Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swords.

Chako · 51 · 8333

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: Swords.
Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 02:24:12 AM
Chako, you certainly have quite the sweet collection there...   :o  :drool:

I keep my hauskarl's axe in the garage with my tools and other junk because I don't have any place in the house where my 3 y.o. daughter wouldn't find some way to get at it...  :ahhh

Once I get my CC paid down enough from the buying binge I was on this semester (Skele-CX, Work Champ, Endura 4, Stretch 2, Crunch, and more), I'd love to consider a well made functional and actually usable sword.  I'd honestly rather have something like a ninjato for home defense than a hand gun, again, because of the kiddo issues. 

However, I have to set other priorities first.  I finally talked my wife into letting me buy a new laptop, and a shotgun, so planning and budgeting for those have to come before anything else.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 08:08:12 AM
My sword is almost off topic compared to some of the nice items I see here but it's the only sword I have.It is a U.S. Civil War sword dated 1864.I'm in the process of finding more info and values because I'm not really a collecter and intend to sell it at some point.Any Civil War sword experts out there?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 12:21:31 PM
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:17 PM
Here is a good reference link.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcollector/marks/
Thanks.Lots of good info to get me started.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 04:43:11 AM
I just got my second order in.

I was so impressed with the Spangenhelm from GDFB, that I ordered two more, a Bellows faced Sallet, and a Crusader's flat top helm.

The quality and construction are just fantastic. I think they look good and make a great conversation piece.

I also ordered another sword, this time, a Hanwai Mercenary sword. I didn't take any close-ups of it yet, but its addition now means my wall display is now full.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Swords.
Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 04:55:27 AM
I've always wanted a genuine hand forged samurai sword. But at a cost of $10000 it will just have to be a dream ;(. I've held one in my hands before and I almost cried when I had to give it back.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 02:26:02 AM
Well I have been busy of late. I am trying to flesh out my small collection somewhat. I have on tap the following items.

1. Cold Steel Small Sword.
2. Hanwei Oliver Cromwell Mortuary Sword.
3. Hanwei Renaissance Side Sword.
4. Hanwei Tinker 9th Century Viking Sword sharp.
5. Hanwei Tinker Long sword sharp.
6. Hanwei Tinker Great Sword of War sharp.

In two separate orders. I can't wait to see them when they come in.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 08:10:11 AM
I've not handled all of them, but I can tell you that the side-sword will give you a good idea of just how light a real sword can be, it's an excellent piece for the money. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:59 PM
That is what I have read online as well Gareth.

You can tell I am also curious about the Hanwei Tinker line.  :think:

What are your opinions on them? I know you can buy them in blunt for martial arts training. I also know they have a hex key retention system to easily allow you to change the blades on them...not historical accurate by any means...but I would imagine it makes the line popular with the folks who use them as trainers, etc.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 06:09:39 PM
Sad to say I've never held one, so I have no opinion.  I would say that 35" is still a little short for a longsword, most originals would be a few inches longer, about 38" or so.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 06:43:52 PM
I just got my second order in.

I was so impressed with the Spangenhelm from GDFB, that I ordered two more, a Bellows faced Sallet, and a Crusader's flat top helm.

The quality and construction are just fantastic. I think they look good and make a great conversation piece.

(Image removed from quote.)

I also ordered another sword, this time, a Hanwai Mercenary sword. I didn't take any close-ups of it yet, but its addition now means my wall display is now full.

(Image removed from quote.)

The only conversation going through my head looking at that photo is "It's just a flesh wound!"

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 02:02:29 AM
Thanks Gareth. Well the online reviews seem promising from what I have read. I guess I won't know more until I have them in my posession.  :salute:

I got home and I have two packages to pick up tomorrow. AI hope one of them will be the first order.

Def, I try not to think about that.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:05:58 AM by Chako »

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 02:16:30 AM
I've always wanted a genuine hand forged samurai sword. But at a cost of $10000 it will just have to be a dream ;(. I've held one in my hands before and I almost cried when I had to give it back.

