Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wingman scissors

Dunc · 30 · 13519

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Wingman scissors
on: November 16, 2011, 07:52:06 AM
How are you getting on with the scissors ? I'm still trying to make my mind up . I've found that when using them the material get pushed out , either the material is being pushed forward or the scissors are trying to go backwards . Plastic cable ties are a no no but it handles bandages and first aid dressings with ease  :D I've also noticed that while the scissors and grind look sharp if you open them too wide and place the material too far in near the pivot they become far less effective . They cut far better near the tip which in my opinion make them behave like a far  smaller pair .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:54:25 AM by Dunc »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Wingman scissors
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:04:23 AM
How are you getting on with the scissors ? I'm still trying to make my mind up . I've found that when using them the material get pushed out , either the material is being pushed forward or the scissors are trying to go backwards . Plastic cable ties are a no no but it handles bandages and first aid dressings with ease  :D I've also noticed that while the scissors and grind look sharp if you open them too wide and place the material too far in near the pivot they become far less effective . They cut far better near the tip which in my opinion make them behave like a far  smaller pair .

I have noticed the same thing with the Wingman scissors. It seems as if there is not enough "bite" at the cutting edge and certain materials get pushed forward. I actually cut some pretty thick zip ties with my Wingman scissors and they handled it pretty well, but I had to really push forward so they would not slip out. I honestly cant make my mind up on the Wingman scissors.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:59 AM
One of my tests for scissors is to try them on very thin tissue paper and the wingmans passed this with flying colours .paper , card and cloth are not a problem either so they are effective it's just you feel like your chasing what your trying to cut .

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Wingman scissors
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:22 AM
Yeah, they kinda stunk which is why i swapped em out... My first new experience with another brand is great however. I'm constantly amazed by the wide variance in performance of these "simple" tools. I still need to experience the SAK can opener :) im off topic again

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:34 PM
The scissors on my Wingman are terrible, causing me to issue a thumbs down for the whole tool.  The thumb pad is ridiculous, and the lock on mine disengages under usage causing the scissors to fail.

So, I have no use for the Wingman scissors or the Wingman itself.

But I still love Leatherman, and will buy just about everything that has their name on it.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:40:12 PM
Not as good as vic that's for sure, but workable.

Sent from my phone using tap tap tap

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 06:03:04 AM
I really like the size of the Wingman's scissors  8) 8) , the way they lock up reminds me of my Surge's scissors. Yep the thumb pad is terrible & mine almost seem to not be sharp enough  :think: :think:. I think LM needs to fine tune them a bit more. I like the size of them much more than the Wave/Charge scissors but they need a bit more work I reckon  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:07:52 AM
The scissors on my Wingman are terrible, causing me to issue a thumbs down for the whole tool.  The thumb pad is ridiculous, and the lock on mine disengages under usage causing the scissors to fail.

If the thumb pad is any bigger though it wouldn't fit into the slot.

I really like the size of the Wingman's scissors  8) 8) , the way they lock up reminds me of my Surge's scissors. Yep the thumb pad is terrible & mine almost seem to not be sharp enough  :think: :think:. I think LM needs to fine tune them a bit more. I like the size of them much more than the Wave/Charge scissors but they need a bit more work I reckon  :think: :think:

I duno if they dumped all the parts back to the bin after sharpening and let them eat each other or what, but the scissor edge has a lot of flat spots. After sharpen them they work much better. Also the metal seems to be thinner so they flex apart on harder stuff.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:10:10 AM by jzmtl »

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 06:09:01 PM
I also find that the Wingman scissors only work near the tip. It seems to me that the blades are curved in such a way that they do not sufficiently meet near the pivot to provide a cutting action there. Keeping this in mind and using only the functional part, I find the scissors work well.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 08:25:06 PM
I much prefer the scissors on the wave and the surge

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:50 AM
So would you all agree to sum it up the Wingmans Scissors while not great are acceptable ? Thats my opinion . I'm happy to use them and I've seen alot worse .

Dunc

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 05:49:13 PM
So would you all agree to sum it up the Wingmans Scissors while not great are acceptable ? Thats my opinion . I'm happy to use them and I've seen alot worse .

Dunc

I completely agree. They are very usable and much better than a lot of MT scissors out there I was just expecting more. Perfectly usable though.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

Offline shecky

Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:13:04 AM
I find the Wingman scissors to be about average Leatherman quality. Which is to say, not great, but usable. The nicest Leatherman scissors I've seen are on the Juice XE6. They're simply a nicely refined design. Most other Leatheman scissors, including Micra/Squirt, I think are relatively crude devices.

On another forum, someone claimed that their Wingman's scissors were clearly faulty, in that they had no spring! Sounded a little fishy to me, as I can't see how something like that could go out the door, but if true, that's clearly a Bear & Son level screw-up. 

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 02:26:59 PM
I like scissors that are suitable for everything to fingernail cutting; nose hair trimming; small zip-ties; paper; tape; some fabrics; etc...  I know I wouldn't want to carry 2 sets of scissors for different occasions. 
SAW

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Wingman scissors
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 05:32:57 PM
They don't work so hot vs paracord... Not many do either but great scissors cut paracord no problem

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 05:57:49 PM
I'm thinking if it was someone's first MT they would like the scissors.
But if they had ever used Vic scissors, they would indeed be disappointed...
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 10:16:18 PM
I carry a Classic in my pocket in order to have the precise scissors and the tweezer, and haven't found any good scissors on a multitool except for the Swisstool, Spirit and Vic SAKs - which are also very precise.

