Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The (Great?) Workout Thread.

AHB · 1085 · 55006

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
The (Great?) Workout Thread.
on: December 18, 2011, 10:09:53 AM
Since I quit smoking a little over two years ago I've been running 3 to 4 times a week and this winter I also joined a spinning class.
I've bought some winter tights, jacket and a Petzl E-lite headlight, so there's no excuse for not getting outthere eventhough there's cold and dark.. :)
Last winter I stopped running for two months and I literally had to start from scratch again.. :P

I'm seriously considering running a half Marathon (21 kilometers) next Septemper at the local event Limfjordsløbet.
Right now I'm running 9.5 km on approx 51 minutes, so my idea is to add a two to three Kilometers at a time and hopefully end up with the 21 KM.

So let's hear how people here workout and feel free to share any tips and tricks.

Here's yesterday route.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:58:22 AM by AHB »

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Re: The (Great?) Workout Thread.
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:43:39 PM
Damned Allan. That's hardcore for a old guy like you :P

I need to get my act together and start running again, been ages since my last workout and even longer since I took my last run.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 02:21:33 PM
You're way ahead of me AHB.  When I was in my mid 30's i would ride my bicycle about 2500 miles per year, but once I hit my 40's I became sedentary and now I am in my 50's looking for ways to avoid health issues and an early end to my story.

Reading "Younger Next Year" got me going on the right path. I'm working out 6 days per week, but I'm limited to walking for 1-2 hours per day because of the winter weather.  I would invest in proper cold weather bicycle clothing, but it is expensive stuff and, if things go according to plan, most of it wouldn't fit next winter. After the holidays we are joining the local YMCA so that I can add some variety to my cardio work and start lifting weights.

So far the most useful purchases have been a heart rate monitor, Endomondo app for my BlackBerry, and a LED Lenser L6.  The heart rate monitor is crucial because my focus is no longer on now many miles I have covered, it is on how long I've kept my heart rate in the target zone.  Encomondo I a very good smartphone GPS app that records your route, speed, distance and has some other features that help keep me interested during and after my workout.  The L6 is a very useful light for my night time walks.

AHB is that screen shot from your GPS, phone or computer? 

Congratulations on setting your goal of running a half marathon.  I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:37:40 PM
It's simply a screenshot from an online planner, where you draw in the route and fill in weight, time ect..
I have Endomondo for my HTC Desire, but I'm not carrying anything bigger than a MP3 player when I'm running. I might have to look into a heart rate monitor next spring though. :think: :)
Right now I have three different routes: 5 KM, 6 KM and 10 KM I'm switching between, so I don't wear my self out instead of building more stamina.

Damned Allan. That's hardcore for a old guy like you :P
Gee, thanks Kenneth..  :P :P
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:04:34 PM by AHB »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:35:35 PM
 :tu:
An excellent program (actually series of programs) are at www.halhigdon.com. training programs from 5Ks up to marathons.  I've used them and they work.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:47:17 PM
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 05:16:58 PM
I need to get into running again... It's been several months since I stopped.
I do push ups and pull ups a few times a week and I ride my bike to and from work. which is about 7 minutes in each direction.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:41:44 PM
I can't run these days, which is fine with me as I've always hated running!

Unfortunately due to the same injuries I have a hard time hiking, which is something I always enjoyed, so I stick to biking and kayaking these days.  Kayaking is something I can't do in the winter, but I have an exercise bike that I've been using 4-5 times a week for about 20 minutes at a time and I've also been working out with my Wii Fit fairly often too.  It's not really a great exercise, but it keeps you moving.  I'm also down to the 190-195lb range, down from the 205-210lb range a few months ago, and I haven't really changed my habits much, so I'm considering it a win.

In the new year I plan to get some weights and see about redistributing the weight from my mid section to more around the shoulders and arms!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:10 AM
I'm not in any sort of regular exercise program this winter (other than shoveling snow) :P But I am trying to eat healthier, and come springtime I'll get my bike back out :)

Good luck on getting prepared for the Limfjordsløbet event Allan! :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 12:34:22 AM
Wow!  Al, that's very impressive!

I am actually going to be starting a new diet and exercise regimen tomorrow.  I'm going home for the winter break and will have three whole weeks to be with my wife and kids before I have to start the spring semester.

In the last year, my wife has been simply amazing with her exercise and fitness routine... she's gone from 205 to 145, and is now able to do as much as 6 - 8 mi. in a single run.   :o

At first I felt very intimidated by her wanting me to start exercising with her, considering how much progress she's made with it now, but we've talked about it a lot and she's been very supportive about helping me with it. 

