Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Style PS TSA Problems??

WWW · 41 · 12258

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Style PS TSA Problems??
on: November 19, 2011, 04:05:43 PM
Leatherman Style PS: The TSA Friendly Keychain Tool

While watching this video I spot a comment and remembered of someone here that took a pic of the PS inside the cockpit.

The guy's comment:
" i work at an airport, and scissors are on the banned list, ANY thing with a point or that could be used as a weapon just will not pass the inspection."
by auradud3 

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any problem like that?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Style PS TSA Problems??
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:35:59 PM
The person that took the picture was, as far as I remember, a leatherman employee, so that was a special case.
Really, worldwide, anything that could be used as a weapon can be confiscated if the police at the airport wants to. Usually it can depend on who you are, how you look, where you are flying to etc.

If you can justify needing the scissors then it should be OK, maybe..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:09:01 AM
The person that took the picture was, as far as I remember, a leatherman employee, so that was a special case.
Really, worldwide, anything that could be used as a weapon can be confiscated if the police at the airport wants to. Usually it can depend on who you are, how you look, where you are flying to etc.

If you can justify needing the scissors then it should be OK, maybe..

Unless your carrying your MTo PS...cant risk losing that!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:19:56 AM
This is where Leatherman and I disagree significantly.  They say this is approved by the TSA and claim that numerous staff members have flown a variety of places with the PS without incident.  While I don't dispute that, I do know that airline security rules vary greatly from place to place and from agent to agent.  What gets past one agent may not get past another, and claiming they are wrong and citing the rules for them is a good way to get yourself a body cavity search or worse.

Leatherman can claim all they like that it's TSA friendly but agents have a significant amount of latitude in enforcement, and the folks at Leatherman are not going to cover your legal bills or get you taken off the No Fly List if things go sour.  I could just as easily say that wearing road flares and an alarm clock strapped to your chest is also acceptable apparel when you fly (it's not- don't try it) but since I'm taking no responsibility for it, it's all on you if you try it and get in sh*t.  In my mind, this is very irresponsible to your clientele.

The folks at Leatherman tested it and it worked for them.  Your results may vary, and like the Mythbusters, I would suggest you accept their findings and refrain from trying it yourself.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:38:44 AM
Love the Mythbuster's reference.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 12:41:40 AM
Thanks, but I'm hoping you got the not so subtle point of that post too!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 01:36:32 AM
Thanks, but I'm hoping you got the not so subtle point of that post too!  :P

Def

Don't worry I did. I don't have any plans to fly with a PS for the exact reasons you expressed in your post.
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 02:32:47 AM
Excellent- I would hate for someone to try and claim they got the idea of taking contraband on a plane from here.  Mostly because suing this forum would be pointless as I have no money... :P

Def

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:50:15 AM
I'll let you guys know tomorrow afternoon.

I'm flying back home for the Thanksgiving holiday to be with my family.

I've put my Style PS on my keychain, and I'll be going through security at MSP (Minneapolis-St. Paul) International and flying to SFO (San Francisco) International.

We'll see what happens.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:16:00 AM

I've put my Style PS on my keychain, and I'll be going through security at MSP (Minneapolis-St. Paul) International and flying to SFO (San Francisco) International.

We'll see what happens.

I doubt you will have problems, but it is the TSA so you never know.  :think: Let us know how it goes.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 11:18:37 AM
Just a heads up that if you are flying out of Cyprus your knives etc (within reason-no guns or machetes, that is, nothing that would have been illegal to have on you normally) will not actually be confiscated but just taken away and put in storage and you will be given a receipt for that.
You can claim them back, within about 6 months, e.g. when you return from your trip. These items if they are not claimed within that 6 month period are auctioned.

I know, however, that many other airport authorities in Europe and worldwide will just confiscate these items without giving you the chance to reclaim them (easily).

Also bear in mind that just because one airport authority let you through with an item it does not mean that the next one will also allow you to keep that item (when, for example, you are passing through their airport in transit).

I usually just put a lower value multitool or/and knife in my suitcase, since truth be told. it is unlikely I will actually need it on the plane anyway.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 04:13:45 PM

We'll see what happens.

