Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got Paracord?

Splat · 2375 · 319871

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: Got Paracord?
Reply #1770 on: August 09, 2015, 04:29:47 PM
What are you guys using to cut paracord with? I mean when you are finishing ends on a piece and can't use a knife. Is anybody using multitool scissors, etc.? I tried cutting one with my old Micra and I just mashed and mangled the cord...

By the way I think I may have no talent for this. Spent an interruption-filled hour farting around trying to follow directions for one stitch and I got something but it doesn't look it is supposed to.

Any recommendations for easy to learn stitches for lanyards?

I use Victorinox 91mm scissors for cutting paracord.  they work great for me.  then I use a lighter to singe them to keep them from fraying.

I recommend Tying it All Together  easy to follow and well done videos.  he has books as well at Amazon that are mainly just pictures showing step by step instructions.

check this one out as an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSewhzF5J44&list=PLXbBYv4UiyEoRpzBGDE5txE2cxE4QNPIs&index=15&ab_channel=TyingItAllTogether

+1 on 91mm Vic scissors

Also, it is just about practice, so you need to do the knots over and over again, and you will eventually get it, trust me, its the only way to go :)

If you want to start easy, I would go with cobra weave aka Solomon Bar, or Crown Sinnet, both have easily followed videos on Youtube
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:31:59 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #1771 on: August 09, 2015, 06:13:35 PM
RT had brought some paracord some weeks ago and we already used some to creat new shoelaces (the old one threatened to rip or actually did rip) and I tried to make a bracelet out of it. But it got so burly and big it would fall off my (and even RT's) wrist.
Today I used a tutorial out of a magazine called "Tactical gear" to make a bracelet.

The endings needs some more practice though:

I used up a little bit less the 3,5m for this bracelet. The knot to close the bracelet was the hardest part. This wasn't as clearly described as I needed it. RT had to search for an extra YouTube tutorial for that. And another part of the tutorial lacked mentions, as of what to do with a loose loop I had left at the ending.
After third try I finally made it.

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #1772 on: August 09, 2015, 07:27:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I didn't see any 91mm SAK that made me want to buy one (no Alox models in that size yet) so I guess I'll just try to find a good pair of scissors. That TIAT is a great resource. I saw that when I started looking into this. Somehow the videos seem simpler than they are and it's hard to use when you're actually trying something. I guess I will just keep at it like you said.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1773 on: August 11, 2015, 01:43:42 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I didn't see any 91mm SAK that made me want to buy one (no Alox models in that size yet) so I guess I'll just try to find a good pair of scissors. That TIAT is a great resource. I saw that when I started looking into this. Somehow the videos seem simpler than they are and it's hard to use when you're actually trying something. I guess I will just keep at it like you said.

Ok I actually got something done about an hour or so after this post. Will upload pics later when I can find the right cable.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1774 on: August 17, 2015, 04:55:03 PM
This is the first stuff I did. It came out ok, nothing great. It is all snake stitch which is real easy to do and I would recommend it for a beginner. I used it because I like the look of it but it turned out to be a real easy stitch.

Two of the lanyards have a 2 strand diamond knot finish and the other one uses a double Matthew Walker knot or at least my attempt at same. I have since cleaned up the cord ends on the pink lanyard. I am not gay btw, this was for my wife and it goes on the end of her keychain which is an aluminum carabiner.  I just didn't have a pair of scissors handy so I cut the ends with a knife at first but then I found some scissors and made the end neater and melted it. No more nasty burned look.

I am still having trouble getting the diamond knot where I want it on the cord but it actually worked out well since what I want to do is cow hitch these around my belt. Later on I need to figure out how to get the knot where I want it so I can do more decorative stuff.
01.jpg
* 01.jpg (Filesize: 250.87 KB)
02.jpg
* 02.jpg (Filesize: 314.36 KB)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:58:37 PM by rebel »
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1775 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:58 PM
To adjust the diamond you loosen the knot and move one of the strands up or down to even up the knot. Move both strands up or down to move the whole knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1776 on: August 27, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
To adjust the diamond you loosen the knot and move one of the strands up or down to even up the knot. Move both strands up or down to move the whole knot.

I know that and yet I can't do it ;)
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Pwscott

Reply #1777 on: August 28, 2015, 04:39:30 AM
I've mostly stopped weaving paracord; now I mostly just run it through my multitools and tie a figure eight knot in the end, and then, depending on how long a piece I used, I tie a few more eights or an overhand knot to make a fast lanyard or tail to make it easy to grab from a pocket or a tool organizer.

Sent from my Note 4

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #1778 on: September 07, 2015, 08:25:56 PM
A simple wrist loop lanyard added to a flashlight for this Labor Day's edc pocket duty, tied with #325 paracord attached to the pocket clip since the light itself doesn't have a lanyard hole, although I've also carried it without the pocket clip and tied a lanyard around one of the flashlight body grooves as an alternative as well...

Labor Day 2015 Pocket Dump by David Hopper, on Flickr

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #1779 on: September 07, 2015, 08:35:02 PM
Looks great SD!!!!!  Remind me what the knot on the end is please!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #1780 on: September 07, 2015, 08:37:21 PM
My little guy got a new pair of shoes and bag for the start of the new year of school, and well, we had to make them special, so I replaced all the zipper pulls with paracord a while back, but today I did the same with the shoes, he likes the black/red combo!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #1781 on: September 07, 2015, 08:48:29 PM

The finish at the end is a two-strand footrope knot, #783 in 'The Ashley Book of Knots'.  ;)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1782 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:16 PM
My little guy got a new pair of shoes and bag for the start of the new year of school, and well, we had to make them special, so I replaced all the zipper pulls with paracord a while back, but today I did the same with the shoes, he likes the black/red combo!
JR
(Image removed from quote.)

