Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The (Great?) Workout Thread.

AHB · 1085 · 56970

ph Offline carboncopy101

Re: The (Great?) Workout Thread.
Reply #810 on: May 28, 2017, 03:37:56 PM
Same. I'm kinda annoyed by those who hog equipment. It's ok if you superset but sometime their "superset" is the whole gym. lolol. Those who don't take out the plates and put them back really piss me off too. They have the audacity to lift it but don't have the energy to put it back? I always see people asking around who uses the barbell in the racks only to find out the one who used it already left.  :facepalm:

I notice though that those who do this are the ones who go to the gym sporadically. The regulars here understand courtesy which is really nice. Also if someone is using the machine all you need to do is ask to alternate. It's nice since it its efficient and there's nothing wrong with asking. Well, ask when the one doing the lift is resting
 :D

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #811 on: May 28, 2017, 04:18:44 PM
Some of the people who leave weights on the bar or all over the place are regulars. Even some personal trainers do it. So we just start yelling that their mothers don't go to this gym

In other news, I think it might be time for olympic weightlifting shoes
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #812 on: May 28, 2017, 05:03:23 PM
Really? Woah that's too bad, isn't it common courtesy?

Oooo! Never really invested on weightlifting shoes. Is it worth it? I use an old converse for gym.

hr Offline styx

Reply #813 on: May 28, 2017, 06:16:16 PM
Common courtesy, much like common sense, is so uncommon that it is a damn superpower.

Well they do help with squats and overhead pressing. For deadlifts it depends on the person. Since I'm getting really into the olympic lifts and my converse are starting to fall apart they are a worthwhile investment. Although it isn't a step to take lightly as the cost is high.
Actually I've noticed 2 extremes when it comes to footwear. Some people will spend all sorts of money on functional and not so functional (often more fashion statement) apparel, wraps, straps, bands, rollers and supplements but will insist on doing everything in running shoes. While others will invest in belts, shoes, wraps and straps a bit prematurely and will insist on wearing 'em for everything from warming up to the very last rep of those 20x20 curls

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #814 on: May 29, 2017, 03:42:57 AM
All reasons I chose to invest in home equipment.  And by invest I mean convince family to all go in on a Bowflex many years back ;)  I've bought weights myself over the years, so between those and the Bowflex, I have my own little gym.

Proud SAKMC member :)

K-Tibbs

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #815 on: May 29, 2017, 04:42:45 AM
Common courtesy, much like common sense, is so uncommon that it is a damn superpower.

Well they do help with squats and overhead pressing. For deadlifts it depends on the person. Since I'm getting really into the olympic lifts and my converse are starting to fall apart they are a worthwhile investment. Although it isn't a step to take lightly as the cost is high.
Actually I've noticed 2 extremes when it comes to footwear. Some people will spend all sorts of money on functional and not so functional (often more fashion statement) apparel, wraps, straps, bands, rollers and supplements but will insist on doing everything in running shoes. While others will invest in belts, shoes, wraps and straps a bit prematurely and will insist on wearing 'em for everything from warming up to the very last rep of those 20x20 curls

I do bodyweight and the common lifts. I guess I don't need to get lifting shoes yet. Maybe I'll save up and get it for christmas.  :D

Haha never seen one wearing a belt while doing curls lolol. Guy/gal must be thinking he/she is a superhero  :cheers:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #816 on: May 29, 2017, 09:13:06 AM
Never seen it? You should pay a visit to the gym I go to at the moment.

You get all kinds of noobs. Curling with a belt? Check!

Doing 140 kg squat with knees going far pass the toes with about half the normal depth of squatting? Check!

Standing ab rollouts while not being able to do them properly from the knees? Check!

Using chalk for doing light curls? Check!

Doing the maneuver I call shadow smurfing (should be the F word) instead of doing curls (it is similar to shadow boxing the only difference is you use your hips not the fists) with twice the weight they might be able to handle? Check!
 ::)
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

hr Offline styx

Reply #817 on: May 29, 2017, 02:08:45 PM
You sure you're not going to my gym?

hr Offline styx

Reply #818 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:12 PM
back in the meat grinder after the deload week. today was deadlift day - 187.5 kg (413.4lbs) max weight for 5+ reps. hit 10 so i'm feeling good about that. on the other hand the front squats and kettlebell swings that followed made sure i'll be crawling tomorrow

as a side note done 7000 swings of that 10k swing challenge. still sucks

hr Offline styx

Reply #819 on: June 11, 2017, 03:18:42 PM
completed the 10 00 swings challenge. oddly 3rd and 4th week were the toughest ones

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #820 on: July 18, 2017, 03:20:33 AM
Had me a spotter for last night's workout ;)

K-Tibbs

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #821 on: July 18, 2017, 03:37:27 AM
Did she critique your form?

I can afford to start back at the gym now. Only twice a week ATM (once upper body, once lower). Would like to increase that.
I try to use free weights wherever possible over machines and dumbells over barbells.
Trying to find some good glute exercises as I think my lower back pain isn't helped by glutes not firing and weak abs.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #822 on: July 18, 2017, 06:11:38 AM

I can afford to start back at the gym now. Only twice a week ATM (once upper body, once lower). Would like to increase that.
I try to use free weights wherever possible over machines and dumbells over barbells.
Trying to find some good glute exercises as I think my lower back pain isn't helped by glutes not firing and weak abs.
Haha, no, but she wanted to use the machine. 

K-Tibbs

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #823 on: July 18, 2017, 06:18:30 AM
... but you didn't let her in case she lifted more than you?  :D  :pok:

hr Offline styx

Reply #824 on: July 18, 2017, 08:50:25 AM

Front squats. Those will force your abs and back to keep you upright and glutes to push you up. Bulgarian split squats are also a good option (maybe even better for some). Most would say lunges but those can lead to inflammation in the knees. And if you're not afraid of looking silly, there is the glute bridge.
As far as abs go - hanging leg raises, ab wheel, dead bugs (those can help with an achy back), dragon flags and somewhat controversial cable or band crunches.

I hope you're proud of the good habits she is developing

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #825 on: July 18, 2017, 01:19:56 PM

Front squats. Those will force your abs and back to keep you upright and glutes to push you up. Bulgarian split squats are also a good option (maybe even better for some). Most would say lunges but those can lead to inflammation in the knees. And if you're not afraid of looking silly, there is the glute bridge.
As far as abs go - hanging leg raises, ab wheel, dead bugs (those can help with an achy back), dragon flags and somewhat controversial cable or band crunches.

I will have to look all those up.  :salute:
I no longer use the squat rack as I could feel it doing bad things to my back. Now I do one-legged (don't know the proper name) and sumo squats using a swiss ball against the wall, and lunges.
Tonight I am sure I looked very silly doing a pelvic thrust thing with a barbell, kinda sounds like a glute bridge?  :think:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #826 on: July 18, 2017, 03:13:39 PM
... but you didn't let her in case she lifted more than you?  :D  :pok:
I reduced the resistance so there was no chance of her showing me up ;)

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #827 on: July 18, 2017, 03:15:59 PM

I do hope she develops an enjoyment of exercise, as I did not as a child.

K-Tibbs

hr Offline styx

Reply #828 on: July 18, 2017, 03:53:58 PM

I will have to look all those up.  :salute:
I no longer use the squat rack as I could feel it doing bad things to my back. Now I do one-legged (don't know the proper name) and sumo squats using a swiss ball against the wall, and lunges.
Tonight I am sure I looked very silly doing a pelvic thrust thing with a barbell, kinda sounds like a glute bridge?  :think:

Hip thrusts and glute bridges are the same thing.

Squats can jack up one's back, especially if the core isn't tight enough. Were you doing low bar or high bar? Usually low bar squats can turn into good mornings and do bad things to your low back, while misses on high bar can do more damage on upper back. At least in my experience. That's why I do volume with front squats. Not the easiest to have that proper set up but if you're failing, you'll know it before you wreck yourself.

I do hope she develops an enjoyment of exercise, as I did not as a child.

Well if she can spend time helping you and in a way competing then she'll probably love it

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #829 on: August 02, 2017, 02:30:08 PM
I tried Bulgarian Split Squats tonight. I only had a 10kg dumbell in each hand and had trouble keeping my balance, but I think it is doing me some good.  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #830 on: August 02, 2017, 02:33:06 PM
that's great

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #831 on: August 02, 2017, 02:35:04 PM
I did some deadlifts as well. Do I get a gold sticker?

hr Offline styx

Reply #832 on: August 02, 2017, 04:11:44 PM
No. You'll develop a serious condition now of kicking ass

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #833 on: August 02, 2017, 11:23:47 PM
That's good, it's my ass I'm trying to kickstart.  ;)

The second half of each deadlift I squeezed my glutes which I think help get me up.

hr Offline styx

Reply #834 on: August 03, 2017, 07:55:03 AM
They do. Just be careful with your grip. If you're using a mixed grip (one hand over, one hand under) make sure to switch every set because you could develop a muscle imbalance and be sure to read on what causes biceps tears to avoid 'em as best possible.
If you're using a hook grip - the pain goes away in about 4 months. At least I'm told that it does.

Also take care of your calluses. Cut 'em, grind 'em and depending on your skin and weather you might need to use some hand creme. A callus tear sucks and it can effectively mess up your work out (among other things) for a few weeks. The hand creme might make you laugh but I've head skin tear right above a callus as the finger starts.
Oh and use lifting chalk. If your gym doesn't allow it, look for another gym. Your health and safety should be higher up in the priority ladder than a few people getting dirty and 30 extra seconds of vacuuming if chalk gets into those rubber horse mats

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #835 on: August 03, 2017, 08:55:40 AM
I use gloves, mainly to get a grip on sweaty bars and to not leave mine behind.
I am overhand on the deadlifts.

hr Offline styx

Reply #836 on: August 03, 2017, 01:21:33 PM
eventually the overhand grip strength will become the limiting factor. for me it was around the 140kg mark because the bar simply rolled a bit too much. doesn't help if the bars are bent

ca Offline JP

Reply #837 on: August 03, 2017, 01:57:51 PM
You fellas are dangerously close of going into Beast Mode. Excellent!!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #838 on: August 03, 2017, 02:01:17 PM
eventually the overhand grip strength will become the limiting factor. for me it was around the 140kg mark because the bar simply rolled a bit too much.
I think that won't be a problem for me for quite some time then.  :whistle:

hr Offline styx

Reply #839 on: August 03, 2017, 05:25:09 PM
how? if you started with 60kg, even if you deadlift once a week it is a lift that tolerates 5kg jumps so to get to 140 when things get a bit heavier will take 16 weeks. even if you miss your reap goal a few times we can say 18 to 19 weeks barring injury. and that can be considered a very slow and conservative progression

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%