Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Design a SAK

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Re: Design a SAK
Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 12:22:44 AM
I think OHT with a plain blade and G-10 handles would be about perfect. Maybe make it about a half inch shorter.

How about Micarta and a clip? :pok:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Beautiful knives NutSAK!

I'd love to own a GAK or OHT with a built in pocket clip.

Are replacement scales available for these knives?

If I could get a set of the replacement scales I might be able to add a clip myself.  I have several nice clips on hand that'd probably work OK.

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 02:01:42 AM
There's only two ways to get knives like that- contact Scibeer and ask him to do them, or make them yourself!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 06:43:58 AM
There's only two ways to get knives like that- contact Scibeer and ask him to do them, or make them yourself!

Def

Duh!  I realize that Vic doesn't sell the knives with pocket clips.

What I was hoping to find out:

-Will Vic sell just the scales?  Specifically, scales for the GAK and OHT knives?

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 12:44:30 PM
Tom (rotokid) has scales for sale for the 91mm SAK's, so it might be worth asking if he can get you any.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 01:39:25 PM
The only 111mm scales I've seen so far have all been hand crafted.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 04:04:40 PM
-Will Vic sell just the scales?  Specifically, scales for the GAK and OHT knives?

Surely they're available somewhere.  You can buy replacement scales for all the other sizes of SAK, so I don't know why I've never seen 111mm ones available...
- Terry

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 04:36:43 PM
Nutsak- do you know where I can get a Safari Hunter?
B

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 05:00:33 PM
Nutsak- do you know where I can get a Safari Hunter?

I got mine from felinevet.  Your best best is to PM or email him.  Ebay is just about your only other option.
- Terry

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 05:26:22 PM
I tried! How much did you pay?
B

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 05:43:36 PM
I think it was $65.  Those are rare knives.

You're probably better off just buying a 111mm Hunter for half the price.
- Terry

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 06:40:27 PM
I have a reg. Hunter. I have to have that one!
B

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 10:54:51 PM
I think it was $65.  Those are rare knives.

You're probably better off just buying a 111mm Hunter for half the price.

I should mention that $65 was the price of the knife alone, NIB.  That doesn't include the G-10 custom scales.
- Terry

Offline RedRamage

Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 05:31:37 PM
Okay, for me the Cybertool Lite is a Great Knife.  I really like it a lot.  But, I would like to see a couple of improvements.

First of all, the inline LED: It's too dim.  It needs to be replaced with a brighter LED.  The switch also need to be improved as I'm constantly turning it on accidentally in my pocket.

Second I'd replace the magnifier with the old style... just looks better in my opinion.

Third, in the plus scales, I'd like a hole on the tweezers side that mirrors the slot for the pen.  This could be used to place a fire stick or a stylus or a pencil perhaps?

Then my most radical change... and one I'm not 100% I'd like, but it could be interesting... replace the main blade and the small blade with two 3/4s blades.  The idea is that each would be about 3/4 the length of the main blade.  This would allow for things like one "normal" blade and a serrated blade, each of the same size.  Or perhaps a "normal" blade and a blade with a different geometry.  I'm not sure if I'd like not having a full sized blade, but I do find that 90% of the time I use the blade I don't need one the size of the main blade anyway.  In fact the far majority of cutting jobs I do I do with the small blade.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 07:53:22 PM
Okay, for me the Cybertool Lite is a Great Knife.  I really like it a lot.  But, I would like to see a couple of improvements.

First of all, the inline LED: It's too dim.  It needs to be replaced with a brighter LED.  The switch also need to be improved as I'm constantly turning it on accidentally in my pocket.

Second I'd replace the magnifier with the old style... just looks better in my opinion.

That switch has been the only gripe I have with the Lite series of 91mm SAKs.The new magnifiers just remind me too much of the ones you'd find in a box of Crackerjacks.
I

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 09:26:30 PM
I'm sitting here looking at my Spirit and thinking how Victorinox could improve on it. One thing I can see is not really an improvement but actually a "demotion" in a sense. There are 5 "blades" on each side, if they could narrow that down to 3 blades by getting rid of a couple things and maximizing space I think they could come up with a much better minimalist multi-tool than the LM Kick. Priced similarly I think they'd sell buttloads of them.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: January 19, 2008, 05:24:18 AM
I'm sitting here looking at my Spirit and thinking how Victorinox could improve on it. One thing I can see is not really an improvement but actually a "demotion" in a sense. There are 5 "blades" on each side, if they could narrow that down to 3 blades by getting rid of a couple things and maximizing space I think they could come up with a much better minimalist multi-tool than the LM Kick. Priced similarly I think they'd sell buttloads of them.

But to truly make it any narrower, wouldn't they have to get rid of at least two of the "long" blades? (knife, scissors, file, saw) I could reluctantly do without the saw, but not the other three. :-\   

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 19, 2008, 05:51:29 AM
But to truly make it any narrower, wouldn't they have to get rid of at least two of the "long" blades? (knife, scissors, file, saw) I could reluctantly do without the saw, but not the other three
Actually I'm looking at a Spirit S so I don't have scissors but it doesn't matter. I'm talking about a minimalist one. I'm not talking about REPLACING the Spirit, but a lot of people don't need a file or a saw or scissors. Imagine a 3 layered Spirit. On one side you've got a can and bottle opener. Add a knife blade and you have your 3 layers. On the other side add the Phillips screwdriver and an awl. That leaves you with a "long" layer that leaves you with several options. Do you want a saw, a pair of scissors or a serrated blade?

Victorinox could come up with a nice slim 3 layered minimalist tool like the LM Kick but could offer more options. Plus they have the locking system.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 19, 2008, 07:04:23 AM
Actually I'm looking at a Spirit S so I don't have scissors but it doesn't matter. I'm talking about a minimalist one. I'm not talking about REPLACING the Spirit, but a lot of people don't need a file or a saw or scissors. Imagine a 3 layered Spirit. On one side you've got a can and bottle opener. Add a knife blade and you have your 3 layers. On the other side add the Phillips screwdriver and an awl. That leaves you with a "long" layer that leaves you with several options. Do you want a saw, a pair of scissors or a serrated blade?

Victorinox could come up with a nice slim 3 layered minimalist tool like the LM Kick but could offer more options. Plus they have the locking system.

I've long harboured the belief that I desire a SOG PPP. I've never handled one, so the desire is at the moment subject to the implications of reality.

Side A
Plain Blade
Phillips.
Cap Lifter/Screwdriver

Side B
Serrated Sheepsfoot
Awl
Canopener/Screwdriver.

Might swap the sharps to be the Half serrated and a File, or if I was carrying a separate folder, Saw and File. (or if there was a Capliftter/canopener combo, it would leave room for a dedicated slothead, or whathaveyou)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2008, 07:08:21 AM
An alox model with a main blade, an awl, a saw, a seatbelt cutter/serrated blade (like on the SH), and the can opener and bottle opener for outdoors.

For everyday purposes: Normal model with main blade, small blade, serrated blade/seatbelt cutter (SH again) scissors, pliers, can/bottle openers. On the back: Phillips head screwdriver, hook, awl.
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #49 on: January 20, 2008, 12:21:46 AM
Viper I am with you on the ALOX model! I said the exact same thing!
B

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 20, 2008, 12:37:24 AM
How many seatbelt uprisings do you expect to quell in a day that you require a specific tool for it?

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 20, 2008, 12:48:28 AM
How many seatbelt uprisings do you expect to quell in a day that you require a specific tool for it?

That's my thinking, I know it's tough material but I would think any good sharp knife will cut through it pretty good.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #52 on: January 20, 2008, 01:33:55 AM
Well its really not to cut seatbelts but to cut rope etc.. Have you seen Dunc's RS Rope Cut Vid.? He is using the seatbelt cutter...
B

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 20, 2008, 03:46:35 AM
I think I'd rather the Spirit butter knife for that action, 'course, I ever advocate the use of Sheepsfoot blades.

Clip-point users are probably used to accidentally stabbing themselves or bystanders when performing the rather hazardous action of cutting lines, or lines close to the body, so are perhaps more enamoured with the extra safety provided by the inner curve on the so called "seat belt cutter"

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #54 on: January 20, 2008, 03:49:20 AM
But the belt cutter is rounded off!
B

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 20, 2008, 05:37:25 AM

Okay those images don't show real well.
I'm not wholly opposed to that sort of ultra-"safe" knife, but I'm not sure I'd carry one if I had other Sharps handy.

If you really want to get into it, you can get something like this -

Dunc may or may not be intimately familiar with that sort of set up - they come in many life boats (specifically for cutting the line that attaches you to the ship you just abandoned)

The idea being that someone in an absolute panic can still use one without injuring themselves, anyone else, or the inflatable life raft.

(That particular one is called a "911 Knife" - but someone else would know better than myself whether police carry such a thing, or if they prefer the Razor style (as seen in the Res-Q-Me)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:47:18 AM by Nomad »

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 11:58:51 AM
I was going to start a new thread, but figured it was close enough in topic to this one -

I love the Pioneer. I use all the tools on it frequently.

I'm a big Reamer fan, the Cap Lifter (as I'll tell anyone who stands still long enough) is a great lever, and if I don't open many cans, the Vic can opener is great for tearing cardboard and plastic packaging.

In time past I've had a Wenger Classic 50/1 (I can't be bothered checking the Sak Selector to see which is which), but simply did not have a use for all the tools.

I now have a Climber and a spanking new Champion Plus (I think?) and I've got to thinking what other SAKs may be for me.
I find the Climber borderline carryable, the the Champion is definitely going to be a desk-sitter.

I've pondered the Waiter or Bantam. Single layer, Knife and Combo tool - very high Function to size ratio.

I may embrace the End Phillips, as it has a lot more application than the Centre opening one on the Climber. Looking at the SAK Selector, the Scientist or yeoman could be for me.

The Scientist essentially being a Waiter + end #1Phillips and magnifying glass. I'd rather a Reamer than the Mag, but what can you do.

The yeoman has further additions of Scissors and Hook - two items I would not usually consider, but for whatever reason are striking a cord with me tonight.

Of course, by the time I discover this new growing affection, the two models in question are long out of availability.

So, to all - (except Def, since he obviously lacks any ability to choose) - without just telling me what your current EDC is, which SAK models really feel like they might be tailor made to your needs?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:00:58 PM by Nomad »

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #57 on: January 25, 2008, 12:19:28 PM
I may embrace the End Phillips, as it has a lot more application than the Centre opening one on the Climber.

Just a quick question...are you sure you mean climber there? My climber only has the end on the can opener to use on philips, and thats an end opener.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 25, 2008, 12:27:02 PM
Just a quick question...are you sure you mean climber there? My climber only has the end on the can opener to use on philips, and thats an end opener.

Ah yes, Climber has Corkscrew.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #59 on: January 25, 2008, 01:18:31 PM

Ah yes, Climber has Corkscrew.

The model that is like the Climber w/a phillips is the Super Tinker.

The Yeoman and Scientist are awesome knives, but pretty hard to find.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD