is the only one I got hooked on fountain pens. And I was not out to try to convert people.

Fountain pens rule!
that's us mobile

I won't lie, I actually try to convert people  >:D I'd bet you that the OU student converted some classmates of hers. Fountain pens are spreading like a virus  :D On a different note however...... here are a couple of my mechanical pencils.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: March 28, 2014, 09:29:20 AM
Nice! I like the one on the top.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #95 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:53 PM
My EDC:

Rotring Rapid Pro 0.7 pencil with F leads, Rapid Pro pen with fine black refill and a twin-tip Sharpie.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: March 28, 2014, 02:11:56 PM
This is one of the one I carry around.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #97 on: March 28, 2014, 02:43:34 PM
Zebra keeps letting me down.  I've had a couple models of their heavy steel versions, and they fail on me. In one, the clicky failed. In another, the clip bent open, and you can't remove it to bend it back down.

I'm a southpaw, so I kinda like that cheap fountain pen they came out with, but mon dieu is it ugly.  The pen itself is fine, but the cap is terrible.

I used to use a Pilot varsity, but I can't find them anymore, plus they tended to leak.

Nowadays I just carry a good old Pilot G-2. Simple, cheap, easy to find, long lasting, enough ink flow so it doesn't jam, and when it does break I don't have to hold a funeral.  I also carry around a Sharpie Twin Tip.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Rascal

Reply #98 on: March 28, 2014, 03:29:56 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

that's us mobile

Which model is that?

us Offline Rascal

Reply #99 on: March 28, 2014, 03:39:02 PM
Zebra keeps letting me down.  I've had a couple models of their heavy steel versions, and they fail on me. In one, the clicky failed. In another, the clip bent open, and you can't remove it to bend it back down.

I'm a southpaw, so I kinda like that cheap fountain pen they came out with, but mon dieu is it ugly.  The pen itself is fine, but the cap is terrible.

I used to use a Pilot varsity, but I can't find them anymore, plus they tended to leak.

Nowadays I just carry a good old Pilot G-2. Simple, cheap, easy to find, long lasting, enough ink flow so it doesn't jam, and when it does break I don't have to hold a funeral.  I also carry around a Sharpie Twin Tip.

In my opinion, there's kind of a void in the midmarket of pens. Like you're saying you can get a cheaper model pen which in general are pretty good quality nowadays, but you end up replacing them. Which is okay because the price. The other alternative is you go for quality which is going to last you for years. But of course you have to pay the price for that quality. But then you get into the pens in the middle, like in the $20 to $80 range, and generally speaking there not significantly better enough than the cheap models to justify the price. Keep in mind I am talking about mass production pens, customs are different ballgame.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: March 28, 2014, 03:47:53 PM

that's us mobile

Which model is that?
Parker IM Crome.
that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: March 28, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
In The Netherlands all the kids in school have to write with a fountain pen when they start learning. Never let anyone write with your pen, because the tip 'grows' to your hand. When somebody else writes with it, it might scratch…

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #102 on: March 28, 2014, 05:07:02 PM
In The Netherlands all the kids in school have to write with a fountain pen when they start learning. Never let anyone write with your pen, because the tip 'grows' to your hand. When somebody else writes with it, it might scratch…

+1

When I use a fountain pen, I always carry another ball point pen to lend if anyone asks. They're always going: "Why can't I use that fountain pen?"
I always answer: "Do you really need a pen to write something or do you just want to use my fountain pen?"
 :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: March 28, 2014, 05:26:42 PM
I have always heard this. But I tend to think its not so true. Maybe after 15 years of use you might have worn the nib down enough to the angle in which you write. I won't let most touch mine because they might press to hard and bend or mess up the nib.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Rascal

Reply #104 on: March 28, 2014, 06:23:21 PM

+1

When I use a fountain pen, I always carry another ball point pen to lend if anyone asks. They're always going: "Why can't I use that fountain pen?"
I always answer: "Do you really need a pen to write something or do you just want to use my fountain pen?"
 :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
That is a really cool avatar pfrSantos  :D

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #105 on: May 18, 2014, 11:32:11 PM
My Porsche Design pen (top) over $200... and some that I made at work from Stainless braid hose.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: May 19, 2014, 01:41:23 PM
Cool looking pens!!
Sweet work on those.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #107 on: May 19, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
Nicely done. Have figured out something cool for the caps to close them up?

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: May 19, 2014, 03:24:27 PM
The refill is just from a Bic Cristal. The design is still evolving, all three of these are different, and #4 has a pocket clip. I'm working on a couple of ideas for a cap to go on them.
Probably end up giving them away to some of my major customers. I get lots of comments on the one I use.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #109 on: May 21, 2014, 05:36:08 PM
I take lots of notes and write info from voice mails from clients.  I have found this set works great for me and has for a while.  I keep it all in a Maxpedition 3X5
IMG_3966.jpg
* IMG_3966.jpg (Filesize: 252.46 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #110 on: May 23, 2014, 02:14:55 AM
Can anyone help by recommending a cheap disposable ballpoint pen?
Leatherman

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: May 23, 2014, 02:42:59 AM
Pilot G2's are great.  As you see I like purple since I dont have to have blue/black for work.  If you are into less waste then you can always just buy refills and keep the barrel.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline blooper

Reply #112 on: May 28, 2014, 10:41:40 PM

You can get a dozen Bic sticks (medium) for just over a buck. Nice line thickness and pretty fluid. I use them to sketch but occassionally make notes. Super cheap. Would not complain if someone borrowed it forever.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #113 on: September 19, 2014, 01:02:07 PM
KK Render K in vintage copper  :)

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: September 19, 2014, 09:27:42 PM
I've got a Cross and a Parker pen that I've used a lot, but fr just general carrying around I love the Bic's. They are like a prime example of something that doesn't cost a lot, but always works. LIke Bic lighters. But I fond the soft grip Bic's are really very nice to write with. Very smooth and even line.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #115 on: September 25, 2014, 04:46:08 PM
I've got a Cross and a Parker pen that I've used a lot, but fr just general carrying around I love the Bic's. They are like a prime example of something that doesn't cost a lot, but always works. LIke Bic lighters. But I fond the soft grip Bic's are really very nice to write with. Very smooth and even line.

+1

Now we just have to wait until they release the BIC MT...
 :whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #116 on: September 25, 2014, 11:10:34 PM
My current pens

Which have my own mix of Diamine ink in.

My pencils

After 30 years I've yet to have a Pentel let me down
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: February 25, 2015, 01:02:15 PM
I've gone tacticool with filling in paperwork.

Paperwork better not talk back.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #118 on: February 25, 2015, 01:28:17 PM
I've gone tacticool with filling in paperwork.

Paperwork better not talk back.

Nice :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #119 on: February 25, 2015, 01:46:26 PM
Pilot G2's are great.  As you see I like purple since I dont have to have blue/black for work.  If you are into less waste then you can always just buy refills and keep the barrel.   

+1.  I really like the G-2 05 - same barrel but a finer point.  Great for sketching.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%