Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The (Great?) Workout Thread.

AHB · 1085 · 54992

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The (Great?) Workout Thread.
Reply #870 on: October 21, 2017, 10:07:37 PM
well you gotta know were you're starting and choose a direction. now if you don't want to step on a scale it is just as easy to use the mirror as a gauge (perhaps even better). I had to step on the scale to adjust my calories, but it really is demoralizing if you don't see progress on it (hence why the mirror is better)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #871 on: October 26, 2017, 09:05:10 PM
Well that’s good, I do but don’t even want to step on that scale, cause if I find out that by doing these crunches and feeling the pain does nothing I’m going to want to just stop, yet if it has done something then I’m going to want to double down on the workout..
JR
JR - you may not see the results in the mirror at first, it happens gradually.
Your crunches will tone and strengthen the abs, but as you described, you are trying to eliminate a “beer belly”!
That is best done by counting calories and doing whole body fitness, like walking and other repetitive movements. The Beer belly is result of excessive fat surrounding the organs in and around the mid section. 
Monitoring via scale maybe the best measure, but do it weekly or every 5 Days.   
But do follow a eating plan, no deviation, reward yourself with a NON FOOD item when a goal is met.  Just do this in steps. 

My niece has MS, received infusions every 4 weeks.  Results were not notice until she shed several pounds, still sways to go, but now walking without an aid and some symptoms have gone away.  4 months ago she was in bed full time relying on someone else to move her limbs to regain strength.

Stay the plan results will occur. 

All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

hr Offline styx

Reply #872 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:38 PM
another way to possibly go is one of those body fat percantage scales or calipers, although I have no idea how accurate they are

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline styx

Reply #873 on: November 07, 2017, 01:49:39 PM
down to 99.6kg

Today's workout was exhausting. Lots of power cleans, split jerks, front and back squats and accessory work

hr Offline styx

Reply #874 on: November 17, 2017, 05:27:44 PM
just agreed to a powerlifting meet I got an invitation to. now I gotta focus for the next month (it is on the 16th of December)

hr Offline styx

Reply #875 on: November 26, 2017, 11:10:18 PM
so got to my final warning before getting kicked out of the gym (oddly it was my first warning as well), switched gyms, not sure the invitation to the meet still stands

on the off chance someone actually reads this thread, this is why i got that warning - i was doing front squats and on 3 consecutive sets i noticed someone smurfing around on the platform right behind me. there were 3 platforms free and the general unwritten rule is "don't smurf on the platform when someone is lifting on it". ofc it is some kid and since i'm partial to keeping my spine and legs not broken and wouldn't want for someone else to get hurt if i miss a lift, i tell him exactly that. he gets pissy about the way i told him even though the smurf didn't hear himself say an absolutely idiotic thing (if you need your music to get in the zone and focus on walking you either have some very serious medical explanation* or you're just a douchebag).
few days later his friend get in my face and start taunting me, baiting for that explosive reaction that would have put his behind on the ground and me in a metric smurf ton of trouble with the law (there is some bs in our laws that differentiates between minor, younger non minor and simply non minor). head coach gets wind of it, says he'll kick us out and i tell him no problem as long as there 2 idiots are flying out with me. apparently that was what got me the final warning.

*people with illnesses, different kinds of disabilities, injuries or recovering from the same and some psychological issues. in my experience, people who have those medical explanations are also very mindful of their surroundings and often ask for assistance when in a generally hazardous place 

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #876 on: November 27, 2017, 02:33:53 PM
I always found it interesting that the biggest smurfbags that fill all the space around them are normally the least accomplished in what they are doing.

This really often comes in to a play in gyms in my experience:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

:twak:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

hr Offline styx

Reply #877 on: November 27, 2017, 02:50:07 PM
well a gym setting is easy breeding ground for that. so many different ways to show you're "good" at something while hiding your deficiencies and inserting variables

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #878 on: November 27, 2017, 03:08:54 PM
well a gym setting is easy breeding ground for that. so many different ways to show you're "good" at something while hiding your deficiencies and inserting variables

Absence of roid-smurfs was the criterion on which I based the choice of my current gym. But you still get the young-one-smurfs. The good thing is most of them either give up or hurt themselves badly enough that they stop visiting the gym. Only problem seems to be that there is an infinite supply of them.  :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #879 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:54 PM

Absence of roid-smurfs was the criterion on which I based the choice of my current gym. But you still get the young-one-smurfs. The good thing is most of them either give up or hurt themselves badly enough that they stop visiting the gym. Only problem seems to be that there is an infinite supply of them.  :D

to avoid those, just look for the bare bones equipment without a smurfton of machines

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #880 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:37 AM

to avoid those, just look for the bare bones equipment without a smurfton of machines

To avoid whom? The roid-smurfs or the young-one-smurfs? I presume that you mean the latter. Well, I already do use only free weights and yet I still get tones of the young ones. It is true that mostly they do biceps curls with a technique I like to call shadow smufing (<-- substitute with synonym for coitus starting with f). It is similar to shadow boxing, the difference is that the thing you are doing to the shadow less war and more love. Anyway there is still a smurfload of them around.  :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #881 on: November 28, 2017, 10:12:56 AM