It depends on what one is looking for in scissors.  If you are cutting zip ties or canvas, just about any of the multitool scissors will work for you.  But for finer stuff, like hangnails and so forth, few if any MT scissors will do the trick.  Ever try removing a hang nail (or similar) with a Juice, Wave, or Wingman?  No way.

Precise scissors as found on the Classic or Spirit will do the trick, and in my view are vastly superior to the rest of the pack.

So whether one digs the Wingman's scissors depends in large degree on what you will be doing with them.

On my particular Wingman - though I assume not all Wingmans - the lock disengages when I use the scissors, so the scissors don't function at all.

This whole scissor issue is one reason I like scissorless MTs like the ST300 and upcoming  Rebar.  Since I don't much like MT scissors generally, I'd just as soon save the space for something else.  I know most folks have a countervailing opinion, and thats groovy.  This is just my opinion.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 02:09:12 AM
I tried cutting a cotton gauze pad,to cover a diabetic foot ulcer.  And it fought me as Dunc originally described :oops:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 07:50:02 AM
I tried to cut a zip tie today with my wingman scissors.  I ended up pulling out my knife blade.  After carrying my wingman this week at work and using it for every task that came up, I must say that it feels very much like a beginner tool, and not in a good way.  The plier handles are too far apart when closed for a tool this size, the end of the longer handles is kicked out(so as to wrap around the smaller end for that "skeletool" look when closed) and this hurts the palm a bit if you apply significant pressure, the scissors are all wrong for any but the lightest duty, and still not as good as the smallest Vic scissors.  The drivers and inside tools don't lock, which is disappointing for a tool that weighs in close to my blast.  The file, while sharp, is utterly useless for any medium or higher needs.  The phillips works pretty good actually, but since it's non locking I have no confidence in doing anything other than minor tighting or loosening with it.  The can opener is par or worse than most LM models to date.  The knife blade is thin to the point of feeling very weak, but it does have a great edge after a bit of stone work.  It just feels very wobbly and the detent doesn't hold it in very well when closed(I have this issue with all the OHO LM tools, it's probably just me, YMMV). 

All that said, the clamshell opener is cool!  I hope they add it to more models.

The one thing I really, really like though is the Spirit style springs on the plier pivots.  That positive lock just screams quality, even if it's masking other issues. 

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 06:07:46 AM
Any one else have a problem with the scissors being very thin and easily flex so that the lock mechanism slips out of place?
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15:34 AM
No I havnt , mine have always locked firmly in place .

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 05:07:27 PM
I gave my brother in law a Wingman for Christmas.  He now carries it instead of his old PST because he likes the pocket clip.   While we were working on a project, he used the Wingman scissors a few time and found that the spring did not close the scissors at all.  I took a look at it, but couldn't figure out how to fix them.  He continued to use them and we both heard a click from the MT.  He tried the scissors and found that the spring now worked correctly.  I'm not sure what was wrong, but all seems to be good now.
Tick Magnet

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 05:34:56 PM
The spring on the scissors won't work unless the liner lock is fully engaged. Sticky liner lock seems to be a common issue on the Wingman.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 10:15:33 PM
As you deploy the scissors open the jaws at the same time . The line lock wont engage if the jaws are closed .

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:40 AM
I didn't describe the problem well.  How about a pic?  First time I use the scissors to trim my nails. The scissors flex along the length to the right at the tip which causes the spring to slip.

Anyone else seeing it?

Martin
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 12:47:51 AM
As you deploy the scissors open the jaws at the same time . The line lock wont engage if the jaws are closed .

Tried it and you are correct sir (as usual ;)), if you keep the tension off of the scissor spring, it locks every time  :salute:

First time I use the scissors to trim my nails. The scissors flex along the length to the right at the tip which causes the spring to slip. Anyone else seeing it?

Martin

Yes, I can make it do that, but the spring seems to snap right back in place when I push it there.

us Offline Adam Clark

• Strictly LEATHERMAN 99% of the time!
Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:34 AM
I haven't ever really needed scissors to do much beyond trimming my 'stache..... Sometimes for zip-ties and fingernails.
I haven't had any problems with the scissors on my Wingman.... so far.
When it comes to cutting paracord, I usually only use the knife blade anyways..... paracord is tough stuff. I've had scissors bend and give out on me while cutting 550 cord, so I only use a knife now.
I prefer the scissors on my Wave over the ones on my WM.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 02:36:38 AM
They sort of remind me of Juice scissors.  Big and sharp, but not powerful like the ones on the Surge/Wave/Charge. 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11:25 AM
I didn't describe the problem well.  How about a pic?  First time I use the scissors to trim my nails. The scissors flex along the length to the right at the tip which causes the spring to slip.

Anyone else seeing it?

Martin

Had that happen to me on other MT as well, you can grind the tip of spring to a slope that cants toward the other half, so it'll stay in place.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:13:20 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 11:18:56 PM
Thanks, I will try that!  It isn't a huge problem for me as I'll probably stick with the SAK scissors to trim my nails. 

Overall, there are some very favorable things about the Wingman (cost, OH blade similar shape to skeletool, cost, pliers, cost).  I'll keep it around for the occasional use.  If it had been one of the first Leathermans/multitools that I had bought, I wouldn't think twice about it being a good value. I like the blade (mine shaved hair, right out of the package), love the package cutter tool and won't feel too bad about letting someone borrow it. 

Maybe the Wingman is a good platform for some experimentation with new tools and as they find tools that people really like, they can bump them up to the more expensive platform?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%