Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Today I learned I have a leak

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Today I learned I have a leak
on: December 18, 2011, 11:27:19 PM
Ok.  I live in a pretty old Townhouse, about 30 years old.  The place is in really good shape, just a few repairs needed before we sell and move including a piece of siding that is cracked and repairing the pillars and wall around the windows in the back.  that is the largest repair but it is fairly common in our complex for rot to develop there so it's been done on 6 different units. 

But I digress.  We also have a jacuzzi tub in our master suite that hasn't been used since we moved in.  The former owners claimed they used it all the time.  Well today I was cleaning that bathroom and noticed that there was a bit of dust buildup in the tub so I decided it time for cleaning and was finally time to run the jacuzzi pump and see if it worked.  I had the tub filled in about 5 minutes and went downstairs to grab something.  My kitchen is directly below this tub, and I noticed that water was pouring out of my ac vent and my over head lighting.  I turned off the lights and went upstairs to drain the tub.  It seems that the jacuzzi system has a cracked pipe because I noticed a sharp decrease in the volume once the water had passed the intake. 

I would say that about 2 to 3 gallons made it out, if that.  I got it cleaned up pretty quick but I am still worried about mold and mildew.  Luckily it is winter so the humidity is down.  I don't think I will have a huge issue.   The extent of the flooding was contained to pretty much a 6 by 8 area, and not the entire area.  I only noticed three seepage points, and they are about a total of 1 square foot.  It tripped my kitchen circuit so I am keeping that circuit off for the time being until it all dries. 

Any thoughts?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Today I learned I have a leak
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:36 AM
I do all my own home repair and Ive had to deal with a similar issue.  Upstairs toilet overflowed and leaked through the ceiling.  I didnt have broken or cracked piping like you mention, but the cleanup was probably similar. 

I ended up cutting out the part of the ceiling that water passed though and just replaced that drywall and repainted.  It would have bugged me just to leave it and wonder if mold was growing.  You could always open up a small section enough to get a flashlight and maybe your head or mirror in to inspect. 

In your case since it could have been broken before you took ownership, it could have leaked previously, so if it were me i would want a visual inspection at least.  I'm probably more mold paranoid than I need to be, i alwasy wear a respirator to do that type of work as well, but Id rather be safe than sorry.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Today I learned I have a leak
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:07:27 AM
I am going to take a look at it.  I am calling my insurance agent tomorrow as this type of damage should be covered, even if they don't actually cover the damaged pipe.  We are just planning on redoing the whole kitchen ceiling now anyways.  My wife reacted in a surprising manner, she was not mad and was totally on board with redoing the ceiling.  She wants to sell this house as bad as I do so we are going to make it nice and get the hell out of it.  I don't know that I care to own another home again after living here. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%