If you get challenged on it, surrender it immediately.  Do not try to argue the point.

I have been arrested at an airport in the past- it's not a fun experience, and I was also in the right.  It cost me several thousand dollars to get myself cleared and despite having done nothing wrong, I never did get my items back.  And, this was before 9-11- things have just gotten worse since then.

Def
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:15:53 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:19:18 PM
I can give a couple of tips based on my experience after flying over a million miles.

First Grant is absolutely right if you argue with the security agents you will at the very least be delayed, and likely will miss you flight.  With the airline schedules the way they are another flight might cause you to see the inside of a airport terminal for longer than you like.  If you do have a disagreement with a TSA agent request a supervisor immediately.  I had a bottle of prescription cough syrup and my Style PS with me and the agent decided that the cough syrup could not go because it was "expired".  He wanted to dispose of the cough syrup so I asked for a supervisor...the supervisor made him use the sniffer on the bottle.  There is no such thing as an expired prescription label, the bottle is going to start getting the label worn but it is ok.  The prescription must also have your surname printed on the label, I carried a bottle with my daughter's name on it for about 3 years until a agent in Washington Dulles airport had a problem with the name.  This was before the sniffers and the thing to remember is you can't win.

Remove the items that might cause delay from your bag and put a Style PS open in the bin.  Having it open saves them from opening it and makes it much easier for the agent working the scanner.  The only time my Style PS has ever been looked at is when I forgot to open it.  You might still be delayed but at least you gave it your best shot.  I got stopped once for a concealed bar of soap!  I almost missed my flight that day and when I came back to the airport I talked to a supervisor and explained that my bag was pulled and 2 agents went through the bag and sent it through again and it still failed for a bar of soap!  I found out that the person on the scanner was upset because they found a loaded gun being brought though security and she found it on the scanner.  So she was being super careful.  The loaded gun was not what is seemed...I bet it was a test.

Don't argue with the agents.  You can disagree and ask for a supervisor but don't argue and don't raise your voice.  I watched a guy at LAX argue and yell at the TSA agents over a bottle of water!  He was screaming about his civil rights and let as all know he was a card carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.  The Los Angeles Police have a area just inside security at LAX and they came over and walked him away.  In the US you don't have any civil rights when you are inside an airport especially on the "Sterile" side of security.  I wonder how much that cost him.

Another tip is if you do carry knives or mulit-tools in your checked luggage put them in a box that has postage paid and is addressed to your home address.  The box can still be x-rayed but they can't mess with the mail.  There are postage paid priority mail boxes that can be used and re-used many times.   

I don't carry my Style PS anymore there was not enough value in the tool for me.  I only used the scissors twice and both times there was a bigger pair of scissors on my desk. 

Bruce

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:36 PM
Thanks for the input Bruce.  It's difficult not to get political in a discussion like this, but one has to remember that airports are private property and so all the power of private property laws are in effect, including refusing access or service to anyone with or without a reason are in effect.  It's also a place of concern for National Security so all the power and focus of Homeland Security are there as well.  In short, you have no civil rights when flying.

Assuming you are completely legal, and you do comport yourself properly when challenged by agents, and you do get taken aside to discuss things quietly and logically with a supervisor, you can still be added to the No Fly List simply for having attracted attention.

Is that worth it to have a small set of pliers and a nail file for a few hours?  Not in my book, especially if you are trying to get home- it's a long bloody way to walk from wherever you are to get back.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:58 PM
Grant,

thanks for your concern, fortunately I had no problems.  I put my keys with the PS in the tray with the rest of my stuff, and the screener on the intake side of the scanner asked me if there was a knife on it, and I said "no, just scissors and pliers" and she didn't say anything else.  Another security guard motioned me through the scanner and that was it.  I picked up my stuff on the other side and had no problems.