Yeah, after years of handling wall hangers once you get the real thing in your hand it's like, "My God... I had no idea!" I have a dif tempered katana in shirasaya that cuts well and looks the part but I know nothing about where it came from. Someday I hope to be able to afford a Howard Clarke L-6.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 02:28:43 AM
We'll call it a draw then.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 05:48:04 AM
Well I have been busy of late. I am trying to flesh out my small collection somewhat. I have on tap the following items.

1. Cold Steel Small Sword.
2. Hanwei Oliver Cromwell Mortuary Sword.
3. Hanwei Renaissance Side Sword.
4. Hanwei Tinker 9th Century Viking Sword sharp.
5. Hanwei Tinker Long sword sharp.
6. Hanwei Tinker Great Sword of War sharp.

In two separate orders. I can't wait to see them when they come in.

Those CS Small Swords are awesome... They can be extremely lethal in the right situation... Never actually used one myself, but I've handled one before, and I think it's certainly better than anything like a traditional fencing sword, even a rapier, which I think is about the best all around fencing sword except a small sword.  After that, I'd say a saber, but not for close quarters of course...  :D 

I've been wanting a close range sword for 'home defense' and I'd prefer a ninjato, because I'm much better with one of those than with any fencing sword.  I actually took a year and a half of Kendo when I was in college, but I can't afford a nice one right now anyway.  :(
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 03:31:51 AM
I just received my two packages and quickly took some photographs.

First up is the Hanwei Oliver Cromwell Mortuary sword. This sword was very expensive when I first spied it a few years ago. Happily, it has come down in price. This is my first basket hilt type sword, and I must say, I am very impressed with this one. There is a slight antiquing patina on the blade.

The scabbard is a very nice brown. It is a colour Hanwei seems to include with their antiqued items.

The hilt on this one is beautiful. I thought it was going to be ostentatious from the online pictures, but in reality, it is a bit subtle. The ray skin handle offers plenty of grip. The basket hilt is large enough to offer my big paws plenty of room.

Even the chap is decorative.

A closer look at that handle.

The back side of the chap has this small built in frog.

The blade is relatively straight and sharp.

Overall, this is one show piece that feels very good in the hand. The balance makes this one lively sword.

Next up is the Cold Steel Small Sword. This sword tends to rattle somewhat because the hand guard is pressed into a recess in the handle. It wiggles a little when doing some moves, causing a slight rattle. At first, I thought something was loose. After checking out the sword, I found out that there is a bit of motion in that hand guard. Nothing that would get in the way. I take it most of these have a slight rattle.

The CS small sword is tastefully decorated with a floral motif.

When I pulled the blade out, I was somewhat taken aback at the shape of it. I assumed it would be 3 equal edges much like a star...but it turned out the edges were offset. This blade is not sharpened, but that point is wicked.

A closer look at the blade shape.

Overall, the CS Small Sword is very quick, and agile. It is heavier than it looks however. Not so much as to but you off. The blade shape lends itself well to swishing around.

Next up is the Hanwei Side Sword. Now this sword is light and quick. The balance is very good to my untrained hands. What I do know is that this blade is easy to move around. It feels great in the hand.

Not only is this sword excellent in feel, it is a real looker also.

The oversized pommel may have something to do with its excellent balance. The grip is great also.

Looking at the blade, I can see how this can be a good cutting sword as well as an excellent thruster.

overall, the Hanwei Small Sword is a great piece. It is light, lively, and well balanced. It looks great as well.

Next up is the Hanwei Tinker Viking Sword. I was greatly curious about the Hanwei Tinker line. The Viking sword appeared very different from the rest of the line, and thought I may as well go for one of those to see what it was all about.

I quickly found out that my big hands didn't like that sharp and flat shaped pommel. It dug into my palms whenever I tried a practice swing.

It does look great however, along with the similarly decorated guard.

The blade is very nice, as is the scabbard. Holding this sword, you can tell this one is a chopper with the balance point located fairly forward of the handle.

