Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The (Great?) Workout Thread.

AHB · 1085 · 55004

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: The (Great?) Workout Thread.
Reply #60 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02:02 PM
I recieved my package from an internet shop with new gloves, socks, Gel insoles and this hydration belt. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow..  :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #61 on: January 16, 2012, 08:27:44 PM
I recieved my package from an internet shop with new gloves, socks, Gel insoles and this hydration belt. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow..  :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Let me know what you think of that hydration belt.  I prefer camelbak style hydration systems (either backpack or belt).  They seem to jiggle and waggle less.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16:52 PM
Let me know what you think of that hydration belt.  I prefer camelbak style hydration systems (either backpack or belt).  They seem to jiggle and waggle less.
I took it for a 10km run after work today and it fits me perfect.. :tu: I'll probably just use it with one bottle until summer, cause I didn't drink enough to justify carrying two or three..  :) I also installed Endomondo to keep track, but it didn't register the route just the time spent so I uninstalled the damn thing again.. >:(

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 04:15:10 AM
Endomondo has been working well for me.  I've used it 57 times since November 13 and have only had one workout route recorded inaccurately.

Tonight was another windy, snowy walk.  1 hr 12 min but it was 25 F so it wasn't as cold as it was a few days ago. 

I would embed the route and statistics here, but I don't know how to do it.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/oID1Exocv9M
Tick Magnet

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 12:29:32 AM
I've lost 40 pounds since mid October.  :o  :o  Another 100+ to go and I'll be all set.  :rofl:  I've been eating well and exercising  as much as possible. I feel better than I have in years. I was totally addicted to sugar and it was killing me.  :-\

I hit the 50lb mark.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 02:54:12 AM
Congratulations on the 50 lbs Gadget.  That is a nice milestone to pass.
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 09:37:05 PM
Good job John..  :salute: :salute:

I took some time to figure out Endomondo and I have to admit that it's really a great app.
I tracked todays 14 km run here.: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/34982409?ref=nf
Definitely gonna use it regulary from now on.. :)

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 10:12:35 PM
Nice work John. Well done indeed !

Today after work went like this

10 mins brisk walk through town to gym
25 mins on X biking  -http://www.trixter.net/X%20Biking
2000m in 8 mins 40 secs on concept II in door rowing machine
Weights set:
Leg press
chest press
lat pull down (back)
shoulder press
bicep curls
tricep pull down
A few stretches
10 mins walk home

I have to admit I thought the X biking was a gimick when I first saw it. But one you get used to it it's great fun. With the LCD screen in front you become really involved in the riding. Every time you win a race it opens up another track. They also have two bikes and you can set them up to race another person, which I've been told is really good fun.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 06:33:33 PM
Bumping this thread up by bragging about a recent purchase.

I unexpectedly had some extra cash become available an my wife generously told me to buy something for myself.  Since I am focusing on fitness I decided to buy some workout aids.

The LG Tone HBS-700 Bluetooth Stereo Headset will replace my wired Sennheiser headset.  When I am walking or riding I prefer to hear the noises around me, but when I am lifting or using a piece of cardio equipment I like to have some music to keep me moving.

Endomondo has been a very useful app for keeping track of my progress in my workouts.  When warmer weather comes around I'll want to use my smart phone on my bike and this mount will make that possible.

Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 06:46:52 PM
Nice gear mate..  :tu: :tu:

I ran my best 6 kilometers in 31min 01sec earlier today.. :)
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/37283504

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #70 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:48 PM
Nice work Allen. 
Tick Magnet

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #71 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:17 PM
I just joined my local gym three weeks ago, and I've been going 3 times a week.  I got into the Elliptical machine and I love it!  All my clothes are starting to feel better!

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 02:25:25 PM
Nice to hear that you are seeing results already Merc.   

Did the elliptical feel awkward to you at first?  I feel like the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz when I am on one of those machines.
Tick Magnet

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 03:01:16 PM
Nice to hear that you are seeing results already Merc.   