I don't feel any further need to experiment with it any more though.  I too don't really feel like the utility it provides meets my needs.  My CS meets my needs better.  Of course, that'll be going in my suitcase anyway.  I know that won't make it through.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 10:31:33 PM
Grant,

thanks for your concern, fortunately I had no problems.  I put my keys with the PS in the tray with the rest of my stuff, and the screener on the intake side of the scanner asked me if there was a knife on it, and I said "no, just scissors and pliers" and she didn't say anything else.  Another security guard motioned me through the scanner and that was it.  I picked up my stuff on the other side and had no problems.

I don't feel any further need to experiment with it any more though.  I too don't really feel like the utility it provides meets my needs.  My CS meets my needs better.  Of course, that'll be going in my suitcase anyway.  I know that won't make it through.

Good to hear. Did you open the tool in the tray or leave it closed?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 01:57:20 AM
As others have said, the major issue is not the rules, but the smurfwits that the TSA hires (many of whom couldn't get hired at a 7-11) have the final say because the rules do say it is at the inspector's discretion.

That's why I don't fly. Someone with less training that a mall cop gets to tell me what I can fly with. At least iPods have stopped being dangerous, for the most part.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:17 AM
Grant,

Good to hear. Did you open the tool in the tray or leave it closed?

closed.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 02:04:16 PM
What a weird time we live in where airport security has such power over us  :-\

We all know how pointless it is to challenge them as at best we'll miss our flight and at worst we'll meet the business end of a rubber glove  :ahhh

And yet we queue up and pay big money to be treated like this  ::)

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 02:22:01 PM
They've ruined flying IMO... I couldn't handle forking over any of my belongings to be able to board a plane.
SAW

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Style PS TSA Problems??
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 06:52:23 PM
Yep, $1500 for 3 to fly to St. louis and for that you give up your rights and property

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 08:39:52 PM
Guys- I completely agree with those sentiments, but we need to make sure we don't get too carried away with TSA bashing.  Like it or not, modern travel arrangements are a pain in the ass, but they are there and no ranting on a forum is going to change that.  It is more likely that this will get political and we need to avoid that eventuality.

Air travel is a necessary evil for many of us nowadays, and this is quite simply the way it is at the moment.  If you don't like it, send a letter to your congressman.

Def

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 08:45:04 PM
Aren't nail files banned also if they are pointed at the end?
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 01:09:50 AM
I have no idea- all I know is that I don't take any chances at all.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 10:37:10 PM
Where the TSA is concerned, it's better to err on the side of caution.  I won't be trying any experiments when I fly back to Iowa to go back to work tomorrow.

Flying isn't all it's cracked up to be anymore anyway.  No big deal to me though; I view strictly as a utilitarian service.  As long as it gets me back and forth to see my wife and kids, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, I do it when necessary.  The airline industry also produces a boatload of our greenhouse gas output, so I only do it when necessary.

us Offline getahl

Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 05:02:01 AM
Aren't nail files banned also if they are pointed at the end?

I haven't seen any literature banning the metal, pointed ones, and I've never had one confiscated in carry on luggage over the course of 30ish flights, all between 2009 and present.

Offline Teh_Future!!!

• New User
Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 12:29:58 AM
Weeeeooooowwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I am checking in from 6 years in the future and I am happy to report that I took a Leatherman Style PS from New York LaGuardia to Ronald Reagan in Washington DC, then back again, with no issues from the TSA either way.

I will be taking a vacation with the wife next month, travelling from New York to the Xar'illian Pleasure Resort in the Abliss IV sector, and bringing my trusty Style PS once again.  I will let you all know if I catch any heat from the Intergalactic Transit and Customs Normalization Authority.  They've been a bit jumpy since Zaxilitron separatists caused all those issues in Trilacan Space Station a few weeks back.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:25 AM
Welcome to the boards TF.   :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 01:41:40 AM
I know what I said in my previous post years ago but since then I have flown and been through many, many TSA security checkpoints with my Style PS without a single issue. Not even so much as a question. I feel very comfortable bringing it on any flight with me.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 03:23:37 AM
Glad to see that you guys didn't had problems with the TSA folk. And if I may, I would like to take the oportunity to apologize if the topic caused too much... politicalnessyishness or whatever.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%