Interestingly enough, this sword has a peaned pommel. No Hanwei Tinker hex bolt system that allows you to change blades quickly.

Overall, not the most comfortable sword out there. It does look great. The blade is flawless, and the sheath works great.

Next up is the Hanwei Tinker Long Sword.

I like its simple lines. This is one classy looking sword.

When I took the sword out of its sheath, I was blown away. This is so well balanced it is scary. It is also light for its size. This is a frightening sword in its abilities. Long reach with lightening movements.

The blade has a complex geometry to it. It is rather broad, but then tapers in sections until it comes to a wicked point.

The blade itself is rather well done.

This sword does feature the signature Hanwei Tinker hex key system to easily replace the blade. This sword also has a blunt trainer that is designed to have the same weight and characteristics of the sharp blade that I have here.  Good for Western Martial Artist I would think.

Overall, the Hanwei Tinker Long Sword is just awesome.

Next up is the Hanwei TInker Sword of War.

This one is similar to the Long Sword in size, but the shape is completely different. With that said, this one is also a classical beauty.

this sword features a broader blade with a spatula tip.

Overall, this sword is jaw dropping beautiful. The weight, shape, and balance are great. What i can see about the Hanwei Tinker line, they are light, lively, and completely the opposite of what most would think a big sword should feel.

Last but not least is the Hanwei Mercenary sword. This smurf sword or two hander (I haven't figured this out yet) features a nice thick grip that is very comfortable except for the roundness of the handles that causes the sword to roll around somewhat.

The pommel is a scent stopper type. The guard features gentle S shaped quillions. The blade is very wide with triple fullers. Unlike the Tinker Long Sword, this sword tapers gently to a point along the whole length of its blade.

Overall, the Hanwei Mercenary is an interesting sword. i had bought a few wall hangers in the past. One of them was an almost exact copy of this sword, only the blade was stainless and not carbon steel. On top of that, the wall hanger was super sized compared to this one. It didn't come with a scabbard either.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 04:48:21 AM
Figure I'd bump this thread and ask the question. Does anyone have an opinion on Hanwei Torino (or soligen) rapier? I saw some videos and the blade appears to be very whippy, but then again I know nothing about swords.

I thought about getting my first sword to play with, and currently looking at the torino rapier and revolutionary wall hanger.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 11:34:57 AM
Figure I'd bump this thread and ask the question. Does anyone have an opinion on Hanwei Torino (or soligen) rapier? I saw some videos and the blade appears to be very whippy, but then again I know nothing about swords.

I thought about getting my first sword to play with, and currently looking at the torino rapier and revolutionary wall hanger.

Yeah, sadly they are very flexible which I am not a fan of. :-\  This seems to come from a basic misconception about thrusting blades; that is that they are supposed to be bendy.  Now this is exactly what you want from a modern fencing sword (foil, epee or sabre) as it lets you hit people without hurting them or actually stabbing them. ;)  Most of the original rapiers I have handled have very stiff blades by comparison as it simply made stabbing people easier. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 11:38:27 AM
This is why I went with the Cup Hilt Taza. The blade is more indicative of a real rapier.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 12:04:47 PM
cool swords here  :tu:  i never really collected swords back in the 80's mainly knives , but around 85 i picked up a cavalry sword , i gave it to my uncle for behind his bar for decoration, sadly he passed away a week ago, im having the sword back after all these years, ill post pics hopefully soon  :tu:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 12:21:22 PM
Yeah, sadly they are very flexible which I am not a fan of. :-\  This seems to come from a basic misconception about thrusting blades; that is that they are supposed to be bendy.  Now this is exactly what you want from a modern fencing sword (foil, epee or sabre) as it lets you hit people without hurting them or actually stabbing them. ;)  Most of the original rapiers I have handled have very stiff blades by comparison as it simply made stabbing people easier.

Thanks, I was afraid that's the case, too bad I really like the look. The taza rapier is almost $80 more so a bit more than I'm willing to spend.

Boker has a very cheap katana, forged 1045 steel and only $60, maybe I'll get one to play with.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%