Did the elliptical feel awkward to you at first?  I feel like the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz when I am on one of those machines.

:rofl:

Yes, that is exactly how it felt at first, and I could only do 5 minutes the first day(last tuesday) before my legs wore out.

Today I did a breezy 25 minutes and had room for more!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 07:36:00 PM
Hey guys.  I bought a membership at the Y here where I'm working in Iowa right now at the beginning of January, and have bee going two or three days a week, every week, since then.  I'm using the treadmill and exercycles regularly, 30 min. each time.  I stretch while I'm cooling down as well.  I'm planning on starting in the weight room with some light workouts in the next week or so. 

I've also been watching my diet too.  Cut out 90% of the crappy food I used to eat, having more veggies and protein, less carbs, and just eating less overall.

It's working!  Back at new year's I was 254.  Weighed myself yesterday after my treadmill session and with clothes on (thank goodness!) I was 243!  Woohoo!!!  11 lbs. in 6 weeks!  Yippee for me!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:15 PM
It's working!  Back at new year's I was 254.  Weighed myself yesterday after my treadmill session and with clothes on (thank goodness!) I was 243!  Woohoo!!! 11 lbs. in 6 weeks!  Yippee for me!

Whoa, good work buddy.. :o  Keep it up.. :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 08:02:25 PM
Hey guys.  I bought a membership at the Y here where I'm working in Iowa right now at the beginning of January, and have bee going two or three days a week, every week, since then.  I'm using the treadmill and exercycles regularly, 30 min. each time.  I stretch while I'm cooling down as well.  I'm planning on starting in the weight room with some light workouts in the next week or so. 

I've also been watching my diet too.  Cut out 90% of the crappy food I used to eat, having more veggies and protein, less carbs, and just eating less overall.

It's working!  Back at new year's I was 254.  Weighed myself yesterday after my treadmill session and with clothes on (thank goodness!) I was 243!  Woohoo!!!  11 lbs. in 6 weeks!  Yippee for me!
Well done!  :clap:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #77 on: February 09, 2012, 08:18:37 PM

Awesome results HD!!!

I cut out soda, not for my weight but for my teeth.  It was eroding my enamel and I now face a $2k procedure.  Since dropping soda, I have lost bloat inches, meaning my pants all fit!!!

I've only lost about 4 pounds since starting, but I had a naughty superbowl weekend so it set me back. 

4 months ago I was 240, I'm now 229.  I had lost a little a while back so it kinda counts.  If I can get below 200 I will be thrilled, as I have quite a bit of muscle left over from powerlifting in Highschool and college.  I think I can do it pretty swiftly, but the diet will be the key.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #78 on: February 09, 2012, 09:59:56 PM
Great Job Heinz!  Have you found that you spend more or less money on healthy food as compared to crappy food?
Tick Magnet

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: February 11, 2012, 05:53:09 AM
Thanks guys!  :)  I did my third session of the week tonight in the gym at the Y.  I've scheduled three per week in my calendar since the beginning of the semester, but this is the first time I've made all three.

I'm spending a lot less on food now overall.  One thing I've done is buy a faculty meal plan for our dining hall, and that has helped both with the cost, and with changing my eating habits.  I eat a lot more fruit now than I used to.  I usually sneak a couple or three things out with me... an orange, apple, banana, etc. and have been having that as snacks when I'm working late in my office, instead of the cookies, chocolate milk, etc. I used to eat way too much of. 

I also have a policy of having a salad before I eat anything else.  We've got a nice salad bar, so it's always my first stop.  I let myself have a little cottage cheese, or shredded cheese, and some bacon bits, but other than that it's all lettuce and veggies.   That helps me feel full, keep my calories down, and so when I get something more substantial, I'm already more than half way full.  And I've been avoiding the high carb food too like pasta, pizza, and so on.

