Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wrench or Ratchet

Poll

Which do you prefer to carry?

Wrench and bit set
Ratchet and bit set

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Wrench or Ratchet
on: January 08, 2008, 06:04:29 AM
I've never handled either of these, so I was just wondering what the general opinions on them were.

And while we're on the subject, does the Swisstool sheath that holds the Swisstool and bit kit have a snap or velcro on the flap?
[

Offline TWBryan

Re: Wrench or Ratchet
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:14 AM
Other or neither. I'm gonna try the versa driver as an alternative. If that doesn't work I'll think of something else. What I need is a damn good belt pouch to hold everything I cart around with me...

TWBryan
T

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:36:52 PM
The ratchet is nice- far nicer than any teeny tool like it should be, in fact.

I think sheaths nowadays have velcro on them, but the snaps may still be available.  All the SwissTool sheaths I've had have snaps.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:47:25 PM
I don't have either, but I bought a Spirit Plus set for my dad for Christmas.  I was very impressed when I handled the ratchet set.  It has a quality look and feel.
- Terry

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:55:25 PM
well, i have both, and it's very difficult tho choose between the two.

Carlos
(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 02:11:46 AM
I've got both as well, and the choice is easy: get the wrench.

Surprised? So was I. The ratchet is indeed a marvelous little piece of engineering, but it has one major weakness; the hex bits slip right on through. It's almost impossible to use the phillips driver to loosen a screw with the ratchet. A phillips driver wants to "lift out" of the screw under torque, and you can't push on the ratchet to counter-act this, or the bit just pushes up into the ratchet. (hope that makes sense)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 02:29:49 AM
I've got both as well, and the choice is easy: get the wrench.

Surprised? So was I. The ratchet is indeed a marvelous little piece of engineering, but it has one major weakness; the hex bits slip right on through. It's almost impossible to use the phillips driver to loosen a screw with the ratchet. A phillips driver wants to "lift out" of the screw under torque, and you can't push on the ratchet to counter-act this, or the bit just pushes up into the ratchet. (hope that makes sense)

That's what it looked like it would do in the pictures...I coulden't see how you could get a firm "connection" with any screw.  Does the extension part help at all?

By all means please keep discussing, but I've made up my mind...I'm getting the wrench :D

As soon as my money transfer drops into my paypal account, I'm getting a Swisstool X with wrench and bit kit :multi:
[

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:46:40 AM
What J-sews says is true - the bits slip through.  But I always use the extension that my ratchet came with, & it always works well, so my vote is for the ratchet.  It's much easier to work something like a screw with a ratchet in this tool configuration.  I tried both extensively before I decided that.

Tom

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 02:51:46 AM
What Tom says is true - the extension would help. Unfortunately, mine didn't come with an extension, and Tim isn't able to get them. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 03:34:46 AM
My Spirit Plus came with ratchet and extension and the extension works perfectly in 2 configurations when plugged into the ratchet part: with the bit in the extension and using the ratcheting action, and with the bit in the tail end of the ratchet, using the extension for extra leverage. So, basically, the ratchet with the extension attached acts like a better wrench!
Alexei
-------
Alexei

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 05:06:19 AM
J-sews,

I got mine from Tim as part of a Plus kit (wrench/bits/sheath).  Maybe you'll have to go that route.

Tom

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 05:06:56 AM
Another thought.  Any short hex extension will work - it just won't match.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 05:17:15 AM
 I'm for the ratchet
I

Offline TWBryan

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 01:13:46 PM
             Well,it's nice to have matching sets and all. I'm still thinking function trumps form as long as it's convenient enough. I was looking at the Sabertooth pocket t-handle screwdriver,when I decided to try the versa driver. I'm sure there are more options out there.

TWBryan
T

Offline TWBryan

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 06:15:51 PM
Went out bumming around today,and found a decent alternative. Anyway it's something to look at.Here's crappy pic of the stuff in the package on my dirty work bench.

TWBryan

* craftscrew.jpg (Filesize: 73.62 KB)
T

Offline TWBryan

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 06:19:41 PM
And here's a crappy pic on my dirty work bench of the stuff outta the packaging. It's a magnetic bit ratchet from Sears,cost me ten bucks.The other two things cost I think three bucks each. And I still need a way to carry it all.

TWBryan

* craftscrew2.jpg (Filesize: 64.33 KB)
T

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 01:22:22 AM
Looks very serviceable.  I have a couple of those too.  They're only slightly bigger than the Vic, & have a lever to switch from clockwise to counter-clockwise which the Vic does not have.  Of course they don't have the additional bit holder in the handle.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 02:29:50 AM
   Yup that is a flaw,and the magnet in the head is not that strong. Still,not a bad substitute.
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD