Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's Your Favorite Thing About the PST?

us Offline 550CordSurvivor

• Paracord solves every problem you can think of!
What's Your Favorite Thing About the PST?
on: December 20, 2011, 03:52:01 AM
One of my first knives I got was a PST that my uncle gave me when I was maybe 5 years old, and I've been carrying it ever since. The only reason I retired it is because the warranty is almost up. I still can't find a Leatherman that has the awesome compact size with the bomber amount of tools on it. So PST owners roger up... What do you love about it? Maybe Tim Leatherman will pay attention and make something that compares.

us Offline Adam Clark

• Strictly LEATHERMAN 99% of the time!
Re: What's Your Favorite Thing About the PST?
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:30:40 AM
I suppose the FACT that it's the innovator of awesomeness!
That tool started a revolution in the world of EDC. It paved the way, while others could only imitate  :cheers:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:25:27 AM
I like it because it's simple no frills . It's light slim and sheeple friendly and very high quality . All in all a very good tool .

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:54 AM
I like it because it's simple no frills . It's light slim and sheeple friendly and very high quality . All in all a very good tool .

x2 i like its compact feel and pocket friendlyness , i wish Tim would make a newer version  :-\

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:51 AM
its so pocketable!
Quality Control
Materials
Design

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:21:48 PM
The PST II was the better tool due to the right combo of tools. I still don't like how these old tools dig into the hands.

I guess I don't look back at the PST line with much nostalgia.  :think:  :D

If I had to select one, slim design would have to be it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:26:30 PM
It's discontinued

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:09 PM

x2 i like its compact feel and pocket friendlyness , i wish Tim would make a newer version  :-\
+3 :tu: I love these, come on Tim 30th anniversary PST in titanium with copper and brass highlights :drool:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:49:27 PM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 08:42:10 PM
...  I still can't find a Leatherman that has the awesome compact size with the bomber amount of tools on it. ...

The pliers and individual tools are better sized than the Juice series while keeping the overall weight low and form factor thin.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 05:39:05 PM
My Favorite Thing About The PST is that I have the 12 different PSTs on the picture, (even found a few other since) and knowing there's still variations outthere to be found..   8) 8)

And of course that one of my all time favorite threads is about it too..
Leatherman PST chronology project  :salute:

us Offline Adam Clark

• Strictly LEATHERMAN 99% of the time!
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 05:55:57 PM
My Favorite Thing About The PST is that I have the 12 different PSTs on the picture, (even found a few other since) and knowing there's still variations outthere to be found..   8) 8)

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice PST lean...... I just stared at this pic for 5 minutes, hahahaaaa...... That BO with wire crimper is my favorite!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 06:24:10 PM
It's discontinued

harsh. :D  As it happens I've got my PST 1.5 mod on me just now, it's the super slim feel that really does it for me.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 07:26:26 PM
It's discontinued

harsh. :D  As it happens I've got my PST 1.5 mod on me just now, it's the super slim feel that really does it for me.

Harsh, no - ambiguous yes  ;)

For the colector who has one, these will continue to decline in numbers pushing values up.
For the collector who doesn't, the chase is on
For those who don't like it - problem solved

... sorry, didn't have anything else positive to offer :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 10:31:57 PM
Slim, simple and elegant :)
Prone to daydreaming.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 11:32:23 PM
My PST was my first LM,I'd craved one for 4 or 5 years before I was able to get one(I was thankful to the rich smurf who couldnt fix his kids Hornby Railway,money from the job bought the LM).

Its been the only full size LM I've had and not found myself cursing the lack of a...well what ever I need but dont have!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 05:52:10 AM
The one thing that impresses me about the PST is that it actually lives up to it`s name. It is the POCKET SURVIVAL TOOL. From a collectors point of view there are a lot of variations to hunt down since it was in production for twenty one years. You can have a nice little PST collection with out spending a fortune.     :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline stack

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 07:39:36 AM
 I just love the pst. It is a well made, slim, light, in-expensive tool. Sure there are tool's that are newer and better but the pst was Leatherman's first and is still just as usefull today. It is cool to see how the tool evolved through the year's. Also like David said, there are a lot of variation's to hunt down, and it is a great joy searching for those early example's. And when you finaly get one, it is exciting. :ahhh :mail: :ahhh  I still carry my pst all the time at work and it save's me a trip to the tool box.  :)

us Offline 550CordSurvivor

• Paracord solves every problem you can think of!
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 08:13:47 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Good lord, man, that is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! Very nice collection. :cheers:

us Offline Strangelovecraft

Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 11:01:53 AM
 My favorite thing about it is that it delivered exactly what it promised. In spades... I've had my PST since 1992, and it was the only one I had or needed until I finally sent it in for long overdue overhaul when my wife bought me a Surge last year.
 I still love my PST- it saved my butt more times than I can remember. It was the first knife or tool-type thing I ever bought; I had a friend who swore by his- when he told me how he actually changed a tire (I b.s. you not) with his, I was convinced. And it never was far from reach. And when I finally DID send it in, they did a gorgeous job; factory fresh, and quick, too... Perfect for her well deserved rest.
 I have spent years preaching the gospel of Leatherman to anyone who would listen, and it's because it's a quality product that serves its purpose well, and they are a small company that really stands behind its product. My PST is a constant reminder of this...
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, and usually that's good enough"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 02:32:28 PM
Wow, jumping up from a PST to a Surge must have been a shocking weight difference! :o  Welcome to the forum BTW. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 02:39:02 PM
The things I like best about the PST are that it packs SO much function in such a compact package.  I also like the clean, industrial lines of the tool.  My PST was my EDC up until I swapped to a Skeletool.  (I've moved to a Charge now...)

My PST is retired.  Multitools have greatly improved, but, I still like it's industrial design.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:52 PM
Like others have said, I like mine for it's compact slim package and incredible amount of tools for it's size.  I can actually put this tool in my pocket without it feeling too clunky, something I can't say for the Juice line.  While I really dig the Jeese, they are a bit heavy and sit in a shorter package than the PST, making them a chunk in my pocket unless I am wearing reinforced-pocket pants like Dickies or Carhartts.  The PST, Sideclip, and Pulse are my favorite retired LMs, and all hold a high spot on my list of favorite tools of all time. 

A PST was my first MT.  Before that I had borrowed my dads gerber, but the PST was the first one I actually owned.  It was stolen at school and then my folks bought me my now old beat up sideclip.  I used that one for years as well, then I got a juice for christmas from my boss in 2005.  That started the chain reaction for me because I soon bought a blast and got involved with this place after I broke the screwdriver on it and wanted to see what else was out there. 

Everything else aside, I just love to fiddle with the PST, the one I have now is a 98 model and it just oozes quality and utility.  I carry it from time to time for fun, the only issue I ever have is the handles have that pesky tendency to hurt my hands when I am squeezing something.  Beyond that it performs the same if not better than other newer non locking models.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 10:45:46 PM
Simple.

Slim.

Fits nicely in the pocket.

And don't forget the PST II. It has a good pair of scissors (good scissors on a full sized MT is a foreign concept with Leatherman nowadays.)

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 11:43:13 PM
I like how durable they are.  You could probably run a PST over with a Bradley Tank and it would still work. 

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 11:46:47 PM
I have to side with Shamus and GenevaBuck; also, too, though, they pack so many tools into such a tiny frame.  That's why I try to pick up like new ones whenever I'm in a pawn store. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%