Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loosening pliers on Swisstool X

Offline FRESHpalm

Loosening pliers on Swisstool X
on: January 07, 2008, 01:16:34 AM
Hi everyone!
So my dad has a swisstool RS and i have a swisstool X, they were both bought on amazon.com

His pliers open amazingly smooth and can be easiley butterfly opened with just a little bit of help from a hand...
Mine however are much more resistant and take some work to get out.
I have no idea why this is.
So first i put some silicone spray on the joints that i thought that it pivots on (silicone spray http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=36)

After that didnt seem to work i put some zoomspout all purpose oiler on it. http://www.bizrate.com/miscellaneousappliances/oid523981608__nwylf--.html

Whats troubeling is that this didnt work either...

I am very torn over this because i know it doesnt matter that much but i would realy like it to be smoother...

Is there anything i can do?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Loosening pliers on Swisstool X
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:28:55 AM
The SwissTool has a tab of spring-steel that rides along the backside of the plier pivot. Depending on how much pressure it exerts, or how rough the pivot surface is, the amount of friction varies.

If you've already tried lubricating this area, maybe try polishing the pivot surface with a dremel tool? 

* swisstool friction.jpg (Filesize: 59.64 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:13:16 AM
Yes, I agree with Bob. You should try to put a spray of Liquid Wrench Dry Film lubricant.. Works great and doesn't wash off! And it is really cheap only 4 bucks!
B

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:35:36 AM
Thanks for the picture!

Ummm which dremel head do you suggest?
Thanks
-Fresh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 02:55:57 AM
The safest bet is a cotton wheel, charged with a dose of polishing paste. Have you ever used the little container of reddish paste that comes with some Dremel kits? It shines up a surface nicely, without really removing material.

That being said however, it may not be enough. :-\ Good safe place to start though.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 03:03:45 AM
Ok, Ill try but if i dont have any of that polishing paste what else could i use is there any other alternatives?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:09:49 AM
Ok, Ill try but if i dont have any of that polishing paste what else could i use is there any other alternatives?

Hmmm...can't think of anything else really.

Absolutely DO NOT use any of the various grinding bits that are sold for Dremel tools! You don't want to do anything that will gouge or remove material. Just smooth it.

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 03:14:39 AM
Alright thanks!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 03:16:27 AM
Has anyone tried this stuff for moving parts?

http://nanolube.net/

Look on the products page for more info.

Calvin
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 03:31:41 AM

Hmmm...can't think of anything else really.

I have used toothpaste to loosen up the pivots on some of my riveted folding knives. It takes a while (@50 open close cycles to go from stiff to smooth) but it does work and is cheap and available. Just make sure to throughly wash and dry the tool when you're done. I use a hairdryer to dry off my tools after a thorough washing.

*May not work in this application, but if it does, let us know.  :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 05:42:29 AM
I wonder if yours and your dads are different  :think:  Early swisstools had the spring that sits on the flats of the plier heads and later ones had a lip on the spring and a groove on the pliers . Later ones are looser . I think your dads RS is a later version . I will try and post pics when I get home tonight .

Dunc

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 06:13:13 AM
Maybe...bend the metal tab back a bit...like a millimeter :think:
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 06:18:14 AM
Has anyone tried this stuff for moving parts?

http://nanolube.net/

Look on the products page for more info.

Calvin

Yes!  It is the slickest stuff I've ever used.  I use it for bare flashlight threads, as it is the best thing I've found to prevent galling on aluminum parts.  Even after you wipe it off, the nanometer-scale "diamond" bits remain in the pores of the metal and act as tiny ball bearings.  I used it on a SAK that had some liner corrosion damage, and it restored the factory action after trying every other lubricant I could think of with very poor results.

I highly recommend it.

However, in this case, I think polishing the tool with a dremel and jeweler's rouge is the best suggestion.
- Terry

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 11:05:49 AM
Maybe...bend the metal tab back a bit...like a millimeter

Maybe a bit less than a millimeter, unless you having something against friction altogether. :P

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 08:48:46 PM
Sorry but these pics didnt come out very well  :(  But you can just see what I mean

The Swisstool on the left has the grooves in the plier pivots which the springs sit in and is the newer kind while the tool on the right has the flats that the springs sit on

Dunc

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 05:12:59 AM
The funny thing is mine is the latter version on the left with the grooves so i have no idea why my dads is still looser...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%