Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK? SAST?

J-sews · 18 · 2915

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
SAK? SAST?
on: November 08, 2006, 04:14:01 AM
Hey! I just discovered this contraption while rooting through the junk drawer! I forgot I even had it. It was made by Wenger, and is some kind of a sewing knife.

(Although I hesitate to call it a Swiss Army Knife, as it has no knife blade. How about Swiss Army Sewing Tool?)  :-\

* SAST.jpg (Filesize: 35.29 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SAK? SAST?
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:41:19 AM
Hang on to that one as that model I believe is kind of 'spensive.  Wenger makes all kinds of specialty models for very specific markets, including my infamous toilet paper knife- and no, I am not kidding about that!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:06:28 PM
......including my infamous toilet paper knife- and no, I am not kidding about that!

You can't just drop a comment like that and walk away from it....give us more details!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 12:16:16 PM
It took a couple of months to get the little info I have on this one- in fact, my contact at Wenger had to find someone on the factory floor at Wenger in Switzerland who could ID it!

It is a special model made for an industrial janitorial company called Hygolet, and only about 400-500 were made.  In SOSAK we speculated for weeks on end that it was a rifle sight adjustment tool, a wrench for ski bindings for an elite mountain patrol unit etc.  One person suggested it was a bracket for holding little rolls of toilet paper.  Little did we know- he was closest!

Turns out that it is a key for opening paper towel dsipensers! 

Def

* Weird Wenger 004a.JPG (Filesize: 15.48 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 12:41:15 PM
Hah-ha, that is a funny story.

........it's also funny that a special "work knife" would include a corkscrew. Maybe there are more "perks" in the janitorial field than I was aware of?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 02:47:20 AM
This one actually has a bottle opener, main blade, nail file, reamer and corkscrew in addition to the toilet paper blade.  As for the "perks" of being a janitor, they just aren't as obvious here as janitors in NA tend to use flasks instead of corked bottles!

Def

Offline Peter Lezard

• Hobbit archer
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 02:47:01 AM
No matter how long I read about these crazy little knives they never cease to suprize me...  :o
F

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 03:42:18 AM
Here's another SAST I found. It also has a little LED light that comes on (brightly!) when you squeeze it.

* bernina.jpg (Filesize: 52.76 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 03:43:34 AM
I wonder if that one would be TSA legal?

Def

Offline Peter Lezard

• Hobbit archer
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 03:37:57 PM
I wouldn't try it.... They are programed to yank anything red, and it would end up on ebay... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :P
F

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 04:36:25 PM
Yeah, but then I could get a great deal on it from Tim! :P

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 05:04:37 PM
Seamstress Army Knives?

???
Yabba dabba doo!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 09:44:56 PM
What ever happened to this one Bob ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 03:46:39 AM
What ever happened to this one Bob ???

Whoa, you're digging into the archives Mike.  :)

To be honest, I played with it a bit that day, took some pictures, posted an article about it on SAKWiki HERE, then put it back in the drawer. Haven't really looked at it since. :-\

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 04:28:27 AM
IIRC,there were 2 different models of that;the one you have,and another model that was loaded with fewer functions.When I firat saw that,I pointed them out to Mrs Bison,she fell in love with it,and wanted one.The price at the time was on the steep side,I can only imagine how much more pricey they are now,if they can be found.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 09:11:36 AM
Thanks for the replies Bob's( :D) I saw a quest looking at it and thought it was due a revival :)

Those sort of things facinate me, these very job specific sak's :) and it's an area where Wenger really do rule the roost :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 02:40:53 PM
It is quite expensive (at least here: http://www.swiss-knife.com/asp/detail.asp?lan=EN&code=6.504.42.13&shop=SK)! I wonder if Tim ever carried this one...
-------
Alexei

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 03:31:40 PM
It is quite expensive (at least here: http://www.swiss-knife.com/asp/detail.asp?lan=EN&code=6.504.42.13&shop=SK)! I wonder if Tim ever carried this one...

Wow, I had no idea they were that pricey! :o  My wife actually bought the thing a few years ago as part of a sewing business we were running. (She is the J in J-sews) Guess I didn't realize this knife was such a premium item.  :)  It really is built quite well. Each and every one of the blades on it are very good quality. Typical of what you'd expect from Wenger.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%