To avoid whom? The roid-smurfs or the young-one-smurfs? I presume that you mean the latter. Well, I already do use only free weights and yet I still get tones of the young ones. It is true that mostly they do biceps curls with a technique I like to call shadow smufing (<-- substitute with synonym for coitus starting with f). It is similar to shadow boxing, the difference is that the thing you are doing to the shadow less war and more love. Anyway there is still a smurfload of them around.  :D

and that is where the story of how i got that warning begins. they don't understand free weights of any sort

hr Offline styx

Reply #882 on: December 24, 2017, 11:36:06 AM
as of Tuesday I'm down to 95kg (209.4lbs) meaning I have 1 more to go. Probably won't step on a scale 'till mid January, but considering everything I'll be starting a version of the German volume training program in February and running that till April (actually it is 8 weeks long)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #883 on: December 24, 2017, 12:14:45 PM
I'm about 95kg these days and my gym membership has just run out, so I will probably weigh more soon!
The office doesn't reopen for two weeks and I don't have the money anyway.

hr Offline styx

Reply #884 on: December 24, 2017, 02:44:16 PM
home workouts?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #885 on: December 24, 2017, 09:31:04 PM
Yeah I will have to sort something out. I could use a local playground for chin-ups which I am terrible at. Press-ups and ab exercises at home. Maybe some squats.

At the gym yesterday I was using one side of the cables to do various leg exercises. Some meatheads kinda pushed in on the other side to do their triceps. There wasn't really room for them and I was somewhat taken aback. It got too late to say anything and one of them was twice my size anyway. When there was a gap I continued with my exercises and saw one of them look at his mate and roll his eyes. These guys just do chest and arms. I have never seen them do anything else and they are very big up top but not much down below. They also do these supersets where they gather lots of weights around them and commandeer 2-3 benches or machines at once which isn't very considerate of other people.

hr Offline styx

Reply #886 on: December 24, 2017, 10:01:11 PM
so basically they do everything that just about every article, workout tip video and similar thing say not to do

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #887 on: December 24, 2017, 10:12:34 PM
I think so. I don't talk to them or watch them too closely.

I'm quite happy with all my leg, glute and ab exercises. My back pain is much less of an issue lately. I just get sore neck/traps from bad posture whilst at my desk.

hr Offline styx

Reply #888 on: December 25, 2017, 11:14:26 AM
Try face pulls and band pullaparts. Actually you can even combine them in a single exercise. That tends to help

hr Offline styx

Reply #889 on: February 16, 2018, 09:21:41 PM
got an idea I'd like to try. anyone want to be a guinea pig?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #890 on: February 16, 2018, 09:25:45 PM
Depends. Do I get money or food?

hr Offline styx

Reply #891 on: February 16, 2018, 11:02:27 PM
no. actually, if I am to judge by my previous guinea pigs (myself being one of them), you might start eating more and having some issues with fitting in clothes because arms, shoulders and legs tend to get bigger

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #892 on: February 17, 2018, 09:35:28 AM
One thing that definitely needs to get bigger is my shoulders.
Not going to the gym for three months doesn't help either.

hr Offline styx

Reply #893 on: February 17, 2018, 10:23:20 AM
One thing that definitely needs to get bigger is my shoulders.
Not going to the gym for three months doesn't help either.

didn't you have that back issue? taking it easier might have been the right choice

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #894 on: February 17, 2018, 10:28:21 AM
My lower back is much better now thanks to sitting down less, stretching my psoas and tightening my abs and glutes.
Now I get sore ankles from standing at work and my traps get tight.

hr Offline styx

Reply #895 on: February 17, 2018, 03:59:41 PM
well before I get accused of trying to murder someone, this is what my idea is - to do a reverse of German volume training. testing it out would take at least 6 weeks and since I'm in the middle of GVT (7 weeks left) I can't do it on myself.
GVT has some odd details to it and most of what can be found on the net are smurfized versions for powerlifters and bodybuilders (originally the program was for Olympic lifters), but the basic principle is that first 4 weeks the main movement is done 10 sets of 10 reps with 60 to 90 seconds rest, next 4 weeks it is 10x6 and then 10x3.
What I'm wondering is if strength and size could be increased with the progression reversed but repeating the load.
Here is an example of what I mean on that 6 week basis:
Week 1 - Squat 200lbs 10 sets 3 reps 60 seconds rest
Week 2 - Squat 205lbs 10 sets 3 reps 60 seconds rest
Week 3 - Squat 200lbs 10 sets 6 reps 60 seconds rest
Week 4 - Squat 205lbs 10 sets 6 reps 60 seconds rest
Week 5 - Squat 200lbs 10 sets 10 reps 60 seconds rest
Week 6 - Squat 205lbs 10 sets 10 reps 60 seconds rest

Ofc this is given that one would squat once a week which makes no sense to me since every day is leg day.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #896 on: March 09, 2018, 08:34:00 PM
I retrieved my dumbells and barbell (with limited weights) from my mothers house so I am going to try working out at home since I can't afford the gym.

hr Offline styx

Reply #897 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41:42 PM
great. if you need mad scientist ideas (or maybe just mad) just say

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #898 on: March 09, 2018, 10:47:35 PM
I'm cottoning on to Jeff Cavaliere's mantra of "training like an athlete" which includes doing exercises standing up where possible. When I first started weight training many years ago I was constantly told to do exercises that isolate muscle groups. Now I want to make it more functional and include other parts of the body since I want my whole body to work better together.
First step will be to replace the horrible collars and then try to go through my normal routine but find substitutes for the exercises I used to use machines and benches for.

hr Offline styx

Reply #899 on: March 10, 2018, 10:54:55 AM
Jeff is an amazing trainer and to be honest a lot of my programs are heavily influenced by him and Joe DeFranco. Only thing where you might have issues finding substitutes is the chest since cables or being on your back give you the most options, outside of pushup variations and dips. Although if you fancy making a pair of parallettes and getting some bands, you'd get a lot of options.

Speaking of Jeff, his butterfly press and hip hugger is an amazing combinations for strong and healthy shoulders

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%