Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Healthy lifestyle/ exercise forum?

Offline kreskin13

Healthy lifestyle/ exercise forum?
on: January 10, 2008, 12:07:14 AM
I got way off topic on roadies "Finally got a Fenix" thread into vegetarianism, pollution and such.

I know this is a multitool site and plenty of other sites cover these subjects, but this is where I like to hang out (cool people).

I would like to start a "healthy lifestyle/exercise section. I know I need some support to get healthier and some of you may also. I am way overweight, hooked on tranquilizers, anti-depressants and the cocoa bean. Thankfully I don't drink or smoke but I need to get out on that new Bianchi!

If there are any of you of like mind please weigh in. Opposing, but positive, opinions would of course be welcome. All this would make us live healthier and longer lives to enjoy our multitools even more!

Help me please and I will try to help you.

I gotta go now but please give me your thoughts or tell me to stuff it.

Calvin
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Healthy lifestyle/ exercise forum?
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:13:06 AM
I don't need to be healthy, I've got a friggin' multitool!  :multi:

I might leave this to the Jody-chanting military men amongst us.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:04:18 AM
I dont exercise much.  I work pretty hard at my job though.  I was 200# when I started and a year and a half later I am 170# no diets or supplemental exercise.  I like exercise but I would rather play golf.  I'll start riding my mountain bike again when I find a safe place to ride after I move out of where I am now.  Oh, Yeah, I almost forgot.  An exercise section might be cool.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:19:36 AM
I just think it might help some of us if we had some positive support from others to try and better ourselves. I could join a health forum but I couldn't then jump over and talk about my Surge or the pure joy it is to use anything made by Victorinox. We talk on this forum about music, books, cameras, all sorts of things life brings us but when you think about it it's all crap if you don't have good health. There is nothing wrong about a healthy environment either.

I think we have a "stuff it" from Nomad, but I appreciate the response.

Calvin

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:44:02 AM by kreskin13 »
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:12:11 AM
I've got a weight issue- minor by some standards but enough to bother me.  The middle age spread hit me around the same time I developed significant foot problems and resulted in some excess baggage.

I don't do much in the way of exercise, at least not as much as I'd like.  I do some time on the exercise bike, walk the dog and fight with drunks, but that's about it.  So, I've started eating less.  I don;t starve myself, but I've cut back my food intake by about 30%, and I don't eat until I am full anymore.  It's too soon to tell if there's any difference yet, but that's the direction I am heading in.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 04:14:14 AM
Maybe an official "Healthy Crap" thread would be a good starting point so you can get the ball rolling a little bit and get people talking. I too enjoy discussing a myriad of issues with the wonderful posters here but as it stands now I think an entire forum devoted to that may be a little much.

Although, it wouldn't be a bad place to hang out for me I'm sure I could learn a lot. I didn't even brush my teeth today.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:43:26 AM

Nah, I was just on my way out to door to work at the time, a one liner was all I had time for.

Summer and new year are my annual Get-fit rampage seasons (Autumn being my "Time to fatten up for winter" season, winter being Hibernation Season, and Spring being time to fatten up after winter! )

I was looking to acquire a new bicycle on the cheap, do a quick service, and have at the roads with the usual aggression of a just-quit-smoking-born-again-fitness-guru.

I say we all put aside a dollar for every 30 minutes of hard exercise (50cents for pseudo-exercise like walking, or hitting a little white ball while walking), and spend it all when we can afford a new multi!    :climber:

I didn't even brush my teeth today.
Kiss me, you animal.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:45:39 AM by Nomad »

Offline kreskin13

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:27 AM

Nah, I was just on my way out to door to work at the time, a one liner was all I had time for.

Summer and new year are my annual Get-fit rampage seasons (Autumn being my "Time to fatten up for winter" season, winter being Hibernation Season, and Spring being time to fatten up after winter! )

I was looking to acquire a new bicycle on the cheap, do a quick service, and have at the roads with the usual aggression of a just-quit-smoking-born-again-fitness-guru.

I say we all put aside a dollar for every 30 minutes of hard exercise (50cents for pseudo-exercise like walking, or hitting a little white ball while walking), and spend it all when we can afford a new multi!    :climber:

I didn't even brush my teeth today.
Kiss me, you animal.

Nomad, I like your thinking. Exercise for multitools!

Spoonrobot, "kissing booth" for multitools? :ahhh

Calvin
[

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:19:28 AM
Maybe an official "Healthy Crap" thread would be a good starting point so you can get the ball rolling a little bit and get people talking.

The greatest minds of the Online Generation have yet to solve the question of when a thread is too off topic to be acceptable within any given fora. (is fora plural of forum?)

There's no laughs in this post, quick!

would you have any Grey Poupon?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:23:17 AM by Nomad »

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 04:05:29 PM
I had 30 seconds of "exercise" this morning.  :D :D :D :D :D
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 04:31:17 PM
What's a healthy lifestyle? 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 04:59:27 PM

30 seconds, you stud!