I have been letting myself have a little something every now and again though.  There was a bake sale fund raiser by the biology club last week, they're raising money for a trip to Brazil for field studies, so I spent a couple of bucks on a couple of cookies.  I've been letting myself one soda every couple or three days, not the one or two a day I used to have. 

So I am both eating less and eating healthier, and overall, spending less money on food.  I have five more weeks until I get to go home for a week for spring break, and I'm hoping to surprise my wife with my weight loss.  She's been amazing at that the last year and a half or so.  When our daughter turned two the summer before last, my wife was over 200 lbs and the extra weight wasn't coming off for her as easily as it did after our first child.  Fast forward to now, and she's 145 lbs!  Only 5 lbs more than what she weighed when we met!  It's been a struggle for me to do this, but now I'm getting in the groove, and it's working.  :)

Thanks for the congrats guys.  :)  I appreciate it.   :angel:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: February 11, 2012, 09:51:54 AM
Nice work Heinz! Keep up the hard work, and thanks for sharing how it's going.

I'm off to the gym soon. Should have been a spin class this morning but couldn't get in, I was no7 on the waiting list! What a popular class, 23 bikes and at least 7 waiting to see if they can get in.

I wasn't feeling too keen to go to the gym this morning, but having read this thread whislt eating breakfast, I ready to make the effort. Cheers eveyone!   :cheers:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: February 11, 2012, 12:36:46 PM
Wife's working this weekend, but as soon as she's home I'm off for a run.. :)

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #82 on: February 11, 2012, 04:48:17 PM
The plan I am following calls for weight lifting twice per week, but even though I've been exercising since Nov. 13, I haven't been lifting.  This week I had a session with the trainer at the Y to develop a weight lifting routine.  I'm glad that I met with him first.  Lifting for general fitness and health is much different than the weight lifting I did in school to enhance my football performance.  The workouts will be shorter and much easier on my body.   
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:07 PM
I still follow the program and run 3-4 times a week, but in the last week I have been drinking Earl Grey tea (straight up, no sugar) instead of coffee..  :o :ahhh I've always been drinking at least 8-10 cups of coffee a day, but now it's just one or two cups in the morning before work and then it's tea for the rest of the day. :) I have a feeling that it's actually healthy/good for the circuit in some way, but I guess that what's coming out of hanging aorund all those Brits around here..
:hatsoff:  :D

(btw. It's nearly 29 months since I quit smoking, but who's counting..) ;)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #84 on: February 18, 2012, 05:33:15 PM
I basically quit soda, down to one can a day which is huge for me because I used to drink at least 10 a day.  It was eroding my teeth so I had to quit, but it really helped with my personal image because soda bloats you something awful and I hadn't realized that. 

I have been working out with weights and cardio 3 to 4 times a week for three weeks now.  Officially down 7 pounds but I have a feeling I have lost more but it is masked by muscle gain.  My pants are practically falling off, I can pull them down if they are fastened now, I really need my belt, and it's getting loose and may need another hole in it soon.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: February 19, 2012, 12:27:00 PM
Beautiful weather this morning and I felt up to it, so I decided to try running a half Marathon.
21,1 Kilometer in 2h:03m:22s.  :)

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/38495387

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #86 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:24 PM
cycled about 35 miles earlier now all i want to do is sleep!
I

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:04 PM
I love this thread, keeps us all going!

Friday I went to the gym, 1/2 hr CV+1/2 weights
Sat Spin class 45mins
Today gym, 1/2 hr CV+1/2 weights
Tomorrow Spin 45mins

I also need to cut back on some foods, increase other foods  :ahhh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:23 PM
Beautiful weather this morning and I felt up to it, so I decided to try running a half Marathon.
21,1 Kilometer in 2h:03m:22s.  :)

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/38495387

Congrats Allan! :tu: Is that your first half marathon? :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #89 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:26 AM
Well done Allan.  I can't think of anyone that I know that would decide to run a half marathon on a whim.  That is impressive.

Tick Magnet

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD