Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Style PS TSA Problems??

WWW · 41 · 12372

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Style PS TSA Problems??
Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 01:50:02 PM
Welcome to :MTO: Teh Future :tu:

Or is it welcome to the future MTO :think: ??? :shrug: :D

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 05:04:31 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Teh Future :tu:

Or is it welcome to the future MTO :think: ??? :shrug: :D

No worries, bro, it's where Dr. Z is from so it's all good ;)

Welcome Aboard Teh_Future! :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:28 PM
I've flown many times both domestic and international (Europe) with my Style PS since I got it in 2014, and never had a serious problem. Once particular TSA agent was convinced I had hidden a blade on it somewhere, but relented after his search proved fruitless. Since then I always put it out in the bin with all the implements pre-opened for them, and most of the time they just thank me for making their job easier and comment on what a cool gadget it is.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 11:39:36 PM
Remember that when you are going through security theatre in the US, you are at the whim of someone who 

A) Only requires a GED or high school diploma. (keep in mind that in a lot of places, you have to be a military veteran or have bachelor's degree to be a cop)
B) Has no felony convictions
C) MAY have been convicted or be pending trial for a domestic violence misdemeanor (which in the US means you can't buy a firearm).
D) Is not trusted with a firearm of their own.
E) Is not empowered to make an arrest.
F) Isn't paid much

These guys don't go to FLETC. Their training is like two weeks. They aren't real cops. A lot of malls and more than a few bars have security that is more real world than TSA screeners. There is a reason when the FBI, Secret Service, Homeland Security and the FAA try to beat TSA screeners, they usually do. And they don't have to say WHY they didn't want you to get on board an aircraft with it. How many of us remember the stories of how the TSA was seizing iPods by the dozen back in 2001 and 2002? These are the same rejects who have a documented history of taking away Legos- yes, it's lightsaber, but... really?

I don't trust someone who only needs an IQ half of mine and functionally no accountability to keep me safe when I get herded onto what is effectively an escape proof killing ground.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 03:53:23 PM
Flew with the PS a couple of times. The only time I was asked about it was in Heathrow, UK, where I stated that the tool was a blade/less design, that is stated to be US TSA approved by its maker, Leatherman. I ended up talking with the security manager, and he asked me to pack it in my carry on, instead of having it on my keyring in my pocket. I lost maybe 5 minutes, no more. It was on a business trip, and my boss rolled her eyes, saying "Men and their toys.." when I joined back in after my slight delay.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 04:08:19 PM
In all my life I've only gotten a tool taken from me, it was a Wenger Commander I forgot in my shoulder bag when going through the Barcelona Airport. Couldn't mail it to me or keep it, and there was no time to go back so I had to let it go   :cry:

On the other hand, when going to Albacete I went through the Barcelona airport security with a scalpel (handle + blade) inside the wallet, in my pocket, whereas my friend Yago had to leave his deodorant can and shampoo pot behind as they were more than 150ml in volume. We both had to take our belts off as the metal buckle also made the gate beep.
I laughed at that stupidity, but kept the laugh to myself.

Same on our way back to Barcelona from Madrid, at the Barajas airport, where I had the same scalpel with metal handle on my wallet and it didn't beep the machine.  :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 04:44:58 PM
:
In all my life I've only gotten a tool taken from me, it was a Wenger Commander I forgot in my shoulder bag when going through the Barcelona Airport. Couldn't mail it to me or keep it, and there was no time to go back so I had to let it go   :cry:

On the other hand, when going to Albacete I went through the Barcelona airport security with a scalpel (handle + blade) inside the wallet, in my pocket, whereas my friend Yago had to leave his deodorant can and shampoo pot behind as they were more than 150ml in volume. We both had to take our belts off as the metal buckle also made the gate beep.

Same on our way back to Barcelona from Madrid, at the Barajas airport, where I had the same scalpel with metal handle on my wallet and it didn't beep the machine.  :think:
The "security" is for show I think.  :drink:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:23 PM
I don't trust someone who only needs an IQ half of mine and functionally no accountability to keep me safe when I get herded onto what is effectively an escape proof killing ground.

Agreed--which is precisely why I choose to play by their rules, but still keep a very limited set of tools and supplies on me when flying which will make my life slightly easier if something unexpected happens.  You don't have to like what they do, but if you're creative you can still find ways to keep a few basic things with you while traveling.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 12:13:08 AM
With locking cockpit doors the knife issue should be moot. The last US administration tried to allow but several hysterical congressional representatives and the stewardess' union panicked and prevented it from happening. I have written everyone I know but it doesn't matter. I just keep trying and try to recruit others to write as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 02:23:19 AM
I have written everyone I know but it doesn't matter.

And it won't.

Most security processes are based on the political theory of "we must DO something". Even if mostly just makes sure everyone knows you're DOING something.

When I feel that way, I just reach for a Mountain DEW and drink something that looks like it should kill you. :P
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 02:27:38 AM
:

The "security" is for show I think.  :drink:

As a former security speSmurfpillst, I agree- it is for show only.  "Window dressing" as we used to call it, at least when we were trying to be polite about our terminology.

I will admit that airline security has gotten better, but it is still a show, and some like to make it a big show. 

I still don't take chances with them.  I have been arrested at one airport, then years later harassed at that same airport by an officer that caused all of the other officers to roll their their eyes.  All it takes is one officer to decide they don't like you while they are having a bad day and you are in a whole heap of trouble.

As far as I know, Leatherman has still never shouldered the legal burden of anyone trying to take a Style PS on a plane and being stopped.

I just can't help but think I'd rather err on the side of caution and not take chances.  If you have a problem with it, the security line at the airport is not the place to fight it- send your local political representatives a letter detailing how much you, the consumer and taxpayer hate paying excessive amounts to be treated like a criminal then herded into a metal tube like cattle.  I doubt it will get you anywhere, but at least your local politician isn't likely to show up at your door with a rubber glove and some cold lube.  At least, not until tax time...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%