Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wierd SC60w behavior and solution.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Wierd SC60w behavior and solution.
on: December 19, 2011, 12:18:42 AM
Hi all,

I got myself a Zebralight SC60w a few months ago, as I wanted to make sure to get one before they were discontinued and no longer available.  It's a great light, I really like just about everything about it.  It's the brightest EDC size light I have.

One particular thing about it though; when I first got it, I couldn't get any of my flat top 18650's to work with it.  I had to use one of those little rare earth spacer magnets on the positive pole to get it to make contact.

For several weeks, everything was just fine, until the night before last, I pulled the thing out of my drawer to use for comparison to my new L2X with a high CRI XPG in it.  Well, the light seemed like it had gone defective...  I tried all the usual steps, clean all the contacts, use a fully charged cell, etc.  Nothing seemed to work.  I thought the switch had crapped out.

Well, today, I had a realization; the PCB for it is exposed to the battery chamber and there are a few things in there that look like they're part of the driver circuits.  As a longshot, I took the magnet spacer off the top of the battery and tried it without it.

Not surprisingly, it solved the problem.  But what really caught me off guard is that the light now seems to work without the spacer on the cell, when it wouldn't work at all before, with any of the flat top 18650's I have...  Go figure.

Anyway, thought I'd pass that along to you all. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%