Calvin
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 10:39:00 PM

Go easy mate! :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 11:19:32 PM
In all seriousness I think an exercise and/or health forum ain't a bad idea. I had kidney cancer last year and had my kidney removed the last of June. I'm just now getting recovered enough to where I'm thinking about getting back into exercising a little. I have to go easy as I have 3 bad disks but as out of shape as I am right now I'm sure I won't feel like jumping back into it hardcore. I don't have a lot of exercise equipment but I have enough. I have a bench and a few dumbbells. You can exercise almost any muscle with dumbbells and they're a lot cheaper than machines that can break down.

I also have a standing punching bag that I used to work too. I shattered my ankle in the Army and between that and my back running isn't an option. Going back there and punching and kicking on that bag for 30 minutes gets the heart rate up though. Plus it's a good stress reliever.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 11:22:59 PM
Punch bag's are excelent cardio vascula workout's :)

Have thought about cycling, it can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it, plus it's doing you some good and it's a great family activity too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 12:40:54 AM
Have thought about cycling, it can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it, plus it's doing you some good and it's a great family activity too
No, I'm pretty clumsy, when I was a kid I tended to fall off my bike a lot.  :oops:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 06:48:43 AM
I'm all for a health and fitness forum.....we all need encouragement at times to stick with a regimen,plus tips and advice on what works and doesn't work.
I

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 08:24:23 AM
If my favourite multitool forum and reviews site was down for a month I'd probably come back built and cut harder than the Thunder from Downunder boys!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 10:32:00 AM
I'm all for a health and fitness forum.....we all need encouragement at times to stick with a regimen,plus tips and advice on what works and doesn't work.

I can see right through you Bison. You want me to send you my new Bianchi!   :drool:   Very clever you are, but it won't work, it's mine, all mine. :D 

Lets try and make this happen. I like the idea of reading/talking some healthy stuff and then bouncing over and discussing  something about multitools, knives, flashlights, EDC, and even Defs kayak/u-boat. :ahhh

Calvin
[

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 11:39:54 AM
Actually, I've been meaning to get into kayaking a bit more.

My kayak sank (apparently Fibreglass repairs are not my special talent, Oh well. That narrows the field to clog dancing or guiding souls through the afterlife)

My home-made kayak had the other problem, and floated too well, with nothing below the water, it was unstable and challenging to get up to a functional pace.

With two respectable failures lodged firmly under my belt, I figure I'm due a moderate a success.

Oh wise and handsome leader, share your watersporting ways.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 01:34:06 PM
I kayak in the summer months- the lake is a little too solid to attempt it right now....

If you look at most kayaking websites they say that the best way to repair a punctured hull is with sponsor's stickers!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 03:32:49 PM
I kayak in the summer months- the lake is a little too solid to attempt it right now....

If you look at most kayaking websites they say that the best way to repair a punctured hull is with sponsor's stickers!

Def

For some reason that does not suprise me one bit.  It probally started as "dude I have a hole in my kayak, I wonder if these stickers from the shop where I bought this would patch it for the day." :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 03:41:45 PM
I wonder if that would be an interesting product to try and sell?  Really tough stickers, similar to duct tape for emergency kayak/canoe repair?  Hmm, you got me thinking about it now! :D

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 03:42:01 AM
I earned $2 towards my next multitool today.

Huzzah! (and yes, that means I have not done any dedicated exercise from the start of this thread until now. )

us Offline Splat

Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 08:04:50 PM
Exercise? What the frig is that?  :D

I can't wait until Spring gets here. Maybe this year I'll finally do a Century on the bike. Last year's high was 57miles, practically nonstop except for lights and stopping twice to buy a bottle of water.
Splat

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 08:07:43 PM
Calvin I think this thread is a great idea . I've thought about starting something similar in the past but by doing so I would be admitting I have a problem . I'm overweight , I smoke ( although none for three days , and I've really cut down ) , I drink  ( Hhhmmm Beer )  :cheers: And I dont exercise enough  :(  My grandmother had angina and my father had a ruptured aorta and I had cancer 12 years ago  :(  Now I written that the future doesnt look to bright does it  :oops:
  Of course I have the body of a God  :D  Just a shame its Buddha  ;)

On the plus side someone once said I move quite quick for a fat boy  :ahhh
   I'm not a total lard a*se and do get out and about and do a fair bit of walking on the beach , plus you should see me move when my pager goes off  :o
Thanks for starting this  :D  Perhaps its time we got out and started using them multitools .

Dunc
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:10:25 PM by dunc5 »

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:59 PM
Got to say I think it's a great idea I am looking to improve my fitness levels (the neds have the advantage of tracksuit and trainers a head start and the motivation of not getting the jail)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:07 PM
Why not just learn to throw your truncheon more accurately  :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 12:18:56 AM
Maybe as an incentive we should all post our weights every Sunday and see who is sticking to their diet and exercise!   :ahhh

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 03:21:39 AM
I'm a day late,but this morning I was 198.2
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00