Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Quality B"

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
"Quality B"
on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:18 PM
I was reading the Victorinox catalogue, which includes a translation of what the streams of numbers for each model mean "0.62 00.2" means Blue Cellidor apparently, and "1.36 00." means no Lanyard ring, tweezers or toothpick.

Anyway, further down the page it has
"A" for "Victorinox Quality A"
"B" for "Ecoline Quality B"

I've never heard of this Ecoline Quality B option, so, like any good modern chappy, I bust open my search engine of choice and give it a a whirl -

http://www.coutelleriedupetitchene.ch/EN/SK/bestsellers/ecoline.html

- as you can see it is a .ch site, so this Ecoline could possibly be a Suisse thing only, but one wonders... and if we (or at least I) have not heard of it, are some stores flogging Ecolines as regular SAKs?

I have no doubt the craftsmanship is still superior to all the SAKKOs on the market, but a consumer must be paranoid and suspicious of all!

the Ecoline seems to include versions of popular 84 and 91mm models - such as the Climber and the Waiter etc.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: "Quality B"
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:54:14 PM
There have been  numerous economy lines over the years, but most are basically a cheaper scale (some have been nylon while others were plastic but without toothpicks or tweezers) and the implements aren't polished quite as much.

Otherwise they are the same build quality as the regular models, just not "trimmed" as pretty.  many folks prefer the nylon scales though as they provide more slip resistance than the regular cellidor.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:56:15 PM
Basically the ecoline is available in theory anywhere in the world, the main difference between them and the regular models is that they have nylon scales instead of cellidor, and where every normal sak is inspected prior to leaving the factory, only one in a hundred (I think) ecoline model get's inspected :)

Having said that, I've got quite a few eco sak's and the quality has been the equal to the regular saks :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:58:45 PM
Maybe Victorinox should make an "Economy" line of Swisstools and sell them at Wal-Mart at cheap prices.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:03:57 PM
Maybe Victorinox should make an "Economy" line of Swisstools and sell them at Wal-Mart at cheap prices.
Why mess with the greatest invention since the wheel :D

Seriously though, it might be a good idea to do a cheaper model that's smaller lighter and less feature packed than say the spirit, just to entice another type of consumer, (maybe office types)

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:04:25 PM
Basically the ecoline is available in theory anywhere in the world, the main difference between them and the regular models is that they have nylon scales instead of cellidor, and where every normal sak is inspected prior to leaving the factory, only one in a hundred (I think) ecoline model get's inspected

See, now I didn't know that, and that likely means local retailers are not openly advertising that some of their models are "ecoline" editions - I'm sure there is no laws forcing them to, but it is still deceptive and my goat is thoroughly got-on.

Does it say whether they are ecoline on the box or anything?
would ignorant consumers such as my good self ever get the opportunity to know better if it weren't for being members of forums such as these?

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:07:15 PM
Basically the ecoline is available in theory anywhere in the world, the main difference between them and the regular models is that they have nylon scales instead of cellidor, and where every normal sak is inspected prior to leaving the factory, only one in a hundred (I think) ecoline model get's inspected

See, now I didn't know that, and that likely means local retailers are not openly advertising that some of their models are "ecoline" editions - I'm sure there is no laws forcing them to, but it is still deceptive and my goat is thoroughly got-on.

Does it say whether they are ecoline on the box or anything?
would ignorant consumers such as my good self ever get the opportunity to know better if it weren't for being members of forums such as these?
Well all mine came in normal Victorinox boxes, but where it tells you the model, it does clearly state eco before the model, ie ''eco lumberjack''

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:08:20 PM
Well all mine came in normal Victorinox boxes, but where it tells you the model, it does clearly state eco before the model, ie ''eco lumberjack''

smurf! I just thought all my SAKs were enviro friendly!  :D

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:09:34 PM

Colorful Enunciation! I just thought all my SAKs were enviro friendly!  :D
:D :D :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:11:28 PM
Seriously though, it might be a good idea to do a cheaper model that's smaller lighter and less feature packed than say the spirit, just to entice another type of consumer,
I'd buy 5 of these. My ONLY gripe about the Spirit is that it's a little heavy for pocket carry. If they could trim it down to about 5oz but keep the most used tools I'd be shickled titless.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:14:25 PM
Seriously though, it might be a good idea to do a cheaper model that's smaller lighter and less feature packed than say the spirit, just to entice another type of consumer,
I'd buy 5 of these. My ONLY gripe about the Spirit is that it's a little heavy for pocket carry. If they could trim it down to about 5oz but keep the most used tools I'd be shickled titless.
I know what you mean, I dearly love the spirit, and in term's of tools per pound it's got to be top of the pile, but...it's no light weight, not an issue to me, but I can see it being one to people like you who choose to pocket carry :-\

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:21:15 PM
Quote from: DTH
My ONLY gripe about the Spirit is that it's a little heavy for pocket carry

Quote from: Mick
I know what you mean, I dearly love the spirit, and in term's of tools per pound it's got to be top of the pile, but...it's no light weight, not an issue to me, but I can see it being one to people like you who choose to pocket carry

Considering the nearest thing in terms of Tool List is the LM Core, I'd say it is doing well for itself.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:06 PM
I had read somewhere that the aluminum liners in the econoline models are not clear anodized (or "ALOX") like the regular models.  I read that on SOSAK at one point, but I'm not sure of the source--possibly Def will remember.  If that is the case, corrosion resistance would be greater on the regular models.
- Terry

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 11:23:54 PM
Oh it is, don't get me wrong, but although it's not actually that heavy, it does feel it, as it's weight is condensed into a pretty small area :)

Make's a good fist load anyway >:D

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 11:25:02 PM
I had read somewhere that the aluminum liners in the econoline models are not clear anodized (or "ALOX") like the regular models.  I read that on SOSAK at one point, but I'm not sure of the source--possibly Def will remember.  If that is the case, corrosion resistance would be greater on the regular models.
I think your right, but isn't the bit by the corkscrew, the only bit anodised anyway ???

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 11:25:28 PM
Considering the nearest thing in terms of Tool List is the LM Core, I'd say it is doing well for itself.
Oh it is. But a "minimalist" Spirit to compete with the LM Kick and other "pocket" sized models would be nice too.

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 11:35:55 PM
Going by the time between the Swisstool and the Spirit, maybe there will be a third model by 2010.

(Unless Def, in his infinite snoopiness has some secrets he wants to share with us? )

Offline TWBryan

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:42:32 PM
        I don't think Victorinox really needs to make changes to compete. We just need to see it offered more. Put the swisstool on the same shelf as a wave and see which one sells more.

T

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 11:55:28 PM
Probably still the wave.

Leatherman has more marketing and punters love the one handed blades.

While I'm here, people say the darndest things - http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/frontend.php/question?qid=20080106053428AAM7Wh1

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 12:20:03 AM
I don't think Victorinox really needs to make changes to compete.
They compete fine but more options are always nice. Like I was saying, they don't have a cheap basic model to compete with the "basic" multi-tools. I can pick a LM Kick up at Wal-Mart for 25 bucks. Victorinox doesn't have any multi-tools(except for their knives) that are even close to that price range. If they did I would be willing to bet they'd sell a buttload of them. ESPECIALLY if they advertised them a bit.

I love the big tools, I have an LM Supertool in my car and a SOG Powerlock 200 in my wife's car but I want something smaller for EDC. I dress VERY casual and often just have a pair of shorts on, even in winter. A sub 6oz tool is a lot easier on the pockets than a Supertool. I do carry a Spirit S but it is a bit heavy and compared to the Kick, pricey. The smoothness makes up for it though. I'm sure Victorinox could create something with similar tools but FAR superior to the Kick for about the same money.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 12:30:10 AM
Victorinox could probably do so,but I think with better pr they would outsell any other brand. BTW what's a "punter"?

T

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 12:34:41 AM
Victorinox could probably do so,but I think with better pr they would outsell any other brand. BTW what's a "punter"?

A punter is a customer.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 01:28:56 AM
I Have one of the quality b models on my keychain. They call it the Sportsman II. I paid 7 bucks for the thing at Big lots. I figured I would give it a try and I tell ya what the best 7$ I ever spent. I just wish I bought them all.

By the way It came clam packed. Is that how they did all the B's? :ahhh
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:23 AM
I have a quality B sak. The Sportsman II. it has the economy scales. To be honest, I don't mind the economy scales because they don't scratch up like the red cellidor ones do!
B

Offline kreskin13

Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 03:03:33 AM
This is crazy. I had never heard of this before but I just got one in the mail yesterday! It is a Climber and the first thing I noticed was the scales but thought they were pretty cool. I didn't think too much about it until I read this post. Sure enough, I looked at the box and it clearly says ECO. It's fine with me, the quality of the tools inside seems 1st rate. This forum is a great source of information!

Calvin
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 05:31:05 AM
 The nylon scales are also more resisitant to some solvents that would craze the cellidor,e.g. DEET.
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 05:45:22 AM
I have one of the Big Lots Sportsman II's also.  Mine's still in the clamshell--I bought it to give to someone unsuspecting.
- Terry

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 10:37:02 AM
Quote from: Nut
Mine's still in the clamshell--I bought it to give to someone unsuspecting.

No one expects clamshell packaging!?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 02:16:48 PM
Quote from: Nut
Mine's still in the clamshell--I bought it to give to someone unsuspecting.

No one expects clamshell packaging!?

LOL.  I didn't use the word properly.  I'd give the knife away as a unexpected gift.
- Terry

Offline TWBryan

Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 03:02:16 PM
          Put it in a nice chocolate eclair and give it to 'em. They really won't be expecting that.
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD