Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZillaTool vs ZillaTool Jr

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
ZillaTool vs ZillaTool Jr
on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:18 PM
One of the complaints about the Zilla Jr is that the pliers are so small.  I decided to get the full sized Zilla Tool and compare it to the Jr, both subjectively and objectively, as an EDC tool. :)

First off, the ZillaTool is bigger, but honestly, it still fits very nicely in a back pocket.  The one thing about it:  It's wide.  Especially using the pliers.  So what about the pliers?  I was fairly disappointed with the full sized ZillaTool Pliers.  :(  For the bulk, they aren't that much bigger than the Zilla Jr:

Here the fullsized ZillaTool is compared to a Charge ALX pliers (you can see the Zilla Jr at the top):

By comparison, the ZillaTool is about the same dimensions as a Charge ALX, with much smaller pliers:

And the real kicker is, the blade is not THAT much bigger than the Zilla Jr, but you get a much bulkier handle to deal with:

So to me, the Zilla Jr is a better MT for EDC.  In fact, I've been installing a couple 3 way switches using the Zilla Jr, and it is quite competent.  The wire cutters aren't as good as a Charge, but completely usable.

As for the "Mistake" where CRKT didn't get the driver size right:  There is actually an easy fix (if CRKT were willing to do it):

Here are the two tools side by side, with the bit drivers showing

And a shot from the driver end:

All that needs to be done is manufacture a replacement driver part, that can be installed by the owner or CRKT:

It's just 2 screws and the pivot.

Fixing the driver would move the Zilla Jr into the elite tier of MT's, in the same vein as Leatherman's Juice, Freestyle and Skeletool lines.

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Re: ZillaTool vs ZillaTool Jr
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:37 AM
Thanks for the side by side pics :tu: gives me a better idea of them both now. Kinda interested in getting one after reading Kirk13's review here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33007.0.html shame about CRKT's bit saga :oops: still I :think: I'll go for the Jr :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 12:27:39 AM
I have mentioned a number of possible ideas for a "Zilla 2" but according to the designers, CRKT isn't interested in changing anything.  I would imagine it's the same thing with the Jr.

CRKT doesn't actually manufacture these things, and I think that's the big difference here.  If they manufactured things in house I think a change like this would have been done long ago, similar to the changes we see in the PST or SwissTools- no new fancy names or model numbers, just a continuing evolution

Of course the quick driver change option (which would not be able to be done by the user for liability reasons) you suggest wouldn't address the driver storage- either you'd still be carrying bits you could no longer user, or you'd have empty slots and no bits at all.  I think think this is the main reason why the Get-A-Way Driver came out- it provided not only an adapter but also a number of spare bits and the ability to use the pliers in conjunction with a screwdriver, which is an issue that only the SpydeRench/ByrdRench has managed to successfully address.

I personally feel that CRKT should have probably started packaging these two tools together because of this.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:25 AM
My complaint about the Zilla is not just that its big (because it is) but its so big for how few functions it has. Pliers, knife, bit driver, that's it. :-\ It's overall size-to-feature ratio is pretty poor. :-\ The Junior definitely works better for me. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:19:16 AM
Thanks for the insight and comparison  :tu:

The Jr didn't stop with me long, as it didn't fit into any role for me. Looks like big brother doesn't offer much extra of anything other than bit compatability  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:11:54 PM

The Jr didn't stop with me long, as it didn't fit into any role for me. Looks like big brother doesn't offer much extra of anything other than bit compatability  :-\

Even less in fact.  If one considers handle volume/knife length ratio, you end up with a lot more handle with only a little more knife.  For me, that makes for less precise cutting.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:01 PM

Even less in fact.  If one considers handle volume/knife length ratio, you end up with a lot more handle with only a little more knife.  For me, that makes for less precise cutting.

Oh right  :-\ I'll stick to my Li'l Guppie then  :D

Probably a silly question, but that's never stopped me before  :P Was the thinking behind these something other than just a multitool? I'm just thinking with those ergo's it's almost like someone tried to build something with pliers and screwdrivers (and quick deploying all black blade), which nicely protrudes either side of a clenched fist ... if you catch my drift :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 09:50:10 PM
Thanks for the head to head!The Jnr is a nice tool to use and easily pocketable,its interesting to see that its big brother isnt any major advantage.Overall its a bit of a shame as these little guys could be a really good package with only a little development
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:10:53 PM
with almost the same tool set, does anyone know how it compares to leatherman's Skeletool???
-----5hif7y-----

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 06:17:53 PM
For me, the pliers are a tossup.  I like the springloaded Zilla Jr pliers, but the Skeletool pliers open wider and have better cutters.  The Zilla Jr is better for making copper hooks for wiring outlets and switches.

I prefer the Skeletool PE to the Zilla Jr CE, but both operate absolutely smoothly.

The Driver on the Skeletool wins because you have the full line of LM bits.  Nothing but the Zilla Jr Phillips and standard driver bits will work in the Zilla Jr.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 09:54:07 PM
For me, the pliers are a tossup.  I like the springloaded Zilla Jr pliers, but the Skeletool pliers open wider and have better cutters.  The Zilla Jr is better for making copper hooks for wiring outlets and switches.

I prefer the Skeletool PE to the Zilla Jr CE, but both operate absolutely smoothly.

The Driver on the Skeletool wins because you have the full line of LM bits.  Nothing but the Zilla Jr Phillips and standard driver bits will work in the Zilla Jr.

Thanks from me too for the comparison and info.  I've been intrigued by the Jr. for a while, but as most have said, it doesn't seem to give much of a payoff in terms of use for the bulk/volume of the tool.

That said, as I was loading my EDC bag out of my drawer where I keep my rotation, I grabbed my CX and was admiring just how well designed it is.  I can't think of another tool in its class that I like better; I should have bought one a long time ago... 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%