This looks way cool!  Love it.  :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #1783 on: September 07, 2015, 08:58:18 PM

The finish at the end is a two-strand footrope knot, #783 in 'The Ashley Book of Knots'.  ;)

:salute:  Thanks bud!!!! :tu:  I have a special knife coming that needs more class than my standard double strand Granny on the end!  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:00:03 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1784 on: September 07, 2015, 09:10:13 PM
JR

This looks way cool!  Love it.  :tu:
Thanks, I'm kinda jealous, I'd do the same but I don't have any shoes that are black.. :(
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1785 on: September 07, 2015, 09:16:03 PM
This little guy made out, he's also got his black bag that I took all the zipper pulls off and put red paracord, and I also made a mini dream catcher on for him..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1786 on: September 07, 2015, 09:38:33 PM
As we started getting things together someone else thinks he's in control of his bag! lol..
JR

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #1787 on: September 08, 2015, 03:08:48 AM
Still using scraps from Ashley. Recent fob for my Wave. these are 2 full bins of 6!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Got Paracord?
Reply #1788 on: September 08, 2015, 06:26:34 PM
I have been putting my 100' foot packs of paracord into these donuts you can just pull off what you need with no knots and they store nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:28:10 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1789 on: September 08, 2015, 06:29:26 PM
I have been putting my 100' foot packs of paracord into these donuts you can just pull off what you need with no knots and they store nicely.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1790 on: September 08, 2015, 06:53:58 PM
A little to much fiber for me. ;-) These are two paracord projects I have been working on. The bracelet has a fire starter/whistle buckle and ten yards of braided fishing line, two #10 hooks, four split shot weights inside the bracelet. Their are all so four small zip ties you can get to without taking the bracelet apart.

The second project is a lanyard I made for my keys.

Mike

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1791 on: September 09, 2015, 03:40:21 PM
Nice work, everybody! Mike, great idea on the donuts. My small paracord heap reminds me of fishing line. It tangles when you look at it funny.  I'll have to see if I can make up some of those.

I got to the point where I can move the 2 strand diamond knot pretty much where I want it. But I still can't use it as a wall knot since in able to get the knot to move there has to be some slack and then when I try to get it to sit right on top of another knot I invariably get a 1/8 inch or so when I finally tighten everything up.

Is there a nice looking 2 strand wall knot anybody can recommend?
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #1792 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:15 PM

I'm not quite sure what a wall knot is Sormdrane's knot might be what you are looking for. I all so like this knot.

http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives/16390018.php

Mike

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #1793 on: September 09, 2015, 07:02:31 PM
I like this one...

"Hoarder of weirdness,

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1794 on: September 10, 2015, 04:17:06 PM
I'm not quite sure what a wall knot is Sormdrane's knot might be what you are looking for. I all so like this knot.

http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives/16390018.php

Yeah I believe that is the regular Walker knot. I don't believe that nor Stormdrane's knot in the post above are wall knots. I don't know about anybody else but I have a much worse problem trying to get the Walker knot anywhere close to where I want even more than the 2 strand diamond knot which I'm starting to get the hang of.

I have web scripts blocked so I can't see the youtube videos normally. At some point I check interesting ones out but if somebody posted one for me and I don't answer right away that's the reason. Thank you and I should see it eventually.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

00 Offline rebel

Reply #1795 on: September 11, 2015, 01:10:25 PM
Sorry for replying to myself, I can't edit my post. Anyway, I'm still looking for some options in wall knots, knots that tie right up against another knot and don't require any slack to be pulled out from the side with the preexisting knot. Thanks for any ideas.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #1796 on: September 23, 2015, 08:39:05 PM
Re-learning the trade...

Double Button Knot

"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #1797 on: September 24, 2015, 08:05:03 PM
Keeping it up, Two Strand Stopper Knot... Not the best photo, sorry

I do like this knot a lot, its is quite easy and yet rather impressive :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #1798 on: September 25, 2015, 03:58:44 PM
A tip for all who are starting the paracord knotting/weaving as a hobby, keep one or two (preferably of different colors) 3ft/1m long 'practise cords' at your desk at all times, that way you can try out different knots and weaves while you spend your time at MTO :D
And it's easy to try out stuff you see on the Youtube videos, when you have the cord(s) readily available.

just my 2 eurocents...  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:02:14 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #1799 on: October 02, 2015, 03:50:56 PM
It's a friends bday, and my wife wanted to give her a little something so she asks me,
Her: could make her something,
Me: sure, what?
Her: How about a heart?
Me: Ok, what colors?
Her: Um purple? Red? Idk?
Me: I'll look,
Her: Ok, she'll be here in like 20min!
So now I got under 20min to grab everything, learn how to do, then make it! At least it was pretty easy, and to do it on the fly and under limited time,, the only thing that I'm not too thrilled about is the burnt ends, I didn't want to do double all the way so I burnt them and well, that's the finished project, it's just suppose to be like a mirror pendent..
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD
29%