So, I'm getting myself a new fitness attachment for my iPhone (http://www.wahoofitness.com/) that will work with the gym equipment here at my college to record my exercise sessions, and an app that will log my exercise and share it with my wife (http://www.mapmyfitness.com/imapmy/iphone/).  It also has a calorie tracking function in it as well.

So this is it!  Today is the last day where I let myself continue to waste away in my office behind my keyboard.  When I was in my early 20's, before I started college, my great aspiration was to be a professional cyclist...  I rode as much as 200 mi. a week and had a resting heart rate in the low 40's.  I miss being that strong and fit...  I know I'll never get back to the same level as when I was 23 (exactly half of my life ago), but I know I can make a lot of progress towards losing weight and getting back to a decent level of fitness. 

Thanks for posting Al... I appreciate knowing that what I want to do isn't impossible.  :)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:51:01 AM
Heinz,

Set realistic goals.  If running, start out with 10 minute mile for 5K.  If you hit that target, drop it by 30 sec until you can't meet it.  Use that as your baseline and shoot for 10/mile improvement increments.  LISTEN to your body.  If you have chest pain, can't catch your breath or experience nausea, see your doc before continuing.  Any of those can be cardiac symptoms.

Good luck!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 05:15:38 AM
Heinz,

Set realistic goals.  If running, start out with 10 minute mile for 5K.  If you hit that target, drop it by 30 sec until you can't meet it.  Use that as your baseline and shoot for 10/mile improvement increments.  LISTEN to your body.  If you have chest pain, can't catch your breath or experience nausea, see your doc before continuing.  Any of those can be cardiac symptoms.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'm gonna try.  The trick is going to be finding the balance point between working too hard and not hard enough, I think...  even as overweight as I am now, I can still go for a good distance if I don't push too hard... I just end up going slower as a result.  What I mean is, I can hike 10 mi. in rugged terrain with a heavy pack no problem, it just takes me a lot longer than it used to.

Right now my plan is to try to do 30 min of basic cardio three times a week.  I'm going to give myself a few days to get a feel for how hard I can push myself without it being too hard.  Everyone says a heart rate monitor isn't necessary for getting back in shape, but I think it will help me find the level I need to be at to be pushing myself, but not pushing too hard.  And, heart rate monitors are pretty affordable now too, so I think it'll be a worthwhile investment.  Wahoo makes one that goes with their wireless key that's very affordable, so I think that's the one I'm going to start with.

So tomorrow is officially it!  I'll be back home with my wife and kids tomorrow night, and I'm going to be doing the best I can to log everything I eat, and keep my total calories for a day below 2,000 and to get the 30 min. of exercise 3x/wk.  My wife said she'd "go totally Richard Simmons on your ass"... :o 

Wish me luck! :)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 12:46:12 PM
A heart rate monitor is critical to a successful exercise plan because it is one of the only objective ways to measure the effort and gains that you are putting into your cardio workouts.  I also like having one because it gives me something to help occupy my mind during longer activities.

Does the Wahoo unit turn your phone into a HRM?

Tick Magnet

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:48:03 PM
I hate running, so right now I mostly stick with resistance training in the basement. I try to do it everyday, but sometimes I get lazy and skip it, and skip one tend to lead to skip the next too.  ::) Right now I'm going with 120 push ups, 36 pull ups, 50 abdominal crunches, 100 squats and some other things per day, and hopefully will get to class 1 in the SEAL fitness test one day.

As soon as we get some f-ing snow though I'll hit the hills, which I enjoy a lot more than running.

Dunno about wahoo, but there are apps that will by using the camera on your phone. I tried it but thought it's useless, you can do the same thing in the same amount of time by counting your pulse. This sorta holds my attitude toward all the exercise related plans/gadgets, human managed to stay fit for thousands of years without them, why start now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:51:18 PM by jzmtl »

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 05:52:00 PM
I've stopped going out on my bike as its dark and cold but when it ges lighter I'll be back out doing my 18 mile route :) at one point I was doing it almost everyday
I

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 08:40:34 PM

Dunno about wahoo, but there are apps that will by using the camera on your phone. I tried it but thought it's useless, you can do the same thing in the same amount of time by counting your pulse. This sorta holds my attitude toward all the exercise related plans/gadgets, human managed to stay fit for thousands of years without them, why start now.

I am somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to exercise accessories, but  I have to disagree with you.  Some gadgets allow you to have more accurate information and deliver it with less intrusion into your workout. 

Take an HRM for example.  I can lift my wrist and know in a glance if I am in my target zone.  To take my pulse I have to stop what I am doing and hold still for ten to fifteen seconds while looking at a clock or watch. 

Another example is a bike computer.  After riding for a few years I upgraded to a unit that had a cadence function.  Why would I need that?  I had been riding in excess of 2000 miles per year.  Surely I could tell how fast I was peddling just by intuition and experience.  After having the new computer I found out that my perception of my cadence was off by up to 10 rpm. 

As for humans staying in shape for thousands of years without any plans/gadgets, well, they didn't need them because life made it unnecessary. The worked very hard ever day at just staying alive.  They didn't need motivation or knowledge about their bodies to keep fit.   Today on the other hand we have not only the opportunity to be sedentary, but are required by our jobs to be sedentary for a good part of every day.  We need a plan to get and stay healthy.  The gadgets we use make our plans and our exercise routines more effective and more enjoyable.

But, as usual, its a personal matter.  I like gadgets, you don't and we are both better off for exercising and striving to be more fit.
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 09:45:24 PM
Nice one Nate..  :tu:

I just signed up for running 14km on a local event the 31 dec. at 10.30 am. The route is show in the bottom of this page: Click:)
I'm probably gonna need a good rest afterwards before the guest are arriving to celebrate New Years eve at our place..  :D

I've made a 12.5 km route I'll run after work tomorrow, so I think I'm gonna be ready for the challenge..  :)

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 04:03:23 AM
I injured my back on Monday, but still managed to walk 3.5 miles on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I start out walking kind of slowly with a stoop, but by the end of the walk my back is loosened up and walking more erect.   
Tick Magnet

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 04:35:50 AM
I just finished 20 or 30 k

Except I was strapped on two planks while gravity did the work.  :P Legs still sore though, going to take a few more hours to get in the mode.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 07:29:40 PM
Thanks to this thread I jumped in my running shoes when I got home from work and ran 13km eventhough it was a bit windy and rainy..  :) I had to try how it feels before taking the 14 kilometers event on the 31. But it went rather well today.. :tu:   

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:32:51 PM by AHB »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 08:20:14 PM
That's excellent!  Looks like about a 10min mile pace. 

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 10:58:44 PM
Update. My legs hurt a bit..  :D :D But if everythings goes well I'll take the same route again on monday..  :) I'd better not eat too much the next couple of days.. :think:  :ahhh

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 04:13:34 PM
Slight change of plans so only 6 KM monday, but I ran 13 km (8Miles) in 1h 11m 34s earlier today.. :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 04:31:25 PM
Slight change of plans so only 6 KM monday, but I ran 13 km (8Miles) in 1h 11m 34s earlier today.. :)

That's a sub 9 mile.  Excellent run!

us Offline David

Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 06:18:50 PM
I stopped working out in 2007.  When I did workout I used the FitDeck for a PT and walked five miles on a regular basis. I didn't need much strength just conditioning and endurance. My present job sucks the life out of me because of the irregular schedule and hours plus my knees have seen better days. Never was a jogger. Tried it once years ago and just didn't like it. But I drank a lot in those days so jogging had to go. I was young and strong and didn't really see the need at the time to workout any way. Things change we get older and jobs change so in 2003 when I was traveling a fair amount I found myself in soft condition. I started walking which I've always done to some extent and found the FitDeck which would allow me to be able to workout no matter where I was as you done not need much room. I started slow and worked up. Now I`m soft again. My knees could probably handle a mild workout but an old hernia starts to hurt when I do so I stop as I dont want rupture that thing again.

Dooes any one here do the CrossFit workout?

I bid you all Godspeed in your workout and hope it goes well with you.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:14 PM
I'm just home from"AMOK"s New Years running event.  :)

Now it's just getting ready for tonight.. :cheers:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 12:51:18 AM
I need some new year kick up the backside. I love the idea of running but have a right knee that hates it.

I take part in a spin class between 1 and 3 times a week and use the gym for light weights and CV between 1 and 3 times. Just depends on shifts and family time how oftern I go.

+1 on HRM , one of the best tools out there.

My goal next year is to find enough time to train and complete a marathon on an indoor rower (conceptII). I did a half the year before last, took some trainning, but was great feeling to complete.
Most people at the gym just use a rower to warm up, so thay think I'm a bit mad sitting there for so long.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 04:36:15 AM
I've lost 40 pounds since mid October.  :o  :o  Another 100+ to go and I'll be all set.  :rofl:  I've been eating well and exercising  as much as possible. I feel better than I have in years. I was totally addicted to sugar and it was killing me.  :-\
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%